Playing through JP Eternal Blue: Things to Know?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Playing through JP Eternal Blue: Things to Know?

Post by Sonic# »

Well, I'm playing the Sega CD Eternal Blue for the first time on the Mega Drive Mini 2*. I just got Ronfar and rescued Lucia from Leo.

The big issue is that I don't know Japanese. I know some hiragana and katakana, so I can sight-read names. I can also notice basic words when spoken - when Hiro says "boku" in his first monologue and Lucia says "watashi" later on, I know they're both saying "I." Finally, I have figured out the basic menus and abilities. Thankfully, the icons for magic abilities help a lot compared to The Silver Star.

Otherwise, I am essentially in a no-read playthrough. Thankfully the visual storytelling is good enough that I get the gist of what's going on, especially leaning on previous experience with EBC. I don't get the NPC dialogue, but I am surprisingly still enjoying the combat, the animations, the music, and the subtle details in architecture. (The planet/moon/star motifs in the first dragon tower are great.)

With all of that in mind, are there any places that may trip me up that I should look for? I have guides available if I get stuck, but so far the only hitch was in Larpa getting the order right in talking to the mayor, going to Ronfar, and so on.

*FWIW, I've also had fun with the other games I've tried so far, including those with an English translation included. I love the experience of diving into these games and figuring them out. Ichidant-R is great.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Playing through JP Eternal Blue: Things to Know?

Post by Alunissage »

I've only played up to just after Lucia is healed, so I'm pretty rusty too. I last played this game in Japanese in something like 2003, stopping just after Borgan. My distinct recollection is that Borgan is harder in the Japanese game than in the NA one, and he's legendarily hard in the NA one.

The story wasn't changed much in the remake, so you probably won't have much trouble figuring out what to do. In general the dungeons are more dungeony (mazelike, requiring things to do besides just bash through monsters) than I recall them being in EBC, and a few have clues in the dialogue. One is the manor near Takkar, which has three clues (one for each floor, perhaps?) to tell you how to handle each type of enemy you encounter there, and I don't remember if that was also the case in EBC. In English, the first clue is "Wind...wind...wind...", the second clue is "Dancer, dancer, light on your feet, your skill(?) is the key to salvation", and the third is "Close the windows and open the door of possibility." Or something like that; I don't remember the exact phrase in the second clue but "dancer" is the important part. You'd probably figure this out from trial and error, but considering that Hiro's wind spells pretty much suck in this game it might be a while.

I assume you've figured out the powering up magic spells option in Ruby's menu. Only some types of magic can get powered up (elemental, Health, Dance, and Chance), and they're the same ones that change names and become more powerful (and expensive) in EBC, so they'll be familiar both from that game and from SSSC, which modeled its spells on EB's -- Lemina's Flame and Ice spells are identical to Mia's. The max magic level is 30, and all spell groups follow the same pattern of new spells gained or old ones morphing into stronger versions at specific levels. I don't remember what they all are, but you gain the fourth spell in the set at magic level 16. I usually didn't use Ronfar's Chance spells too much other than the first one, Chance Dice, but that one is kind of fun -- there's a different effect for each of the 11 possible totals, with the most common (7) being just restoring the MP the spell cost to Ronfar. In the Illusion Woods there's an enemy that keeps summoning more of itself, and there was one battle I only survived because Ronfar got the roll that poisoned several enemies and four of them died at once. There were at least 40 enemies in that battle in total because of the summoning thing and only having two attackers at that point because Lucia had split or been knocked out meant that I couldn't take them out faster than they could call more of themselves.

I'll stop here because I'm starting to veer into specifics that are just part of gameplay rather than advice related to being unable to read the language, but let me know if you do want more specifics, or information on what accessories or items do, etc. Or a map or something, because the overworld is complex and it's entirely possible to lose your way. There's also an entirely missable one-room treasure cave not too far from where you are; I think that's the only "secret" on the overworld.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Thank you for all the details you provided, Alunissage.

I just went through the Illusion Woods, and mazelike is right. It tapped deep into my love of mazelike dungeons, as I double backed on my path at one point and still have no idea if I got every chest. I'll keep that tip about the manor in mind.

Yes, I did find the magic upgrade system after leaving Gwyn behind. I hope dumping all of that into Hiro's underwhelming wind spell was okay! I knew it only worked for some spells, but I didn't know the exact criteria for what was upgradable (elemental, health, dance, and chance is useful). I had not remembered the tip about the upgraded spells being like what happens in EBC, so that gives me an idea of what to look forward to.

So I fought the same enemy you're describing in Illusion Woods, the one that summons copies of itself ad nauseam. After defeating about ten of them and there still being three, I used Chance Dice and Ronfar rolled a 12. He immediately KOed himself and Lucia, leaving Hiro to (narrowly) finish the fight. I could only laugh at what happened.

I'm enjoying wandering the overworld and not knowing where I'm going, but I can't resist asking about a missable one-room treasure cave, if you remember where that is.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Haha, I had the double-6 thing happen to me too. Wasn't sure if I should spoil it for you what it does. I think that's the only one with negative effects. Here, I'll c/p from my notes:
Chance dice effects:
2 large damage to all enemies
3 mutes all enemies
4 poisons all enemies
5 paralyzes all enemies
6 puts all enemies to sleep
7 restores MP consumed by spell to Ronfar
8 raises party's DEF
9 raises party's ATK
10 restores HP to party
11 restores MP to party
12 large damage to party

"All" enemies is modulo whatever random factor goes into determining whether a target receives a status change, of course. Ronfar's second Chance spell is either 1E or 1A depending on result, third is 1E or OS (damages enemy or Ronfar), and the last one is an all-revive. I never used them much though so I can't tell you if they're worth the risk. Unlike EBC, the spells don't change in scope as they morph; they just do the same thing to the same targets, only stronger. N.b., Ronfar's third Health spell is my favorite.

Levelling up Hiro's Wind spells is pretty reasonable in the beginning, when every MP counts and so Boomerang being 3 MP instead of Poe Sword's 4 is helpful. It's just that once you get other party members it's usually more desirable to power up their spells because most of the time Hiro will be attacking rather than using magic and when he does use magic his Poe Sword is consistently strong. His second Wind spell is AZ, like Kyle's Power Sweep, so it's only useful if he's surrounded by enemies. Similar reasoning applies to Leo.

The treasure cave is to the east of Takkar (Temis) and the Ghost Manor. Go all the way east and down around the lake, then uphill.