President

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

President

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Can't be for sure if this has previously been posted but if it is i'm sure someone will tell me.

How do you feel about Hillary Clinton and Barack O'bama running for democrat president?

Is america ready for a women or black president?

What would be the draw backs of having a women president if there is any?

I just what to see what everybody else thinks on the matter. I personally like Barack and will vote fo him when 2008 comes around if he is the candidate. I'm not sexist in any way but i think Hillary is to emotional to become president. I wouldn't mind seeing a women president, but not neccesarily her.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

. . . hillary is too emotional?

hillary's practically a robot. unless you're going with the whole "women are too emotional" BS.

i don't actually like hillary, but that's the first time i've heard anyone call her that.

i like what i've heard about obama.

i despise people reducing the choice to "woman vs. black man." it needs to be about their personal qualities, not the obvious stereotypes.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Not much of a Hillary fan. I'd take Obama over her in a heartbeat. He seems far more sincere in his ideals and beliefs. When I see Hillary's speeches, she comes across as really insincere at times to me. I've watched some of Obama's speeches, and he comes across far more sincere in what he's saying. Whether I agree with him or not on issues, I at least come away respecting that he believes what he says and isn't just out there to get a vote.

Now, personally, if the Republicans put out a decent candidate, I'll likely vote that way. I don't like the idea of all three branches being controlled by one party or the other. Same would be true if it was flipped at the Republicans were in near complete control. I generally lean Republican based on abortion issues, but I really wish there were more candidates that floated down the middle, instead of just following a party line to get favor and votes. Problem is, it sounds like Rudolph Guliani is likely to be the main candidate for the Republicans. I don't think McCain will make it, even though I like him the most out of the current Republican picks.

Just my opinion though.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

As Meg said.

I think America is ready for a good president, as always, and if people are going to get into jitters about them being a woman or black instead of getting into jitters about *who* they are or what they support... I think those people are in the minority. The only factors that would be truly crippling, if I'm remembering AP US Gov't right, are homosexuality and atheism.
Not much of a Hillary fan. I'd take Obama over her in a heartbeat. He seems far more sincere in his ideals and beliefs. When I see Hillary's speeches, she comes across as really insincere at times to me. I've watched some of Obama's speeches, and he comes across far more sincere in what he's saying. Whether I agree with him or not on issues, I at least come away respecting that he believes what he says and isn't just out there to get a vote.
Yeah, I definitely like Obama's style better. I can't discount Hillary because I find nothing I can object to about her save that style and a couple of smaller issues (video games and flag burning among those). Overall, I'm waiting to hear more about them.
Rudolph Guliani
I'm watching him too. Out of the Republican candidates, I like him the most.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I don't know much about politics or Obama, but Hilary seems to change personalities depending on who she is talking to.
I'm excited. The elections are in Nov. of 2008, and I turn 18 in Sept. of 08'
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Re: Hilary:
I really don't like Hilary. I mean really don't like her; if she gets the Democratic nomination, it'd be just the thing to make me vote Republican or 3rd-Party. Overall, Hilary has no positions. She goes with whatever she thinks polls will support, so there's zero reliability there. That's still not the big thing...

The main reason I don't like her is because of the issues last year with Dubai Ports World taking over management of some US ports. Hilary was the main person behind blocking the deal, talking about security concerns. Which is complete -Dung Beetle-; DPW agreed to allow security of the ports to be handled by outside companies, and the only thing it'd be doing is business management (and they were retaining 100% of the employees, so no one would've lost their job)--but no, that wasn't enough. The only reason 'security concerns' was the issue is because it was an Arab company; the only reasons Hilary could give was that some terrorists came from the UAE, therefore we can't trust any companies from the UAE (by the same extension, we shouldn't trust any companies coming from Ireland, China, Russia, Japan, Colombia, Oklahoma, and Florida). There wouldn't've been the same fuss had the company been, well, white.

I mean, protectionism, already, I despise. But protectionism based on racism? Hell no. That sealed it pretty much; I'll vote against Hilary at every chance I get, and strongly encourage all my relatives to do the same.

Besides that, she was also big on the whole "If you're not with us, you're against us" dichotomy that set in after 9/11. Which, by far, is a stupid position to take on any issue.

Re: Giuliani
I can deal with him politically, but I think he has too much of a strongarm approach when it comes to politics. He strikes me as being unwilling to compromise--he might be a fine mayor, and I might vote for him as a mayor, but not for president.

Besides that, there's little point considering him. He doesn't stand a chance of winning the Republican primaries. He doesn't support the Republican stance on a lot of the key issues, like gun legislation, abortion, and gay marriage. So, most Republicans won't vote for him at that stage.

Re: McCain
I think I like McCain the most out of the Republicans. I get the feeling he's not popular enough with Republicans to win it. He also might have made some enemies criticizing Pres. Bush over the last couple years.

Re: Obama (he's not Irish, there's no apostrophe)
Personally, I like Obama the most. I think he's the most sincere and reliable candidate there. The only thing that worries me is that experience will become an issue. I'd vote for him as a Senator in a heartbeat, mind you, but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to be President in 2008.

Before I make up my mind regarding whether or not I'd support Obama, or any other candidate, I'll have to see how the campaigns up to the primaries go.

I actually think the most likely outcome is for neither Hilary nor Obama to get the Democratic nomination, and neither McCain nor Giuliani to get the Republican bid. Both sides will probably pick a "less divisive" (which, if you as me, means less decisive) figure. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

I vote based on issues. I don't care what color or what sex or what religion a candidate is. I don't care what their personality is like or how they style their hair. If I like their positions on the major issues, then I'll vote for them; if not, I won't. I happen to disagree with Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama on far more issues than I agree with them on, so I would not vote for either of them under any circumstances.

I would gladly vote for a black man, white woman, black woman, Middle Eastern man, Asian woman, etc etc etc if I agreed with them on the issues. As I said, I'm 100% issues oriented.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I suppose it's pretty likely the nomination will be decided by the time of the Wisconsin primary, but I'd be most likely to vote for Obama, since I like his stances on the issues, and because I think he would be a strong candidate in the general election.

Hillary's about my least favorite of the serious Democratic candidates. A lot of that has to do with electability issues, and also because I generally prefer the policy positions of the other candidates.