Mooninites Forever.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Mooninites Forever.

Post by Jenner »

so yeah... some guys put up lite brites with a mooninite flicking people off all over several cities (including boston) and they thought they were bombs and flipped out. It's all been hilarious and it hasn't been posted about here yet.

I'm too lazy to really give it better credit, I'll come back to it. Still, ridiculous.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I know, pretty funny.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

the other cities didnt think anything of them, i hope it wolnt have any effect on the movie i love ATHF

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

it won't have any effect. if anything, this will make them more money, by drawing attention to them. i had no idea a movie was coming out until i heard about boston flipping out. you'll have people hitting the theatres just to satisfy their curiousity.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

No one can escape the quad laser!
It's no use jumping. All your primitive earth-weapons are meaningless. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, serious turn here...

How the hell can anyone seriously give Turner any flak over this?

Please. The thing was a bloody lite-brite with an 8-bit cartoon character flipping the bird. Nobody gets this worked up over graffiti, and there's a lot worse stuff than Inignot that's spraypainted underneath bridges.

The only way it could conceivably look like something remotely dangerous is if someone is incapable of telling the difference between some LED lights and an explosive device. Yet, Turner's the one getting flak over Boston's paranoia (even though no one in any other city jumped to absurd conclusions).

Oh well, at least they're getting plenty of free advertising out of this.

Anyone catch the interviews of the guys who posted the ads? They got out of the courtroom and responded to the press's questions with a brief discussion on hairdos of the 1970s. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote: Anyone catch the interviews of the guys who posted the ads? They got out of the courtroom and responded to the press's questions with a brief discussion on hairdos of the 1970s. KF
I missed that... and Google wasn't much help in finding it. Is this online somewhere?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

It's on youtube somewhere, I caught the first couple of minutes of the press conference, it was pretty funny.

Some Executive resigned over this, pretty sad.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Kizyr wrote: Anyone catch the interviews of the guys who posted the ads? They got out of the courtroom and responded to the press's questions with a brief discussion on hairdos of the 1970s. KF
I missed that... and Google wasn't much help in finding it. Is this online somewhere?
I caught it in the Washington Express paper.

It just struck me as the perfect response. The entire ad campaign was supposed to be a joke, and now they're the ones being blamed for others' paranoia.

I really hope the case gets thrown out in court. It'll be ridiculous if they start handing down rulings that compare posting flyers to terrorism. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

So does this mean if I go to Boston and flip someone off, the bomb squad will blow my hand off?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:So does this mean if I go to Boston and flip someone off, the bomb squad will blow my hand off?
Perhaps. A "post-9/11 world" apparently means one of being paranoid of everything funny that has lights. But for best results, you should carry a flashlight.

See, it still gets me that these things were in place for at least a few days before someone thought it was a bomb. A lite-brite bomb. All it takes is one guy without a clue. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:
phyco126 wrote:So does this mean if I go to Boston and flip someone off, the bomb squad will blow my hand off?
Perhaps. A "post-9/11 world" apparently means one of being paranoid of everything funny that has lights. But for best results, you should carry a flashlight.

These guys would go nuts if they saw how my neighbor decorates his house at Christmas. Not only are there lights, but there's a big Santa with reindeer on the roof, a light-up nativity scene, and a giant fake snowman.

Maybe I should call in a bomb threat when he lights them up this year.

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

While in Boston, be sure not to leave your cell phone on a table in public. Someone might mistake it for a WMD.

Here's the video of the guys talking about hair:

http://wbztv.com/video/?cid=9&id=28369@wbz.dayport.com

The best part is when they convince the reporters to ask a hair-related question. They're either really confident that they aren't going to be thrown in jail or they're really stupid.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Or really smart. They where ORDERED not to talk about the incident, so what would you talk about if there was a press conference? Hair styles of the 70s :P

I'm sure they'll get thrown in jail for a few years, which shows how sad our justice system can be.

Lets see, set up some lite-brites, 5 years in prison
Kill someone, 2 years in prison.

Gee.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote:Or really smart. They where ORDERED not to talk about the incident, so what would you talk about if there was a press conference? Hair styles of the 70s :P

I'm sure they'll get thrown in jail for a few years, which shows how sad our justice system can be.

Gee.
They should have just said, "No comment." What they did makes it look like they were amused by the result. The prosecution will use this as "evidence" that they intended to incite a scare.

And if they go to jail, it will really suck since they were just hired by Cartoon Network to do this. It looks like Ted Turner is setting these guys up to take the fall.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

JWL wrote:The best part is when they convince the reporters to ask a hair-related question. They're either really confident that they aren't going to be thrown in jail or they're really stupid.
I still think it was a brilliant response. Everyone wants to pin the blame on them, even though it's really not their fault for the panic that ensued. If someone's so paranoid to shut down an entire city because of some lite-brites, it's just shifting the blame to pin the cause as the person who posted the lite-brites in the first place.

I mean, if it wasn't this, it would've just been something else innocuous.
phyco wrote:I'm sure they'll get thrown in jail for a few years, which shows how sad our justice system can be.

Why be so pessimistic? The justice system in the US, while not perfect, isn't bad. I doubt they'll get anything more than a fine for this--which I think they can get CN to pay for.
Werefrog wrote:They should have just said, "No comment." What they did makes it look like they were amused by the result. The prosecution will use this as "evidence" that they intended to incite a scare.

And if they go to jail, it will really suck since they were just hired by Cartoon Network to do this. It looks like Ted Turner is setting these guys up to take the fall.
I think Turner is going to back them. But, as a company, they have to be professional about it, which means being apologetic. These two guys are just two guys, so they have the luxury of belittling it.

They can't be charged based on that press conference, and I think a skilled lawyer can argue that it's irrelevant to the case--considering their lawyer told them not to talk about the case in the first place. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:
phyco wrote:I'm sure they'll get thrown in jail for a few years, which shows how sad our justice system can be.

Why be so pessimistic? The justice system in the US, while not perfect, isn't bad. I doubt they'll get anything more than a fine for this--which I think they can get CN to pay for.
I know our justice system isn't as bad as I made it out to be, but my comment for that is based on the fact that the system is ran by the same people who freaked out over a lite-bright and also by the same people who are crying "lynch the men, lynch the men!"
Werefrog wrote:They should have just said, "No comment." What they did makes it look like they were amused by the result. The prosecution will use this as "evidence" that they intended to incite a scare.
Bah, if I was in their shoes and still had my sense of humor after the whole affair, I would totally hold the press conference about something silly, like shoes or pants, or affros or tie dye shirts.