The Chronicles of Nall

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Chronicles of Nall

Post by DevNall »

Hi all,

I was originally thinking of making a short video just for fun, but after reading the Lunar Online thread, I'm inclined to instead make something more with it.

click here (or here to skip directly to the second and probably cooler part)
(If you're on dialup, this may take a few seconds to load; the transition may take a minute or two, too.) This is just a quick DS-style prototype based on what I'd seen, currently there's no magic, items, and you're essentially invincible. If it runs too slow for some people, I may go back and redo it to use hardware acceleration.

Basically, I think it'd be fun to tell Nall's story following Alex and Luna's passing and prior to him starting the Dragon Kids. However, my area is largely animation and programming, so if there happen to be any talented/aspiring folks in other areas, it'd certainly be a lot easier.
artists (concept, sprite, .etc),
writers - I have very rough ideas for another party member and the villian, but that's about it,
voice actors - I see no reason why we can't include a bunch of recorded dialog :)

Otherwise, just curious if people think it's worth doing anything with.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Hmmmm...

I may be able to help with writing.

But have you considered this idea...

Ruby is too young, but we don't know her mother was Alex's Red Dragon. Alex's Red Dragon could be Ruby's Grandmother. Meaning there's a Red Dragon in between that somehow got killed in the thousand years between Alex and Hiro.

Why would we do this?

Never mind a 4 heroes story, imagine a '4 Dragons' story. Each with a human form, and a flying kitty form...and perhaps even a part of the game where the Dragons must adventure as full sized Dragons. That's be impressive (like the assault on Pentagulia was impressive...) Each with their traditional Dragon Spell as well as other stuff.

Who needs the power of humanity when you've got 4 dragons for an adventuring party.

...And what would they be adventuring for?

Well...that's where the Star Dragon comes in. Nall is aware of him in EBC. Nall must've met him somehow, then. This adventure is a perfectly good excuse for how they learned about him.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We don't know that dragons have children so directly. We don't know that there might not have been more than one red dragon at a time just as there was more than one white dragon at a time.

I can only really see the one battle screen with no movement besides the icons and bouncing scorpions, so I don't know what else there might be to it. I would advise against voice acting, though. Amateur voice actors tend to sound...amateur.

It's a neat idea. I don't know if anyone's explored that part of Lunar history. Here are some comments of Shigema's, which might be useful:

19. After he was separated from Alex, did Nall live with anybody?

After Alex and Luna's lives as humans came to an end, Nall was very lonely.
He wandered all over Lunar, met many people, and got caught up in an
adventure that rivaled the war against Ghaleon, but he couldn't find anyone
to whom to he felt he could pass the Althena's Sword that Alex entrusted to
him. He probably eventually came to think that Alex was the last worthy
Dragonmaster.
Finally, depressed and alone, Nall remembered the ancient Grindery and
founded a "Kingdom Where Time Has Stopped" consisting only of children,
which took his mind off his sadness.

20. What did Gwyn do long ago?

When he was young, he was a rather good-looking man. He himself says that
he tracked down some ancient ruins, visited a few of them, and had a few
adventures in the process. He probably met Hiro's parents on one of these
adventures. In that time, he gathered extensive information on the Blue
Spire and Blue Star.
Actually, it seems that he also met Nall...

28. The dragons know of each other's existence, don't they?

Yes, they do. Like with Nall in Lunar I and Ruby in Lunar II, if there is
any sort of disturbance upon their awakening, they lose the knowledge that
they are dragons and cannot use their abilities.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, I based the idea on Ghaleon taunting Nall with 'I'll kill you like I killed your father.' If Quark is Nall's father, then...
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think what she's getting at is that the dragons might not be born like humans, and that time is irrelavent with the dragons. There could possibly be two of one color of dragon (such as Nall and Quark), or there might be vacancies for some period, where only a spirit remains (ie the other three dragons in The Silver Star). Based on TSS, I think as long as one dragon is alive, the dragons will live on. If all four die, it might be possible that the dragon tribe would vanish? That's not even proven, but there is a book in Vane in one of the games that I quoted in the timeline regarding the end of the world occuring with the end of the dragons.

Either way, all of the idea's are good. I have nothing against the dragons going on a quest together. It'd be rather cool, but obviously, other than those comments by Shigema, it's up to the imagination for the most part.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah. And considering Nall didn't know where he came from or what he was Ghaleon probably didn't either, and both assumed a parental relationship. In TSS Nall realizes he must be the child of Quark, but no one (such as the dragon angels) actually tells him so, and of course Ghaleon doesn't consider him such then or he wouldn't have realized that there was still a last chance for Alex to become a dragonmaster via Nall. In SSSC Nall gets upset with every dragon capture, but that doesn't mean they were all his parents literally. Lastly, if dragons did reproduce that way, where did the replacement red/blue/black dragons come from? Was Nall their parent? As such, I think the best you'll be able to do is refer to Ruby's predecessor.

I think in TSS the prophecy is ...well, I'll just look it up.
VOLUME 8
- DRAGONMASTERS -

WHEN THE LAST MEMBER OF THE
DRAGON TRIBE DIES, THE WORLD
WILL LOSE ITS MAGIC POWER.

FROM THEN ON, THERE CAN BE
NO MORE DRAGONMASTERS, AND
THE WORLD WILL GROW DARK.

The world does indeed darken in TSS (one of the little touches that SSSC lacked) although I forget if this is immediately after the Black Dragon's defeat or after the Grindery rolls off (following Ghaleon's usage of Althena to blast down Vane).

