Melted freeway

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Melted freeway

Post by Alunissage »

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... PHQU46.DTL

:shock:

I was ON THAT FREEWAY less than 24 hours ago, and less than 10 hours before the accident.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Wow, incredible to say the least. Glad that no-one was seriously hurt (though the driver will likely be in pain for a bit for sure.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Well, glad you weren't on it when it happened!
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Something similar to this happened in Florida about 6 or 7 years ago, another gas tanker exploded on I-95 not far from where I live now. That incident had several casualties, though.

RPGMan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by RPGMan »

I am glad that your fine, I would be tweaking to jsut think about it. What if like you lost your keys for awhile then left? Wow, its fun to think about that stuff. I am glad no one got hurt also.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Melted freeway

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... PHQU46.DTL

:shock:

I was ON THAT FREEWAY less than 24 hours ago, and less than 10 hours before the accident.
That made front page news all the way over here in the Washington Express. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's all over the news now. From what it sounds like, traffic was an absolute nightmare this morning.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I wouldn't know; I was several hours late to work and took public transit. ^^;; BART (said transit) was free today to help with this. My commute wouldn't be affected much except by backups from people trying to get to alternate routes; I usually bypass the affected area on city streets and get on/off 880 just south of the Maze. However, I suspect it's pretty bad for the afternoon.

Actually, I just looked at sfgate.com again and the headline is "Evening commute goes smoothly." But they think it may get worse over the week. Probably some people stayed home today, and other people took BART because it was free and will return to car travel after today.

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

That's impossible; everybody knows that fire can't melt steel, especially not fire from a little bit of gasoline. Physics professor Rosie O'Donnell said so. The bridge must have been blown up with bombs in some kind of evil, Hitleresque plot, planned by some dastardly villain complete with a Snidely Whiplash mustache.

:roll:

Seriously, it sounds like it was practically miraculous that nobody was killed!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

JWL wrote:That's impossible; everybody knows that fire can't melt steel, especially not fire from a little bit of gasoline. Physics professor Rosie O'Donnell said so. The bridge must have been blown up with bombs in some kind of evil, Hitleresque plot, planned by some dastardly villain complete with a Snidely Whiplash mustache.

:roll:

Seriously, it sounds like it was practically miraculous that nobody was killed!
You mean the US government? Because we all know like you said, fire can't melt steel. I'm sure there are pictures somewhere that show the truth... blast charges that where used to collapse the bridge like the WTC!!!! :roll: :roll:

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, the lack of fatalities is what makes it fascinating rather than gruesome. That's really amazing; cars are on the freeways even at 2 or 3 AM. When I first learned about the collapse it was via scrolling text at the top of another broadcast (a hockey game my husband had Tivo'd), and in that time between seeing it and looking up the story online I was having visions of incredible, earthquake-scale disaster. It could have been so very much worse, in both time and location.