What I would like the next NEW Lunar game to be about.

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What I would like the next NEW Lunar game to be about.

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Theta wrote:So where does that leave Hiros kid?
Aborted for the stem cells.

ghaleon12
Meribian Merchant

Post by ghaleon12 »

That's actually a cool idea OP.

I was wondering the other day, what's the significance of the mystic ruins (?) (the place where you first see Ghaleon) in Lunar 2. I don't think they explain it really. But what would be interesting, is if they could start the new lunar by going back to the frontier, filling in some of the lore, then somehow have that continue on into Lunar 2 and fill in/explore some of the lore there. So the game could have a part one in Lunar 1, then the second game would continue the mystery and go into Lunar 2, that probably made no sense but whatever lol. Xenosaga-like in other words, with episode 1, 2 ect.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

ghaleon12 wrote:That's actually a cool idea OP.

I was wondering the other day, what's the significance of the mystic ruins (?) (the place where you first see Ghaleon) in Lunar 2. I don't think they explain it really. But what would be interesting, is if they could start the new lunar by going back to the frontier, filling in some of the lore, then somehow have that continue on into Lunar 2 and fill in/explore some of the lore there. So the game could have a part one in Lunar 1, then the second game would continue the mystery and go into Lunar 2, that probably made no sense but whatever lol. Xenosaga-like in other words, with episode 1, 2 ect.
That's a good point you bring up about the mystic ruins... I always thought it was the Grindery, but I may be wrong. I'm sure one of the many experts will chime in w/ an answer. :)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Taben's Peak is overgrown Grindery remains. I think the outdoor playground may even have been Ghaleon's original fairy garden. (Totally random, but I wonder if it's called Taben's Peak because it's a mountain peak or because the Grindery was the peak of Taben's career? Probably the former, lol. xD) I don't know what that leaves the Mystic Ruins to be. Also, now that you have me thinking, I wonder what ever happened to Damon's Spire? Kind of a shame to let that library rot away...
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I always wondered about the Mystic Ruins as well. Funny thing is, before the remakes came out, lots of Lunar fans always speculated that they might throw some of the EB places into SSS, even if you couldn't get to them (like, hide the Blue Spire somewhere up in a mountain range that was inaccessable by the game). Or even as hidden dungeons. The Blue Spire specifically had to be somewhere on Lunar during Lunar 1's events. Same with the Star Dragon Tower. I don't know so much about the Mystic Ruins, but they do seem pretty old. Though I wonder if that was a post-SSS building, considering it had Ghaleon's recording. Unless he put that in after being brought back from the netherworld.

I REALLY hope Silver Star Harmony goes back to having readable books in the Vane library and Damon's Spire. That seriously ticked me off about Legend and Dragon Song having none of that. Perhaps they'll shed some light.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I always figured that the Mystic Ruins were originally Taben's tower in Ruid, both for the approximate shape (the angled walls) and because it'd be in the right place to record the video of the Grindery departing. In the SegaCD games, of course.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:I always figured that the Mystic Ruins were originally Taben's tower in Ruid, both for the approximate shape (the angled walls) and because it'd be in the right place to record the video of the Grindery departing. In the SegaCD games, of course.
Eh, I don't think that really fits with the Sega CD games even. Ruid was in the frontier, which was essentially the Salyan Desert in EB. I think it makes more sense for it to have been Myght's Tower; it's in roughly the same place, and both buildings have that large, flat roof. It's just a question of who put that teleportation pad there at the top.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Eh, I don't think that really fits with the Sega CD games even. Ruid was in the frontier, which was essentially the Salyan Desert in EB. I think it makes more sense for it to have been Myght's Tower; it's in roughly the same place, and both buildings have that large, flat roof. It's just a question of who put that teleportation pad there at the top.
I still maintain that the Salyan Desert isn't the Frontier, only because the Blue Star is still visible from the desert--while in TSS it was implied that the Blue Star doesn't shine on the Frontier (so it'd be the "dark side" of the moon). Lunar is tidally locked to the Blue Star, so over 500-1000 years, the "dark side" wouldn't drift that much. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:Eh, I don't think that really fits with the Sega CD games even. Ruid was in the frontier, which was essentially the Salyan Desert in EB. I think it makes more sense for it to have been Myght's Tower; it's in roughly the same place, and both buildings have that large, flat roof. It's just a question of who put that teleportation pad there at the top.
I still maintain that the Salyan Desert isn't the Frontier, only because the Blue Star is still visible from the desert--while in TSS it was implied that the Blue Star doesn't shine on the Frontier (so it'd be the "dark side" of the moon). Lunar is tidally locked to the Blue Star, so over 500-1000 years, the "dark side" wouldn't drift that much. KF
The whole "dark side of the moon" thing never really came into play until the remakes, though. The Blue Star wasn't even mentioned in TSS, so you can't really say definitively that it doesn't shine on the Frontier in that game. The Frontier is just described as a wasteland where Althena's magic didn't extend to, it looks like a desert, and it's in the extreme southeast portion of the worldmap; sounds like the Salyan Desert to me.

