Slipping the kids an evil Mickey

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
BattleMedic
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Slipping the kids an evil Mickey

Post by BattleMedic »

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

I don't know if I should be angry or amused
To have no fear, you must know fear.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

anger sucks so there goes the sensibility of that option. i don't see anything that we can really do. i love the irony and the creativity, but altogether it sucks a lot.

if lunar had the popularity of mickey, then maybe they'd do the jihad kids instead of the dragon kids.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

That IS disgusting. I for one am upset.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

LuNaRtIc wrote:That IS disgusting. I for one am upset.
are you going to make an effort to see if you can do anything to help the situation or will you just discuss it for a while and let it go when it becomes a boring subject like hurricane katrina?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

It's pathetic and not cool. Doesn't matter who does it, using what character, to use a gimmic like this to try to preach hatred and violence to children is bad.

*waits for the "Well look at Tom and Jerry and what they do in their shows" debate*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

are you going to make an effort to see if you can do anything to help the situation or will you just discuss it for a while and let it go when it becomes a boring subject like hurricane katrina?
Eh? Not sure what you're getting at with Lunartic here, and not sure there's anything most people CAN do in this kind of situation. Disney themselves won't even be able to do anything. It's not like they can up and sue an organization like that.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Discussing things is what messageboards like this one are FOR. Your implied guilt trip is pretty ridiculous:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:i don't see anything that we can really do
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:are you going to make an effort to see if you can do anything to help the situation or will you just discuss it for a while and let it go when it becomes a boring subject like hurricane katrina

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

i'm pretty much remarking on how quickly people generally go from OMG AWFUL to "hey, we were talking about that LAST week!"

not saying SHE'S like that, but that does seem like forum culture almost.

edit: no guilt trip implied but for the sake of comedy here goes...
lunartic, how do you sleep at night as children are indoctrinated this way? as a nall fangirl, you should save them! or find a heroic group to do for you....either way.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'll spell it out for you:

"Are you going to do something about it, or just talk about it?" implies that the person being addressed SHOULD be doing something about it. Actions speak louder than words and all that. At best it's a challenge; at worst it's a goad or an expression of scorn.

"...let it go when it becomes a boring subject like Katrina" implies that the person addressed also took no action (and should have) and considers Katrina a boring topic (uncaring).
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:i'm pretty much remarking on how quickly people generally go from OMG AWFUL to "hey, we were talking about that LAST week!"

not saying SHE'S like that, but that does seem like forum culture almost.
Oh, give up with the backpedaling. You didn't make a statement about people in general, you replied to HER post and addressed HER. We're sick of your little game of making snide remarks and then claiming that you were being general or meant something else and other people just aren't bothering to understand you. Your words speak for themselves. If they're not saying what you want them to, the burden is on you to fix that.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

i won't go on about that subject since you've decided my intent for me.

you seem to be one of the few to act like a tool. it's almost like you hound my posts. i don't see G1 or ilovemyguitar seeming to lose their cool. did anyone ELSE get pissy when i kept expressing my dislike of dragon song? seems to me like YOU'RE having the problem. remember your reaction in that old thread about the dark scimitar where you ended up griped at?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

1) People often don't feel the need to chime in when they agree with criticism another person has posted, so the number of people posting is not necessarily the number of people with that opinion.

2) You're referring to a conversation from two years ago in this context? Did you even bother to read the entire thread?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

i read enough to see you make an assumption about the intentions of the poster.

the dragon song thing pertains to you being the only one to read my repeated negative opinions on it and feel the need to complain.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hey, the Dark Scimitar is a touchy subject for some. Anyway, I don't think you can blame Alunissage for making assumption of your intentions for saying something. Everyone does the exact same thing. The difference is that she's calling you out on it. I'm sure most everyone thought the same thing. If that's not how you want to be pereceived by others, tone it down a notch.

People are probably going to make the assumption that I'm doing this to be a busybody... but hey whatever. I realize that could happen. We all have two choices. You can either not care that people will perceive you in a certain way. Or you can modify your behavior. You can't, however, act defensive about it.

