What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Kizyr »

I'm finally getting to play the FF7 Remake (PS4).

The main thing I don't like is that so much of it, still even after 40+ hours in, seems needlessly complex. It took a long time to get comfortable with the action RPG fighting system and still sometimes I find myself button mashing because I can't figure out how to work the controls for issuing other commands quick enough -- and the myriad shortcuts actually make this a harder task. But, I'm now at least at a point where I can fight pretty decently (which is why I didn't want to tone down the difficulty) and the challenge level feels right.

That said, nearly everything else about the game I am thoroughly enjoying. Surprisingly, the voice actors for Cloud, Tifa, and Barret, sound exactly like what I expected, and though Aeris/Aerith sounds different from what I had in mind she's likewise incredibly good (not to mention all other side characters). I'm really enjoying the scenery and worldbuilding, the exploration, the story and how much more in-depth they went, all of that.

For the original FF7, I mostly enjoyed it right up to the end of the first disc (when you left Midgar), after which the pacing took a nose dive and it became almost boring to finish (except for isolated parts: Cosmo Canyon, dealing with Yuffie 'til she joins the party, etc.). I'm hoping that when they continue with the rest of this, they'll also do right by the pacing.
~Kizyr

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Alunissage »

I was really surprised by how much I liked the remake, including the voices. Aerith's bugged me a little at first but as she eased into the group her voice started sounding more natural. Also...I had the feeling that her character couldn't lie, or at least was really bad at it? It seemed like she did things like shake her head instead of verbalizing when she had to lie. I never played the original game myself after the first half hour*, though I've watched most of it being played at one time or another, so I don't know if that's actually part of the character or just something I'm projecting.

I also found myself liking Cloud, which I did not expect. Though I still think it's a little out of character for him to be provoked so easily by Reno.

* I had only played turn-based RPGs, and not many of them, when I got FF7, and did not appreciate being dumped into a battle system I was totally unfamiliar with and that was time-based right at the outset.