Hope Springs Eternal

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Hope Springs Eternal

Post by drumlord »

This topic is sort of a "hmm" or FYI topic, not so much some great discussion, but anyway...

I believe there was a discussion at some point here (or possibl at the WDMB) about whether or not "Hope Springs Eternal" would ok to use in promotion of a new Lunar game. Some had said it would be unlikely Ubi Soft could use it as that's something WD had come up with.

I'm not certain whether or not Ubi or anybody else could use it to promote a new Lunar game (probably could, of course). But when flipping through some Geneon (anime publisher) press releases mailed to me, one starts off with [in huge bold letters] "HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL." My Lunar eyes flashed a bit knowing it had nothing to do with Lunar. It's what they're using to promote a show called Human Crossing.

Just thought you Lunar folk might be interested to know other properties are using our phrase ;)
-Rich-

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Isn't "hope springs eternal" a phrase from something else though? I don't think it was something Working Designs came up with for Lunar, but rather a quote from something earlier that fit the Lunar: Eternal Blue theme perfectly. However, where it came from, I'm not sure.
-G1

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Well, I mean, "hope springs eternal" is just a saying. I don't see why Ubi couldn't use it for their own purposes. It's such an old phrase that there's not even a chance of it being trademarked. I'd heard it said so often before I played Lunar that it really doesn't make me think of Lunar every time I hear it or anything.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It would be redundant to use it as another slogan. The full phrasing was "In the Darkest Hour, Hope Springs Eternal." It was more fitting, for Lunar Eternal Blue because of the overall essence of the game, and it's story. It wouldn't work for a prequel, or a sequel because it would just come across as sloppy and unoriginal being reused.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The only way it would be used well would be like "Hope Sprung Eternal" if/when a Lunar 3 is made in reference to all the fans that wanted a Lunar 3.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't agree. The point of "eternal" is that there's always hope, not just in the specific circumstances surrounding EB's setting. No reason to think that there hadn't been earlier dark hours in Lunar's history.

Here's the full quote:
Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope,
An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I don't think it would be blatanly unfitting to use "Hope Springs Eternal" as a tagline for Dragon Song, or another Lunar game, but it would be strike me as odd as it has only been used for EB and EBC so far. Had it been used for TSS or SSSC as well, I'd be more open to it being used as a general Lunar tagline, but as it is, it seems that it's meant just for EB/EBC.

Edit: Fixed some bad grammar.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, yeah, because of the E in EB/EBC.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You take away from the whole essence of the reason behind the slogan. You don't reuse the same impact, it's just bad. Lunar:Dragon Song "Hope Springs Eternal" would have been fine if it was the first time the phrase was used, but then you want Lunar:The Silver Star "Hope Springs Eternal", Lunar: Eternal Blue "Hope Springs Eternal" (proper), Lunar 3 "Hope Sprung Eternal."

Come on guys, you really don't know the essence of writing if you're going to think like that. *Smack*