Anyone here wants a Lunar HD Collection?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Zethus Thorne
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone here wants a Lunar HD Collection?

Post by Zethus Thorne »

Ever since Grandia HD Collection has came out on the Nintendo Switch (and soon to Steam/PC), I think that Game Arts should be developing an HD Collection for Lunar. If it should ever come to existence, what things do you want in the HD Collection?

Personally, I wouldn't mind having just an HD Port of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete for the Nintendo Switch.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Re: Anyone here wants a Lunar HD Collection?

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Not really,

First off the remake versions of Lunar are to me, not the superior releases. Furthermore looking at the sound problems, and other issues plaguing the Grandia remake why would I want to play or even worst have people without exposure to the series play a buggy sloppy port and develop a negative impression of the games and series based on that?

Zethus Thorne
Lann Fisherman

Post by Zethus Thorne »

Grandia HD Collection is going to get updates soon. Don't you worry. Maybe the same could be done with Lunar HD Collection if the same issues happen.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Right but even then your suggested versions aren't the best possible versions for people to play. So it's not just technical issues or emulation challenges that bother me about it.

Zethus Thorne
Lann Fisherman

Post by Zethus Thorne »

So you're fine with spending $100 on a Complete copy of Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar: Eternal Blue?

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Well I've had both of those games over 20 years.

With that said, I also think The Silver Star for Sega CD not the Playstation remake is the superior version of the game for a whole variety of reasons.

If someone wanted to say for example buy either game, it's very easy to buy the game. Play through it, sell it, and buy the next game to recoup their money.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

There's no reason (other than legal issues) why there shouldn't be a Lunar HD collection.It should include both games son SCD and PS1, and the L1 remake on PSP to make many people happy as possible. Also don't stop with Switch, I'd rather buy it on it Steam. I agree that Lunar 1 on SCD is best, but the other games have their own fans too, and the high prices on ebay, and the lack of a current hardware edition of Lunar (save for the iOS port) can deter potential fans.

Zethus Thorne
Lann Fisherman

Post by Zethus Thorne »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:There's no reason (other than legal issues) why there shouldn't be a Lunar HD collection.It should include both games son SCD and PS1, and the L1 remake on PSP to make many people happy as possible. Also don't stop with Switch, I'd rather buy it on it Steam. I agree that Lunar 1 on SCD is best, but the other games have their own fans too, and the high prices on ebay, and the lack of a current hardware edition of Lunar (save for the iOS port) can deter potential fans.
Well spoken

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Shinto-Cetra wrote:There's no reason (other than legal issues) why there shouldn't be a Lunar HD collection.It should include both games son SCD and PS1, and the L1 remake on PSP to make many people happy as possible. Also don't stop with Switch, I'd rather buy it on it Steam. I agree that Lunar 1 on SCD is best, but the other games have their own fans too, and the high prices on ebay, and the lack of a current hardware edition of Lunar (save for the iOS port) can deter potential fans.
The issue here is would they be able to do so. If it had emulated versions that ran well of the original games great, but looking at other re-releases or collections of classic games produced fairly recently it's usually just one version. Besides the Grandia HD collection look at the somewhat lazy effort put in by SquareEnix for a Dragon Quest 1-3 collection for Switch. It's just the Android/IOS mobile versions running on the switch. Again, I was still willing to preorder a physical copy but usually these re-releases are not done with the level of effort that you gave in your example.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I'm betting on it happening at this point...I just hope they HD it right!
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

DragonmasterDan wrote:
The issue here is would they be able to do so. If it had emulated versions that ran well of the original games great, but looking at other re-releases or collections of classic games produced fairly recently it's usually just one version. Besides the Grandia HD collection look at the somewhat lazy effort put in by SquareEnix for a Dragon Quest 1-3 collection for Switch. It's just the Android/IOS mobile versions running on the switch. Again, I was still willing to preorder a physical copy but usually these re-releases are not done with the level of effort that you gave in your example.
Square-Enix has become known for shoddy ports, yes, but Lunar is owned by Gungho/GameArts so that won't be an issue. Going by Grandia II on Steam, it had a few bugs, but nothing terrible. Off the top of my head, one achievement wouldn't sync after I know I cleared it, it would very rarely crash(I believe only twice in my 40-hour+ playthrough), and one FMV had no Subtitles. Otherwise it was fine by me. I don't own a Dreamcast so it's possible I might be missing something, but it's still miles ahead of Steam Chrono Trigger at launch or Steam FF6 to this day (minus mods.) My main concern is the rights to Working Designs voices and the SEGA CD games. I recently noticed the Turbografx-16 mini is rerelreasing some WD games on that system (complete with WD virtual box art on their website.) Gaijinworks has been quiet for ages now, maybe their copyright has expired or maybe whoever is releasing the T16 mini struck a deal with Gaijinworks which has not been publicized yet? It makes a little hopeful.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Shinto-Cetra wrote:
Square-Enix has become known for shoddy ports, yes, but Lunar is owned by Gungho/GameArts so that won't be an issue. Going by Grandia II on Steam, it had a few bugs, but nothing terrible. Off the top of my head, one achievement wouldn't sync after I know I cleared it, it would very rarely crash(I believe only twice in my 40-hour+ playthrough), and one FMV had no Subtitles. Otherwise it was fine by me. I don't own a Dreamcast so it's possible I might be missing something, but it's still miles ahead of Steam Chrono Trigger at launch or Steam FF6 to this day (minus mods.) My main concern is the rights to Working Designs voices and the SEGA CD games. I recently noticed the Turbografx-16 mini is rerelreasing some WD games on that system (complete with WD virtual box art on their website.) Gaijinworks has been quiet for ages now, maybe their copyright has expired or maybe whoever is releasing the T16 mini struck a deal with Gaijinworks which has not been publicized yet? It makes a little hopeful.
Yes, Square-Enix is known for shoddy ports but if the Grandia 1 and 2 port (I've really only spent much time on Grandia 1) is any indicator the release isn't up the standards I'd like to see with my favorite game.

Tied to the TG mini, I know that Gaijinworks has ties to Hudson which is now Konami who is releasing the mini-console so the circular loop with rights is probably addressed. It's too bad Telenet stuff like Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 aren't on there and only the two Taito Hucards.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I myself would love it. I really loved the Grandia one (even with the various bugs.), I would love one done in a similar style.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

With so many HD remakes already...I honestly feel it's inevitable
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

IMJ
Saith Pirate

Post by IMJ »

The time I have to spend on gaming nowadays is minimal. In the last year I've only played Attack On Titan 2 on the PS4, and some levels of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance downloads. I've had The Sunken City sitting in the shrink wrap here for months now. But I've got to say - if Lunar 1 and 2 were re-released for modern content in the same spirit of upgrade that WD did in the 90's?

I would absolutely be all in and it would be my greatest excuse to go through those games again.