THIS is what I want Lunar 3 to look like!

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

THIS is what I want Lunar 3 to look like!

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Check out this trailer for "Eternal Sonata," an X-Box 360 RPG that will be coming to the US in September. The art direction is more or less exactly what I've always imagined Lunar 3 looking like; 3D, but still very charming and cartoonish.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hm... I can almost see Lunar working out like this. The only misgivings I might have is any 'active/action' battle system. I'd rather it be turn-based, like previous games, but it can still take some improvements and upgrades.

Not that I'm averse to active battle systems (Tales of Phantasia is one of my favorite games). But, I think the general idea of what Lunar TSS and EB had is the right track for the Lunar series. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'll definitely have to pick that game up. It looks really good!
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I wonder if there is an option for Japanese with English subtitles, like Blue Dragon (I wish it would come in the mail already - GAH!). From what I heard the voice acting was just okay. I'd prefer a game without voice overs than one with mediocre voice acting.

Voice acting aside, the game looks gorgeous and I fully intend on purchasing it now xD Thanks for the trailer!

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:Hm... I can almost see Lunar working out like this. The only misgivings I might have is any 'active/action' battle system. I'd rather it be turn-based, like previous games, but it can still take some improvements and upgrades.

Not that I'm averse to active battle systems (Tales of Phantasia is one of my favorite games). But, I think the general idea of what Lunar TSS and EB had is the right track for the Lunar series. KF
Yeah, I wasn't really talking about the battle system. I'd prefer that to stay similar to what's in the Sega CD and Playstation games as well. Everything else about this game, however, screams "Lunar." It's even music-themed!

ZP
Pao Hunter

Post by ZP »

There's a demo of Eternal Sonata on the Japanese Xbox Live Marketplace. It's called Trusty Bell there, and was released a couple of weeks ago. Sales were good, for a 360 game in Japan anyway. The demo is in either Japanese or English depending on the origin of the 360 it's played on.

Anyway, I've been following it fairly closely as I could see some Grandia 1-esque potential in it. And I was quite pleasantly pleased at the battle system.

Like Lunar and Grandia it is turn-based and positional. It's just that when it's your turn you have to do the moving and basic attacks as if it is an action game. Enemies and party characters keep still during this time.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Oh man, that looks so cool! Shame I never get to play X Box 360 since its my brother's and stays in his room. But maybe if I got it he'd let me play it. Cause it looks really awesome!

Anyway, I agree. Lunar 3 would look cool like that. Though I'd perfer it to be 2D graphics. I love 2D graphics and perfer them over 3D. Not that 3D doesn't look cool. But if Lunar 3 was going to be 3D I'd like it done in that style and kept anime looking.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Nice!! Great character designs and graphics... yeah, I could see Lunar going into this direction as well. I wouldn't mind that battle system either but I still prefer the classic system. Now I want that game..lol!
Image"Sample my goods!!"

hamguy
Saith Pirate

Re: THIS is what I want Lunar 3 to look like!

Post by hamguy »

hey thats great,i'd love to see it like that,but i always thought they would make it like the simpsons game...you know 3d but cartoonish/comic style...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The PlayStation Store (through your PlayStation 3) just released an Eternal Sonata demo, and the game itself is supposed to have some new additions that weren't in the 360 version.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Silver Phoenix wrote:The PlayStation Store (through your PlayStation 3) just released an Eternal Sonata demo, and the game itself is supposed to have some new additions that weren't in the 360 version.
I got the PS3 demo and damn, that game is purdy looking...
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

GuyaneseG
Burg Farmer

Post by GuyaneseG »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:The PlayStation Store (through your PlayStation 3) just released an Eternal Sonata demo, and the game itself is supposed to have some new additions that weren't in the 360 version.
I got the PS3 demo and damn, that game is purdy looking...
yep, the demo is pretty impressive
here is a link to the offical playstation blog about the game:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/ ... -tomorrow/

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I have the 360 version of Eternal Sonata. It's a pretty good game. The anime-ish game graphics are pretty amazing. I also like the music in the game. ^^

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Although, as pretty as Eternal Sonata is and as good a template as it might be for Lunar 3, I still have a feeling that the Grandia games might be more likely to show the direction (from a technical standpoint, at least) of what any future Lunar games are like. Accounting for differences in technology between the Dreamcast/PS2 gen of games and the PS3/Xbox360 gen, I think the two are comparable in style. Grandia also has the advantage of being developed by Game Arts, same folks as Lunar, and even having Iwadare, Lunar's music composer, as its composer.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We got a PS3 recently and will be getting this game eventually. Till then we probably won't bother taking the console out of its box. :P

GuyaneseG
Burg Farmer

Post by GuyaneseG »

will there be any extra download contents for the PS3 version?

ghaleon12
Meribian Merchant

Re:

Post by ghaleon12 »

I want Lunar to stay 2D. It'd be interesting if it was one of the few to stay 2D, it'd sort of have a niche. I played FF 7 for the first time about 6 months ago and I loved the artwork, wouldn't want it in 3D.

How are all the characters supposed to trail after the main character in 3D? lol. And the marching in place, awww.

Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

I had an image in my head recently of Lunar SSSC but it being in FF7 Advent Children Style. Probably because Advent Children at the time was all about that Beatiful Boy Style (Bishounen) having Sephiroth and Cloud fight it out was totally homo-erotic. Two eternal enemies battling with giant swords? I'm sorry, come on. What do you guys think about that? When I tried to imagine it for EB though, I couldn't so it probably because EB is more focused on Humanity rather than Love so it sort of killed that image quickly but it works for SSSC.

LUNARverse
Pao Hunter

Post by LUNARverse »

Nah, Lunar 3 shouldn't go entirely 3D. If anything, it should remain 2D but be done in a style reminiscent of Blaz Blue, where your characters look less like sprites and more like a fluid anime character. Of course, this is something we may never ever see. If anything I just want Somoga to finish their port of Lunar SS for the iOS. I would also love to see someone bring Magic School stateside for whatever platform, I just want to play the damn thing

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

I kinda want Lunar 3 to look like the "Complete" games, as that's always how I've imagined Lunar.