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Hah, I'd like to hear about Gwyn's adventures as a "handsome young man". :mrgreen: I think I might have to draw that, now. I wish Lunar was more popular, so that they could market manga or something and we'd know so much more backstory. There's so many things I'd love to see - Four Heros adventures, Nall between the two games, Gwyn as a child, and especially more about the dragons.

Image I have quite an extensive Lunar dragons stuff collection. :D Good thing I'm most attached to them - they reappear often.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I could personally wish they'd name the Blue and Black Dragons.

And the Star Dragon too.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

The Blue Dragon will be named when Lunar 3 comes out...whenever that happens. Or the new blue dragon will, anyway. The blue dragon we know and love from the first and probably the second Lunar shall forever be known as "The Babbling Blue Dragon" who adventured with Alicia and Laticia, twin Dragonmasters.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Nah. Alex's Blue Dragon isn't the same as Hiro's. Alex's got hooked up the Grindery, in SSSC. His bones are probably interred in Taben's Peak. As are Quark's, etc. ...that thing is a Dragon Graveyard. No wonder Nall took it over...maybe he didn't want the remains of his ancestors desecrated...

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I don't think so - then Nall would have been the only dragon alive. Plus, the Lunar 2 blue dragon seemed to have the same sense of humor and attitude as blue dragon 1. Also, the same sprite. The face was different, but so was Nall's. The blue dragon seemed to me to be the only other surviving dragon besides Nall. And if it was a new blue dragon, why would he just go to sleep in a cave after his group of adventurers died, and not be like Nall? Of course, I don't really know, and no one will until someone asks the writers. We need more interviews to settle disputes!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, Nall likely was the only dragon alive post-SSSC and certainly was the only dragon alive post-TSS. I think Angelalex makes some interesting points about Taben's Peak being a burial ground for four previous dragons. Gives it a bit more than just being the Lostest Boys hideout.
-G1

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

Well...then...I've been told! (and shamed.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, in SSSC it's possible for the other dragons to have escaped after Ghaleon was defeated. I didn't mean to say it wasn't at all possible. But in TSS, Nall was definately the only one alive, as Quark was killed, and other dragons were already in spirit form. (save what was left of the Black Dragon, but even at that, I think it was more of a shell of his original form, rather than the Black Dragon himself).
-G1

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I guess I just thought that because in Final Fantasy VI, Kefka pretty much does to the espers what Ghaleon did to the dragons, and after you defeat Kefka, they escape.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, Nall's association with Taben's peak wouldn't have anything to do with the dragons dying there -- because they didn't, in TSS, and Nall ended up in Taben's Peak before the rewrite that was SSSC. The Grindery simply ran on steam originally.

And all the dragons have names in Legend: Fidy/Quark, Amelia, Cyan, and Rubeus. I know at least Amelia is also named in the Lunatic Festa drama CDs, and have no reason to think the other two aren't as well (I haven't listened to those parts as closely).

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Agreed. I only meant that going off the SSSC line, it adds a bit of interest that the dragons may have died there.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Angelalex242 wrote:Never mind a 4 heroes story, imagine a '4 Dragons' story. Each with a human form, and a flying kitty form...and perhaps even a part of the game where the Dragons must adventure as full sized Dragons... Who needs the power of humanity when you've got 4 dragons for an adventuring party.

I think there's actually a lot of potential in having other dragons involved (though maybe not all four in the party). And yeah, kicking ass as a full-fledged dragon could be fun. I hadn't thought about the dynamics involved, presumably you'd have to move the camera back quite a bit. (Actually, it might be amusing to have someone who wants to be a dragonmaster (someone possibly not suited to the task) searching for the dragons, not realizing they're actually right there).

Well...that's where the Star Dragon comes in. Nall is aware of him in EBC. Nall must've met him somehow, then. This adventure is a perfectly good excuse for how they learned about him.

You know, that's a really interesting point; IIRC, didn't it say somewhere that long ago there dragons were more numerous?

Alunissage wrote:Yeah. And considering Nall didn't know where he came from or what he was Ghaleon probably didn't either, and both assumed a parental relationship. In TSS Nall realizes he must be the child of Quark, but no one (such as the dragon angels) actually tells him so... Lastly, if dragons did reproduce that way, where did the replacement red/blue/black dragons come from? Was Nall their parent?

One thing I always wondered about this; did the other dragons recognize Nall for what he was and not say anything? Especially if Quark was his father, why say nothing? But, anyway, if Dragons do reproduce in some form, then perhaps Dragon DNA may not work like human DNA; so it's entirely possible that, for example, Nall and Ruby could have a blue child.

EDIT:
Alunissage wrote:I can only really see the one battle screen with no movement besides the icons and bouncing scorpions, so I don't know what else there might be to it.

The arrow and space keys don't do anything?

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Amelia was the Black Dragon?

Rubeus sounds more like a Red Dragon name, and Cyan is probably the Blue Dragon...

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I thought the red dragon was a female...in both games. Well, it's not like Cyan could be any other dragon but blue. I wonder how dragons are born...I doubt it's the normal way because if Nall and Ruby DID 'reproduce', their child wouldn't end up blue, it would be pink, and there's no pink dragon of Althena. Well, Ruby was pinkish, but you know. Light pink, then.

I can't imagine that the black, red, or white dragons from SSSC lived (Quark had to go because Nall grew up anyway, and red had to have died before Ruby came around...) but blue seemed pretty much the same.

Lady dragon.

I wonder how Gwyn and Nall met. Did Gwyn grow up in his orphanage? And how did he end up with Ruby...must have had something to do with Nall.