Working Designs Reincarnated?

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well we all like certain things so there really is no right way to enjoy playing a game. What I would love more than anything is to have music as good as the fully orchestrated soundtrack of Lunar: The Silver Star. I was so pissed when I played the remake and it was practically missing completely apart from a few things here and there.

Once in a while I play the game soundtrack in the car and reminisce. Man do I love the White Dragon Cave music, it's a shame it wasn't a much longer composition.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I wrote some long angry email about SSSC's inferior music, which fortunately I didn't send as I would have fallen straight into the noob trap of holding WD responsible for the music (they did insert about three phrases of music from TSS into SSSC). The music did grow on me, though not to the extent of the other games'. And agreed, the White Dragon Cave music is probably the piece which really made me pay attention to the music when I first played TSS.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

What didn't make sense to me was Vic telling everyone how much of the original music he was going to implement into the remake, and then the game is released with barely anything from the original. I think he said something about the tracks being too difficult to convert into SSSC's format which doesn't make sense to me. The original Burg music was supposed to be "THE" solid addition to the remake and it never happened.
I am the kind of person that would take a complete graphic overhaul of the original game with a remastered soundtrack and have that as my remake with the additional story/animation elements from SSSC. That would have been the perfect game.

I've been using a sample of the White Dragon Cave music as my email notification for the past 12+ years and I'm still not sick of it. That is the one track I was sorely missing from Silver Star Story, not to mention the original battle theme.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I've been using a sample of the White Dragon Cave music as my email notification for the past 12+ years and I'm still not sick of it. That is the one track I was sorely missing from Silver Star Story, not to mention the original battle theme.
While I did really enjoy the original White Dragon Cave music, I actually like the SSS track "Mysterious Cave" better. It's one of the few tracks I prefer from SSS over TSS.

On the whole, I find the original Sega CD soundtrack to be better, however. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Silver Phoenix wrote:What didn't make sense to me was Vic telling everyone how much of the original music he was going to implement into the remake, and then the game is released with barely anything from the original. I think he said something about the tracks being too difficult to convert into SSSC's format which doesn't make sense to me.
SSSC's music is played by the PS itself (essentially MIDI), while TSS's was redbook; that's why you can play TSS's music in a CD player right off the game disc but not SSSC's. It would have been necessary to sequence TSS's music in whatever format the PS uses, with its sounds, probably by ear since I suspect the original files used to create and then record TSS's music no longer existed after all that time. I'm pretty sure there wasn't room on the game discs for the redbook sound files used in TSS. I think the same situation existed with the Star Dragon theme WD had composed for the SegaCD EB.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You're right, I recall that being the issue now. I would have thought that since WD composed their own Star Dragon Tower theme they should have been able to sequence it for the Playstation. All of EB's music was PCM as I recall but I know that changed as well in the remake. I believe the Sega CD music is better than EB's remake because WD added some additional chords and background elements to some of the Sega CD tracks which were absent in the Playstation version. Pentagulia is the only one I recall right now but I know there were others.