Lunar 3: Silver Legacy

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Star_Lunar3
NPC
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar 3: Silver Legacy

Post by Star_Lunar3 »

Hey everyone!

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the 'Lunar 3' movement on fb. If not, there's one particular page created by a fan that I only know as 'Sean.' He's spent several months creating a music video and has even made contact with a few of the Lunar alumni.

My project is a separate script that I've been writing since June of 2020. This fan-made project is a direct sequel to 'Eternal Blue,' but it takes place centuries later on a now mostly, habitable Blue Star. The protagonists will eventually return to Lunar and try to save the remaining inhabitants of the dying moon and of course, stop a sinister plot from unfolding.

Like Sean, I've attempted to reach out to various Lunar cast members such as Jenny Stigile, John Truitt and writer, Kei Shegima. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success. However, my goal is to finish the script, (which is about 70% completed) and see if Game Arts will at the very least, entertain the idea of making 'Silver Legacy' canon.

This has been for the most part, a solo project, but I had originally intended for more Lunar fans to help with the details of the story as welll as the artwork.

If anyone is curious or would like to know more about the story, I'll gladly send a synopsis or you can follow my fb page (Lunar 3: Silver Legacy.)

Temzin
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Lunar 3: Silver Legacy

Post by Temzin »

There’s good and bad news: While Lunar 3 won’t happen and the shell that remains of Game Arts has neither the budget to make the game nor any interest in the US actors or scriptwriters (we’ve got all our thoughts here already on that other, misguided campaign: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6105), I say that you don’t need -their- blessing to make your Lunar project canon! Why not share it in the Lunar 3 sub-forum for people to enjoy? You don’t need a corporation that contains literally none of the original creators to make your project meaningful—ironically, at this point your approach is almost as legit as anything they could do there since it’s a dead series! Plus, English speaking Lunar fandom seems to have a long tradition of fanfic since the series was so short lived yet so meaningful to so many. Why not share on the sub-forum, in the best doujinshi spirit?
Last edited by Temzin on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Maou

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I appreciate fan fiction. I've read a lot in the fandom, but the writers of the original LUNAR series is what made it special. That being said; I can't assume you wouldn't be able to pour that same magical energy into the story that is LUNAR...The bar is high, though. The fans are tough. They want that some energy, that same magic, that same creativity on par or beyond par if a true sequel was to ever be made. This is what has kept the fandom going for so long. That love, that magic, that creativity. That writing created its own legacy.

Many fans of created their own sequels to Eternal Blue and I appreciate their effort, but it's so much more than just writing it. When you complete it; I would love to hear the direction and the story. Share the synopsis with us! ^^
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm gonna say something that might sound harsh, but I'm asking to take me in good faith on this.

Main question: why is it important to you for this to be part of Lunar "canon"? And what does that even mean?

Where I'm going with this is that it's probably going to be more fulfilling to make a complete project that you can appreciate, and not hinge it on whether Shigema or any other creator actually takes a look at it. Yes, that might mean it's fanfic, but... that's not a bad thing.

And "canon" itself in Lunar is pretty shaky. I mean, there's TSS and EB, but then there are events in SSS that kind of contradict TSS, then there's the novelization of SSS, novelization of EB, manga adaptation of EB, all of which have differences with one another. So... what's canon in our series is already kind of up-in-the-air and we end up with a lot of perspectives on stories with some commonality (or, to paraphrase Shigema's words, it's like each retelling is a retelling of a familiar legend, so naturally differences arise over time).

The unfortunate part is also as Temzin said, there isn't an entity that can really do Lunar the same way anymore. I mean, say, Shigema, Iwadare, Kubooka, and other people formerly involved in Studio Alex are still around and even talk with one another, and still have a lot of love for the Lunar series, but there's been nothing collectively from them since... EBC.
~Kizyr

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I'm not obbessed with the lore of every manga or every comic or differences between remakes and such.

For me, it's SSSC to EBC and if Dragon Song is cannon then i appreciate the past plot we gained, but i did not like the game at all.

As for why is it important to me for the 3rd game to be canon? What does it even mean? Well... For starters it's incredibly important to me if not many others. A sequel to a game from anything done right can be amazing. Same with movies and TV shows. Many of these have had surprising excellent sequels and cater back to the things that the fan fell in love with in the beginning.

I like a journey to my destination. I don't want to pop into another universe so to speak and play in a LUNAR world without the love that inspired me to continue talking about it to this day. Even if the sequel was 1000 years in the future...Do you have any idea how AWESOME that video package in EBC was that catered back to the destruction of Vane and seeing the heroes from SSSC? That was one of the best moments ever in the history of the game and as Ghaleon would say "That...was a record of my best work..."

Sequels and cannon are important to me to a point. There's so much information within the LUNAR fandom that is very very difficult to get for the casual fan or even a fan that just is hardcore into the games and nothing more.

Another epic moment in EBC to me was seeing Vane on the ground and in the form of being rebuilt. How Nall was now living in the former Taben Grindery. Nall mentioning everyone from the first game to Ruby to tell her about memories and immortality. Truly magical and beautiful stuff.

If a true sequel never comes....It never comes...
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oh my question was more directed at the OP.

To your point ShugoHanasaki -- anything that's widely regarded as Lunar 3 will have to be canon, and really will have to be produced by some game studio that has the IP (ideally also one that involves people like Shigema and Kubooka plus others who used to be with Studio Alex, but that's more about making it good rather than making it canonically "Lunar 3"). I think at this point also, given that we have one side-story (Walking School / Magic School which is billed as a side-story) and one prequel (Dragon Song), a real "Lunar 3" is going to take place after Lunar 2.

But, if it's a fan-creation and from people who don't actually have the IP to create and sell it as a Lunar game, there's basically two options: (1) change all the references and make it a "spiritual successor", or (2) keep the references but it'll remain a fan-made game on the same tier as fanfic.

My point, really, is that neither option is bad, but neither of them will really be canonical. IMO I think option (1) is better because I'd be all about a game that has a similar look and feel and thematic elements as Lunar, it may even get more people into older JRPGs. But option (2) isn't a bad one because fanfics aren't bad, and I'd like to push back against what I think is a common narrative that somehow fanfic is inherently embarrassing to be creating or consuming.

I mean, Shigema himself has commented on how much he enjoys seeing fans discuss finer points of the series that were left ambiguous. That's... basically fan-creations and fan theories. Doesn't have to be canon for us to engage with it and enjoy it.
~Kizyr