Favourite show? ^^

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by GhaleonOne »

Wow, you know, I've watched Serenity. I didn't realize that's what you guys were talking about. That was a pretty good movie, but I haven't seen Firefly at all. My dad and his girlfriend/fiancee/whatever rave about it though.
-G1

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

I'm surprised no one mentioned Family Guy. *Giggly! Giggly! Giggly!*

As for late 80's thru early 90's cartoons, Captain Planet gets my seal of approval. Damn that was a good series.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

PurifyWeirdSoul wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned Family Guy. *Giggly! Giggly! Giggly!*

As for late 80's thru early 90's cartoons, Captain Planet gets my seal of approval. Damn that was a good series.

Somebody did on the first page. I think it's probably the most over-rated show in a long while.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

phyco did. I know DragonmasterDan is a huge fan. Personally, I'm with Werefrog though. I think it's fairly overrated. I've watched quite a few episodes and couldn't get into it the way I did with the earlier Simpsons or even King of the Hill.
-G1

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Venture Bros.
I love that show.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

GhaleonOne wrote:phyco did. I know DragonmasterDan is a huge fan. Personally, I'm with Werefrog though. I think it's fairly overrated. I've watched quite a few episodes and couldn't get into it the way I did with the earlier Simpsons or even King of the Hill.

My mistake. As for Family Guy being overrated, that may be true. However, I think it's a brilliant series. It pushes the boundaries of what is allowable on network television. The general weirdness combined with the random humor is what draws me in. At first I wasn't much of a fan either, but it grew on me.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Family Guy is great, the fact that the irony in the intro of the show is hiliarious. I mean, they talk about sex and violence on TV, and no good fashion values, yet the show is constently in a state of making fun of sex and violence. (like that show when Petoria went to war with the United States) Awesome stuff.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Family Guy

Futurama

South Park

American Idol

Deal or No Deal

Fullmetal Alchemist

Inuasha

Ghost in the Shell

Robot Chicken

Stargate SG-1 & Atlantas

Gilmore Girls

And many many more that I may never finish listing.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

The problem with Family Guy is that it relies too much on shock value. Too many episodes give the impression that MacFarlane is simply trying to 'push the envelope' ala Howard Stern.

I find that I like Family Guy less and less all the time. Either I've changed, or there's only so far that shock value can go. Perhaps I have grown tired of MacFarlane's 'nothing is sacred' attitude.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's kinda what I was wanting to say, but didn't really know how to articulate it well. It just seemed like so many people harped on Family Guy only because of the fact that it "pushed the envelope", trying to follow what Simpson's did 15 years ago. Some of the episodes seem funny, but I just never could get into it like some other shows. But then, I've never actually watched a cartoon sitcom like Family Guy or Simpsons other than casually. King of the Hill is probably the only thing I've watched fairly regularly at times, and even then, it was usually just because it was on at 5:30 in the past, when I would be making up some dinner.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Once upon a time, I worshipped Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I haven't watched TV since.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Well... another problem with Family Guy is that they neglect plot. If you take out all of the random things that they flash that have nothing to do with what's going on, you'll have about 5 minutes of show.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

As for the whole Family Guy thing, I find that certain episodes are REALLY hilarious!, then others are just meh. I actually have a bunch of Stewie ringtones, I <3 him!

Let's see new t.v. shows...

Full Metal Alchemist seems to be high on my list... I'd like to see it from the beginin'.

But I'm still lovin' Drawn Together!!
ImageImageImage

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

JWL wrote:The problem with Family Guy is that it relies too much on shock value. Too many episodes give the impression that MacFarlane is simply trying to 'push the envelope' ala Howard Stern.

I find that I like Family Guy less and less all the time. Either I've changed, or there's only so far that shock value can go. Perhaps I have grown tired of MacFarlane's 'nothing is sacred' attitude.

Actually, I quite agree. That's what I liked about the old Simpsons episodes, King of the Hill, and Futurama - all of them had some sort of coherence, and often, genuine human emotion mixed in with the comedy. There are episodes of Futurama that have made me cry - comedies don't have to be solely comedies, they can have elements of other genres in them and still be successful. Honestly, I think plain comedy is fairly boring.

And, if you're wondering, the episodes that made me cry were the one about Fry's dog, and his brother Yancy. I'm also fond of the 'holophone opera' one.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Agawa wrote:And, if you're wondering, the episodes that made me cry were the one about Fry's dog, and his brother Yancy. I'm also fond of the 'holophone opera' one.

What about the one where Leela finally finds her real parents?
That one really got to me. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Heh, the Holophone Opera probably is the only Futurama that had a decent ending in terms of seriousness. Also I liked the music he kicked out when the robot satan's hands where his :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I just got to this topic...

Kiz, I'm in the middle of watching the Firefly series right now, actually.

It's a very addicting show.

The scene where Mal and Wash are having their man-jealousy argument while being tortured by electrocution by Adelai what's-his-name is one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen.

And Gina Torres just is plain cool. She just is.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

How many seasons is Firefly? Were there 2? I may buy the DVDs if they're available for my dad for Christmas later this year, and watch them myself, if there's not too many seasons to have to purchase. You guys have me interested, and I thought Serenity was a really good movie.
-G1

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

Kizyr wrote:Firefly is the name of the TV series that was short-lived--about 13 episodes--aired back in 2003. Serenity is the name of the movie continuing it, which was released in September 2005 and on DVD December 2005.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Pisces wrote:I just got to this topic...
Kiz, I'm in the middle of watching the Firefly series right now, actually.
It's a very addicting show.

It is, ain't it?

Now you can see why I think it's even better than Lunar. Don't get me wrong, I still love Lunar. I just love Firefly more.

PiscesEric wrote:The scene where Mal and Wash are having their man-jealousy argument while being tortured by electrocution by Adelai what's-his-name is one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen.

Oh that is great... It's even better when you realize that that's the only way Wash could've ever made it through that. And it served to give a lot of backstory to Wash and Zoe's relationship.

Keep an eye out for The Message. That's my personal favorite, with Out of Gas a close second.

G1 wrote:How many seasons is Firefly? Were there 2? I may buy the DVDs if they're available for my dad for Christmas later this year, and watch them myself, if there's not too many seasons to have to purchase. You guys have me interested, and I thought Serenity was a really good movie.

1 season, only, since it was cancelled prematurely. It's 13 episodes and costs $40 at Best Buy. It's well-worth that much. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)