The future of the Lunar franchise: how has DS affected it?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The future of the Lunar franchise: how has DS affected it?

Post by ilovemyguitar »

The general consensus of Lunar: DS seems to be that it's not what we'd hoped it would be. Some seem to think it's okay, some seem to think it's miserable, but it's safe to say that it won't be going down in history as the greatest RPG ever made. What does this mean for the future of the Lunar franchise?

Personally, I'm hoping that the developers are simply using this game as a test subject to see what they should do with a Lunar 3. Like, they fully plan on making a Lunar 3, but they wanted to try different stuff in this title, just to see how people would like it, like Gad's Express and the different battle system. That's my optimististic view of DS. :)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

It really depends on what kind of risk GA is willing to take. The people behind the two Dark Cloud games obviously thought that the poor reception of the first game was acceptable to pave the way for the much better received Dark Cloud 2. Lunar: Dragon Song might be a similar experiment, just something to get the name out there again.

Or, it could be a half-hearted attempt to find a pulse, and not finding one GA will decide it's not worth reviving the series.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Regardless of the reaction, I think it all depends on whether or not the game sells well, period.

Personally, I feel the story of DS was so poorly done that it literally adds NOTHING to the overal Lunar world.
Vaporized before my eyes

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

GameArts can't be that short-sighted, though. The fact that there was so much interest in this title in the first place should have told them something.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

How did the DS effect Lunar?

*detesting voice* There IS no Lunar...

:P

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Bah.

DS was negative, if it did anything at all.

Best we can hope for is a nullset.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Well, this is a depressing conversation.

After all this DS stuff, I'm beginning to lose some serious hope for the Lunar series. I just want Lunar 3, they can completely stop after that for all I care :oops:

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

From what I've heard (I could be wrong, and I don't know if anybody mentioned it yet or not since I'm pretty irregular here), the remakes of Lunar were done by another company besides Game Arts (although they oversaw it), and the company that did the remakes did Lunar DS. So... unless Game Arts themselves does something, I doubt Lunar has any mentionable future.

I have the bloody game, but nobody I know has a DS to let me borrow so I can play it.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Love a riddle, start saving up for a DS. You'll REALLY thank yourself in November when Mario Kart DS is released. Full online capability, so you can play online for free... for the rest of your life no doubt :P