Earth Day is soon!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Earth Day is soon!

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Sunday the 22nd is Earth Day. Is anyone doing anything?

I'll be picking up trash at the beach.

lost_f0n_drive
Lostest Boy

Post by lost_f0n_drive »

Earthday is this Sunday, I didn't know that. O_O;

I don't know if I will be doing anything for Earthday this year because I didn't make any plans, but if there are any Earthday programs going on in my area I might participate in one.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

lost_f0n_drive wrote:but if there are any Earthday programs going on in my area I might participate in one.
http://www.earthday.org/programs/find/searchevent.aspx

:-D

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Earth Day is soon!

Post by phyco126 »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Sunday the 22nd is Earth Day. Is anyone doing anything?

I'll be picking up trash at the beach.
And I'll be throwing trash on the beach! Hey, gotta give ilovemuyguitar something to do, right?

j/k

I have no plans, I used to celebrate it as a kid and stuff, now I just don't care.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

BattleMedic
Student of Vane

Post by BattleMedic »

So they offically found out the birthday of the earth?
To have no fear, you must know fear.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Cute. No, Earth Day has been around forever and is a celebration of the Earth and it's natural resources. Also a day to clean up the earth, learn about recycling, and other stuff.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I thought Earth Day came around in the 1970s. I want to say 1972, but I'm not on my own computer and don't quite have the time to check.

But yeah. Yay Earth! It's what we live on. It's fun to be out in. It keeps us alive, though we abuse it so.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Indignation22
Saith Pirate

Post by Indignation22 »

I had intended to do nothing at all... but then I was asked to help remove some dead shrubber from my front lawn.... so I guess that counts.
"The French propose to fight us with their ideals of bravery, chivalry and fraternity, which we will counter with the German realities of infantry, cavalry, and artillery."
Xbox 360 tag- Indignation22

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

A US Senator first proposed Earth Day in 1970. The point of the day was to increase awareness about pollution, which was rampant in the 1960s.

Personally I don't know why they didn't just have it on the same day as Arbor Day, which as far as I know was the original environmental day. Arbor Day started in the US in the late 1800s, and in the US, it is celebrated on the last Friday of April. What do you do on Arbor Day? Plant a tree!

Indignation22
Saith Pirate

Post by Indignation22 »

Maybe because they felt that the enviromental pollution was a problem pressing enough to promote an additional day.... Because planting trees isn't conducive to lowering pollution.
"The French propose to fight us with their ideals of bravery, chivalry and fraternity, which we will counter with the German realities of infantry, cavalry, and artillery."
Xbox 360 tag- Indignation22

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Right, but it could have been repurposed and renamed, I think he means, much as Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday were combined into Presidents' Day.

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

Alunissage wrote:Right, but it could have been repurposed and renamed, I think he means, much as Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday were combined into Presidents' Day.
Right, something like that. Earth Day was put so close to Arbor Day; why didn't they just have it on Arbor Day? Arbor Day was already an environmental day, so it makes sense that a day all about planting trees could be expanded to cleaning up trash, etc.

Of course I'm saying all this because I happen to be a big fan of Arbor Day and I don't like how it often gets ignored :P

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

To quote Invader Zim:

"I LOVE EARTH!!!" >0@

Yay. We contributed to soil and decomposition on Earth Day by burying my dog who died Saturday night. :cry: Worst Earth Day EVER.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

LuNaRtIc wrote:Yay. We contributed to soil and decomposition on Earth Day by burying my dog who died Saturday night. :cry: Worst Earth Day EVER.
Oh, god. I'm so sorry. *hugs*

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

LuNaRtIc wrote:To quote Invader Zim:

"I LOVE EARTH!!!" >0@

Yay. We contributed to soil and decomposition on Earth Day by burying my dog who died Saturday night. :cry: Worst Earth Day EVER.
Sorry to hear that LuNaRtIc :(

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yay. We contributed to soil and decomposition on Earth Day by burying my dog who died Saturday night. Crying or Very sad Worst Earth Day EVER.
Ouch, that hurts. =( That's one of the hardest things to do. My dog is getting up there, and I know it's going to happen sooner or later.
-G1