Of course, it seems a bit strange to think that Althena would leave places as important as the Blue Spire and the Star Dragon Tower in the middle of the Frontier, but one could think that it was to keep them hidden from the general population of Lunar; the whole purpose of Lunar is a place for humanity to bide its time until the Blue Star/Earth is revived, so it would be wise for her to make the means of tranportation between the two places as difficult to get to as possible until it's time to use them.

Regardless, it's all just conjecture now anyway, since the continuity of the Sega CD games is pretty much gone and forgotten at this point except by those of us who played them when they were new. I'm certain that SSH will be using SSSC's "dark side of the moon" portrayal of the Frontier, and I'm equally certain that if Lunar 2 is ever remade again it'll keep the Salyan Desert as an actual desert, so the whole point is moot now.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

For what it's worth, there's a frame in the Vheen manga showing Ghaleon, as a young adventurer a couple generations before Lemia, writing or reading a letter with the Blue Spire in the background. So Funato, who after all was a fan of the games before she worked on them, saw the Blue Spire as simply being in some part of the world not shown in TSS.

I certainly didn't get a "dark side of the moon" feel from the TSS Frontier; it just seemed like a place that wasn't as terraformed as the rest of Lunar. Besides, since Lunar has days and nights, the rest of it has to be illuminated at some point. The light source is still the sun, not the Blue Star. Anyway, I figured that what with all the other climate change and geographic rearrangement (like Caldor being mostly under ice and connecting to more land to the south) that the Frontier had stopped being a hostile wasteland by the time of EB.

There were probably other reasons I considered the Mystic Ruins to be Taben's tower, but I'll have to think about what they were. Possibly the garden at ground level being originally part of Ruid, or something like that, or the moving platforms being reminiscent of scaffolding such as would be used to construct the Grindery.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:I certainly didn't get a "dark side of the moon" feel from the TSS Frontier; it just seemed like a place that wasn't as terraformed as the rest of Lunar. Besides, since Lunar has days and nights, the rest of it has to be illuminated at some point. The light source is still the sun, not the Blue Star.
The "dark side of the moon" is a bit of a misnomer; it only refers to the side that always faces away from the Earth (so from the perspective of Lunar, it would be the side from which you cannot see the Blue Star--from Lunar, the Blue Star is in a constant place in the sky, and changes only depending on your location, rather than day-to-day).

There's a bit in the fourth SSS novel that says the location of the Frontier is the dark side:
Long ago, the Goddess Althena had sealed the Vile Tribe there, in the Frontier, in that land of death where the Blue Star did not even shine. Even from where Alex and the others were now [close to the border of the Frontier], the Blue Star was almost completely hidden by the horizon. It had been close to a month since they first left Vane, and now they were right next to the farthest reaches of civilization.
When I get home, I can check out some of the screenshots and other info from the games, but at the very least there isn't anything in TSS or SSS that negates this (and I'm sure there are a few things which corroborate it).
Alunissage wrote:I figured that what with all the other climate change and geographic rearrangement (like Caldor being mostly under ice and connecting to more land to the south) that the Frontier had stopped being a hostile wasteland by the time of EB.
I chalk it up to magic. No, really (well, if you consider Althena's power to be magic). After TSS/SSS, her power was decentralized, so the Frontier ceased to be a place where Althena's magic did not extend--since Althena was no longer keeping it limited to one area of the world.
Alunissage wrote:There were probably other reasons I considered the Mystic Ruins to be Taben's tower, but I'll have to think about what they were. Possibly the garden at ground level being originally part of Ruid, or something like that, or the moving platforms being reminiscent of scaffolding such as would be used to construct the Grindery.
Have we considered yet the possibility that the Madoria Plains might be where the Frontier used to be? It might be a stretch, but I'm wondering how likely or unlikely it is. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

If the blue spire is in the Salyan desert, and the Salyan desert is part of the old Frontier, then how come it points straight to the blue star? I figured it was just someplace further east from the plains tribe areas.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hahaha. Excellent point, Phyco. ^_^

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Okay so we know that the mystic ruins are not the Grindery. Lunartic thanks for refreshing my memory about taben's peak being the Grindery's remains. :P It's still driving me crazy that we don't know what the mystic ruins are. I think the biggest hint should be the fairy garden in the mystic ruins. Where else would Ghaleon have a fairy garden? This might be a stretch but is it possible that the mystic ruins are the remains of the star tower? The entrance to the mystic ruins remind me of Vane. Was there anywhere else in Lunar that used teleporters besides Vane? :?: :?: :?:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Monde, I doubt the Mystic Ruins are Vane, seeing as Vane is still around in EB ;)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Phyco I didn't mean Vane itself but maybe something vaneish. :oops: I mentioned the crystal tower because I couldn't remember if it was still in vane in EB. Although even w/ the crash it's doubtful that the tower could have drifited that far from vane..... meh

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Do you think the creators of the game actually thought about these things or are you guys just trying to pull in every loosen end to make it more cohesive?

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

B_G personally I think it's a little bit of both. =)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Monde Luna wrote:B_G personally I think it's a little bit of both. =)
We should get Kizyr or G1 to ask someone who may know if they took that stuff into consideration and if they can provide any insight for the hardcore.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

such a good idea B_G