Also, I probably would have argued with you about your opinion. But I was already argued out at that point by arguing with some guy at Gamefaqs.
Last edited by Werefrog on Thu May 10, 2007 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

For the record, I did think you came off as almost attacking Lunartic, BG, which is why I responded as I did. Thing is, I would hope anyone here wouldn't be the type to brag about any charity work they do anyways. While I know not everyone here is a Christian, I do want to point out these few verses:

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' in front of others, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
- first part of Matthew 6

There's more further into that chapter, but one of the points I think Jesus was trying to make, and I think it really applies to everyone, is not to go around bragging about your good deeds, because many times, folks who do so are only doing the good deeds for some ulterior motive. Just my two cents though, and why I responded rather sharply earlier. I never like it when someone starts pushing someone else to do some act of charity, because generally, you never know what they may already be doing.
-G1

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

Oh boy, only on LunarNet could a discussion about fanatics using a Mickey Mouse lookalike to brainwash children go off on a tangent about the Dark Scimitar :P I don't know why some folks are still so worked out about that; it was practically ages ago, and it was always a silly, inconsequential matter.

As for "doing something!", there's only so much we can do here. Honestly, what can we do? Write a letter to the editor of our local newspaper expressing our outrage? Write a letter to our politicians asking them to condemn this behavior? Pray? Really, what else can we do?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

JWL wrote:Oh boy, only on LunarNet could a discussion about fanatics using a Mickey Mouse lookalike to brainwash children go off on a tangent about the Dark Scimitar :P
All roads lead to the Dark Scimitar, man. It's a fact.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

JWL wrote:Oh boy, only on LunarNet could a discussion about fanatics using a Mickey Mouse lookalike to brainwash children go off on a tangent about the Dark Scimitar :P I don't know why some folks are still so worked out about that; it was practically ages ago, and it was always a silly, inconsequential matter.

As for "doing something!", there's only so much we can do here. Honestly, what can we do? Write a letter to the editor of our local newspaper expressing our outrage? Write a letter to our politicians asking them to condemn this behavior? Pray? Really, what else can we do?
actually i don't know anything about the dark scimitar fiasco. people are so quiet about this that you'd assume the story included rape and murder.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:you seem to be one of the few to act like a tool. it's almost like you hound my posts. i don't see G1 or ilovemyguitar seeming to lose their cool. did anyone ELSE get pissy when i kept expressing my dislike of dragon song? seems to me like YOU'RE having the problem. remember your reaction in that old thread about the dark scimitar where you ended up griped at?
You are acting like a prick. I've called you on it before, multiple times.

I still don't understand why you seem to get such a kick out of acting like an ass. This is a message board. We talk about things. If you don't want to talk about something, then don't hit the reply button. If we want to talk about something, then berating us when you're not interested is pointless (meanwhile, you're also the one getting upset when nobody responds to your posts after 20 hours or so).

Don't assume that just because not everyone is as vocal about it means that everyone else is okay with your constant condescension and attempts at berating everyone else.

Anyway, back on-topic.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

I don't know if I should be angry or amused
Half and half for me... I just think it's odd that they use what's such an obviously apparent American icon instead of coming up with their own.

Though I'm always suspicious of which Middle East stories get popularized. So I tend to take stuff that's about less serious issues with a grain of salt. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: Half and half for me... I just think it's odd that they use what's such an obviously apparent American icon instead of coming up with their own.
That actually reminds me of <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adbusters> this group</a>. I think the basic concepts behind this movement are too complicated for me to explain, but I'll try it anyway. The basic idea seems to completely destroy the original intent of the meaning. The intent is to turn the image of Mickey Mouse into a weapon against itself. Whoever created this wants to destroy the original significance that Mickey Mouse carries and replace it with their own meaning. Things like this have been called semiotic guerilla warfare in the past.

It's a very interesting example. I just wish I could explain it better.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

All I know is, they better stop stealing my name!
-G1