Grandia HD Collection on Nintendo Switch

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
brit
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Grandia HD Collection on Nintendo Switch

Post by brit »

Price for the collection is going to be $39.99 and digital only. I’m hoping that if sales go well for this collection they might actually give the Lunar games the same treatment. <3 One can hope anyway!

Anyone remember Grandia? If so is this a title you think you will pick up?

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Grandia HD Collection on Nintendo Switch

Post by Sonic# »

I picked the collection up. It has been a long time since I played Grandia, so I figured that having it on portable was worth the price of admission.

So far, it has been a giddy experience. I forgot how much I liked the writing and humor in this game.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I was pretty excited until I heard that the ports weren't good. Have you noticed anything?
「まあいいけど。」

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

After about 12 hours, I've noticed a few things in Grandia that may give pause if you have high expectations.

1. Occasionally music or sounds will glitch when transitioning to a battle or (especially) a boss. It self-corrects after a moment, and isn't an issue afterward.
2. Widescreen is mostly very convenient, especially for dungeon navigation. During a few cutscenes, the widescreen allows me to see little heads or sprites peeking out where they would have been completely out of sight in the original. I find it more fascinating than anything.
3. Widescreen with the anime cutscenes is cheated with a border that reproduces a certain amount of the cutscene and makes it fuzzy. If I don't pay attention to it, it looks widescreen, and for landscape panoramas (which Grandia is full of) it looks good. Otherwise, I can imagine it being distracting.
4. The filtering seems basic. Characters look smoothed out and less grainy; backgrounds look mostly sharp. It looks about the equivalent of playing Phantasy Star IV with the built-in filters in the Sega Genesis Collection - better in most ways, with a couple of quirks here or there. (There was a poster in a military base that looked anatomically odd.)
5. Once I froze on the loading screen and had to reset. It has never frozen while playing.

As a player who is fairly forgiving of technical details, none of this has harmed my enjoyment of the game. The most vocal complaints I've encountered have been from people who regularly emulate and have very high standards of both what goes into a remaster and what price said remaster is sold at. Personally, I wanted it to (a) work, (b) have language options, (c) look at least a bit better, and (d) have fast forward. I got (a), (b), and (c), so I'm pretty happy.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I picked it up the day it came out and have been obsessively playing since. XD I finished Grandia last week, and am now working on II. Forgot how awesome the games were.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I hope this leads to them making a nice HD version of both LUNARS for the PSX.
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

ShugoHanasaki wrote:I hope this leads to them making a nice HD version of both LUNARS for the PSX.
YES PLEASE. :D

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

It wouldn't be that difficult either. They already kind of HD'd a bunch of things for the Touch version.
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions