What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I never understood the confusion around Chrono Cross. I got introduced to that game when i was very young. I think 11/12. I had recently completed Chrono Trigger and was not lost at the story or the hints or the lore. So many people complained about it and hated it because it wasn't a proper sequel to them, but it truly was. It just wasn't the sequel they had expectations for. Every time I've played it through the last two decades I'm reminded why I love it so much and it still makes me think about many things in different ways to this day.

It's an amazing story. With so many people being confused over it... Majority it seems... I don't understand how i understood it completely at such a young age and to this day so many people struggle with its story.
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

ShugoHanasaki wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:19 am I never understood the confusion around Chrono Cross. I got introduced to that game when i was very young. I think 11/12. I had recently completed Chrono Trigger and was not lost at the story or the hints or the lore. So many people complained about it and hated it because it wasn't a proper sequel to them, but it truly was. It just wasn't the sequel they had expectations for. Every time I've played it through the last two decades I'm reminded why I love it so much and it still makes me think about many things in different ways to this day.

It's an amazing story. With so many people being confused over it... Majority it seems... I don't understand how i understood it completely at such a young age and to this day so many people struggle with its story.
I think a big issue a lot of people have is with the confusing character stories. There are 45 characters in your party, and trying to remember the conversations you had with the 2 versions of themselves was difficult. I was often trying to remember which version I was talking to. Was this the Fargo that ... or was it the Fargo in Home World? Does that make sense? Replaying the game helps, but the first playthrough can leave you feeling a bit dizzy.

As for me, I'm playing FF Tactics for the first time. Love it so far.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I guess I just never experienced that confusion and I haven't for the past 20 years (^^;;) Makes me wonder why it didn't affect me like it did others
Lotus Moon Productions

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I recently cleared Words Worth by Elf corporation, specifically the Words Worth remake for Windows XP (works fine on Win10.) It was a very simplistic action game, so even a turn-based loyalist like me could finish it. The cutscenes were in 90's visual novel style, which was great. The fan-translation was bad, it was frequently missing pronouns, but not so bad that I couldn’t understand what was being said. The music was just ok. Voice acting was good. Characters, character art, and story were the biggest pluses. Overall I don’t think it’s as revolutionary as YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World, (the first Elf game I finished, specifically the PC-9800 version), but still very enjoyable.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Just finished Valkyria Chronicles 1. Loved the Skies of Arcadia references. Great game. I lost 8 people to permadeath. Brutal on my emotions.

Now on to Shining Force CD.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm pretty much spending all my time playing Horizon Forbidden West right now. As a huge Horizon fan it's pretty much all I hoped for -- 100 hours in and I think I'm just under 50% done, partly because I'm spending a lot of time just going off and exploring.
WD RPG WD wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:02 pmNow on to Shining Force CD.
I'm curious how you find this! I loved the Shining Force series (1, 2, and all three episodes of 3) but never got my hands on SFCD. Wondering if it's worth trying since it's real tough to find and expensive these days.
~Kizyr (they|them)

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Kizyr wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:53 pm I'm pretty much spending all my time playing Horizon Forbidden West right now. As a huge Horizon fan it's pretty much all I hoped for -- 100 hours in and I think I'm just under 50% done, partly because I'm spending a lot of time just going off and exploring.
WD RPG WD wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:02 pmNow on to Shining Force CD.
I'm curious how you find this! I loved the Shining Force series (1, 2, and all three episodes of 3) but never got my hands on SFCD. Wondering if it's worth trying since it's real tough to find and expensive these days.
Interesting coincidence. Ryoichi Hasegawa was on my zoom birthday chat, if you remember. He worked on Shining force CD and he's also the executive producer of the localization of Forbidden West. Look for him in the credits.

I like the game so far. I'm playing on the hardest mode of 4 modes and it's a good challenge. I like having 2 separate stories with their own parties of 19 or so characters, and then having them combine into 1 large team for the third chapter. Oh, and I did not pay for it... Sorry. I'm not paying $250 for a video game. If it was available on the Switch store, I'd buy it that way, but Camelot/Sonic Software isn't interested.
Attachments
275552651_5636461199715191_4188738221659764290_n.jpg
275552651_5636461199715191_4188738221659764290_n.jpg (300.46 KiB) Viewed 102873 times

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'm playing Lost Judgment and love it. I'm on Chapter 9 now and blowing through the school stories. Currently, I'm trying to make Yagami into the best scooter-motorcyclist ever.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Sonic# wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:10 pm I'm playing Lost Judgment and love it. I'm on Chapter 9 now and blowing through the school stories. Currently, I'm trying to make Yagami into the best scooter-motorcyclist ever.
I'm posting too much....

I've played every RGG game in existence and have spent more time with Lost Judgement than any other in the series.

It was my favorite. I completed all the school side quests and the one that everyone hated the most, ended up as my favorite. Robot fighting.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I hit a major difficulty spike with the robot fighting. I switched up my robot frames so that I controlled a balanced model rather than the small, speedy model, tweaked some other modules, and came back to win handily. The need to revisit prior, entrenched ways of how to play the game seems to jibe well with a story focused so much on leadership styles and project worker dynamics. I worked at a tech school for a while and I saw those character personalities frequently. It's still not my favorite school club (love dance club), but it'll probably be a top 3.

It's difficult for me to write about the game (you saw how short my post was) because so much of the experience is in fine touches. For example, I've had the game going a couple of times during the day just to show my child the cats that can be fed, pet, or looked at. I'll get into tough fights just to go to restaurants and eat delicious-looking food or drink whiskey I've had in real life. I'll start each play session with a round at the batting cages or Mahjong; I'm terrible at Mahjong, but I like that RGG games recreate games like Mahjong and Shogi and feel like the routine helps me get into the game.

The game gets the big stuff right too (the story, the characters, the setting), but it's the detail in the school stories and the other interactive elements that win me over.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Sonic# wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:27 pm I hit a major difficulty spike with the robot fighting. I switched up my robot frames so that I controlled a balanced model rather than the small, speedy model, tweaked some other modules, and came back to win handily. The need to revisit prior, entrenched ways of how to play the game seems to jibe well with a story focused so much on leadership styles and project worker dynamics. I worked at a tech school for a while and I saw those character personalities frequently. It's still not my favorite school club (love dance club), but it'll probably be a top 3.

It's difficult for me to write about the game (you saw how short my post was) because so much of the experience is in fine touches. For example, I've had the game going a couple of times during the day just to show my child the cats that can be fed, pet, or looked at. I'll get into tough fights just to go to restaurants and eat delicious-looking food or drink whiskey I've had in real life. I'll start each play session with a round at the batting cages or Mahjong; I'm terrible at Mahjong, but I like that RGG games recreate games like Mahjong and Shogi and feel like the routine helps me get into the game.

The game gets the big stuff right too (the story, the characters, the setting), but it's the detail in the school stories and the other interactive elements that win me over.
I agree with everything you've said, except for the dancing... I can't stand timing music games, which is slightly ironic, as a music composer.

I've spent time as a teacher in China, similar to the school in the game, and it brought back the feelings of being with children and feeling that self worth, as children are always excited to see you.

The main story is really well done too. Yagami isn't perfect. He's reckless, somewhat dogmatic in his principles, and his exchanges with Kuwana are great. The antagonists are believable and the world is clearly different from the old school Yakuza days.

Akutsu is particularly interesting to me, because he wants to be a Yakuza officer like the old days, but clearly doesn't understand what it means to be a Yakuza, from what the previous games have established anyway. He's a poor leader and doesn't know the first thing about running an organization. He thinks man power is all he needs. I found myself rooting for him to make it work.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

I just beat Breath of Fire III. I don't remember if I beat it as a kid so I just went ahead and did it. I collected all the Dragon Genes, mastered under all the Masters and beat the Berserkr and ArchMage at the end. It was really fun BoFIII has always been one of my favorite RPGs ever.

I dunno if I'll go ahead and do BoFIV next or play something else completely different?

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey, sorry for dbl posting.

I just beat Breath of Fire IV. 38:54. Finally, it was nice to finally beat this one as it’s always just lingering there in my collection I’d start-and-stop it all the time. Overall I think I enjoyed II and III the most in the BoF series. They’re just so nostalgic for me really takes me back to when I was a kid.

Next on the list I was thinking about: BoF: Dragon Quarter (obvs), Suikoden V or I was half-thinking about cont with Growlanser III. Hope you’re all having a good one! Cheers!

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Currently playing Tales of Arise and then i'll be purchasing Atelier Sophie 2 (^.^)
Lotus Moon Productions

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Working on replaying Final Fantasy VII.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey, I beat BoF: Dragon Quarter (surprise!) It was really short, but I thought it was really fun to go through like the combat and stuff. I liked the ending. Apparently I think they want you to go through the game multiple times but once is enough for me right now. I beat the Breath of Fire series finally. (shock)

I’m not really sure what to play next. I’m going through my Backloggery right now. I might try to stick around PS1-PS2 era. Who knows?

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Still working at Final Fantasy VII.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Almost done with Tales of Arise! Great story. I've already beaten it. I'm just doing some of the extra stuff. I highly recommend it to any Tales fan!
Lotus Moon Productions

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I have played about 8 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I'm in chapter 2, just now with a full party of six characters. It is impressive how well combat with six characters feels balanced so far; yes, it's too fast to follow every action, but I can do pretty well by just following one or two characters at a time and trying to coordinate. So far, it is my favorite Xenoblade combat to date.

The story is interesting so far too. It certainly has the Xenoblade tendency to have very long cutscenes for what could be simpler affairs, but I like how each character has a dual character or foil, how the dystopian elements in the first chapter (a blender of Logan's Run, Starship Troopers, and maybe Ender's Game) are implemented, and where I think the story is going.

There is also a lot of exploration. It's one reason why I'm only in chapter 2.
Sonic#

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

At long last I'm finally playing FFX-2 (HD Remastered version).

I haven't played FFX. The only things I knew about the first game going in were character names, the soundtrack, and Tidus' laugh.

Really enjoying it so far. I find myself identifying with Yuna a lot.
~Kizyr (they|them)