Final Fantasy XIII

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Final Night
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Final Night »

I didn't find a thread on this, but who's picking up FFXIII? I know we're all floating in those Lunar clouds of ecstasy right now, but is anyone planning on picking this game up on release day?

I've got it coming to me from Amazon on release day, but I probably didn't need to do that. I actually won't be starting it at least until AFTER next weekend and I'll probably save it for whenever I finish of SSH.

So are you getting it? When? Thoughts on what we've seen from the game so far?
† Final Night †

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Alunissage »

My husband's getting it. He isn't sure whether he'll start playing it immediately or let it sit for a while though.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I've been reading a lot of updates about it for I don't know how long now, Sadly i don't have a PS3 yet, and no money to get one anytime soon So I won't be getting it for awhile. I'm also not interested in it enough to buy it when it first comes out any ways, so even if I had a PS3 i would be waiting for the price to go down (I'm more excited about another certain Final Fantasy game...). Currently none of the characters really interesting to me, but i don't really know that much about them, so I'll just have to wait and play the game to really see what they're like.
I've been hearing good and not so good things about it, I'm hoping its good, I'll be getting it and playing it regardless what people say about it.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Im getting the LE Guide now but waiting for the game to drop to $30 since theres no LE.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I already pre-paid and will be picking it up Monday into Tuesday at midnight. However, I was more excited for Lunar than I am for FFXIII because it has the traditional appeal. I think FFXIII will be one of those games that grows on you, and it does have some great music tracks. I still prefer Nobuo Uematsu's scores though.

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

I just payed off my copy the other day. I'll be getting it at midnight as well. Anyone want to exchange gametags for this? I just will be getting the 360 version.

And why in the -hell- is europe getting a LE and not america? That makes no sense at all. FFXII had one for ps2!

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I'm very excited for it. I actually probably rushed through LUNAR a little faster than I would have liked so I would beat it in time for XIII. xD Once I get through this gem though, I'll replay LUNAR and give it the proper respect that it deserves.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

lady465
Meribian Merchant

Post by lady465 »

TerraBemani wrote:And why in the -hell- is europe getting a LE and not america? That makes no sense at all. FFXII had one for ps2!
That's a very good question! I would love a LE of it. I've got my regular ps3 copy preordered though even though I won't have much time to play for a while between school and moving :(

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Yeah, Europe has been getting LEs since Crisis Core (which I recently obtained for the artbook). I wanted Heavy Rain and FFXIII too, but couldnt find a place that shipped to America (well, HR I ran out of time and found out the OST was download only... I still want the box... but I just snagged the OST off iTunes for $10). =/

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

There is no LE in America because we're going to end up with crappy DLC that should have been in the game to begin with. Square-Enix is also pushing the inferior 360 version by having a Bundle that includes the game and a faceplate. Microsoft didn't want Sony to get double exposure by releasing the PS3 Limited Edition Bundle that Japan got in the US.

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

Wait this isn't Mega Man 10 and $2 for bass mode????

Oh wait it IS something like that! Who wants to bet you can pay $1 to go up one level anytime? I mean hey it's been done before. XD

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I have already pre-ordered it and they have sent the game on Friday. But since I bought it from UK (I live in Slovenia), it probably won't arrive until the end of the next at least.

Having that said, FF XIII was one of those games that I didn't know if I should get or not.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Silver Phoenix wrote: Square-Enix is also pushing the inferior 360 version by having a Bundle that includes the game and a faceplate. Microsoft didn't want Sony to get double exposure by releasing the PS3 Limited Edition Bundle that Japan got in the US.
Or... you know, it could be that they just think the 360 version will sell better in the US (which is probably true based in the sell stats in the US). And what's the evidence that the 360 version is inferior? Personally, if I had either system, I would just buy it for whatever system I had. In this era of gaming the 360 and the PS3 versions for almost every game are nearly identical.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Werefrog wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote: Square-Enix is also pushing the inferior 360 version by having a Bundle that includes the game and a faceplate. Microsoft didn't want Sony to get double exposure by releasing the PS3 Limited Edition Bundle that Japan got in the US.
Or... you know, it could be that they just think the 360 version will sell better in the US (which is probably true based in the sell stats in the US). And what's the evidence that the 360 version is inferior? Personally, if I had either system, I would just buy it for whatever system I had. In this era of gaming the 360 and the PS3 versions for almost every game are nearly identical.
Actually, it would seem that the 360 version is pretty darn inferior. Most notably, it runs at a lower resolution (576p) and requires three discs. And the article doesn't say anything about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the framerate was also lower on average on the 360. It was a pretty quick port, from what I understand.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Well, that seem to be somewhat worse. It's pretty hard to measure at what degree it's inferior to the PS3. These things are hard to quantify. Still, it doesn't seem that this would make too much difference on what version I would. It also doesn't really seem to me like Square is "pushing" the inferior version. It's more like they made a calculated business decision based on which version would sell more in the US.

And keep in mind, that I've never been one to defend Square-Enix. The only Square-Enix franchise I care much about is Dragon Quest.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I thought we didnt even get the Lightning faceplate in the US. Werent we the ones that got a basic 360 system with Lightning on the HD? =/ Sounds pretty lame.

I get the PS3 vers simply because Im more comfortable with the basic controller and most have been playing FF on Sony's systems for years...

lady465
Meribian Merchant

Post by lady465 »

ShindoW wrote:I get the PS3 vers simply because Im more comfortable with the basic controller and most have been playing FF on Sony's systems for years...
Same here. I have both systems but given the choice between the two I'll choose the ps3 every time because I like the controller more. It's less bulky and awkward to hold when you're spending hours playing a game.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You should buy the PS3 version for the simple fact that the PS3 is the lead platform that the game was developed on, and there is lossless audio with native 1080p cutscenes. The game itself runs native 720p during gameplay.

Microsoft is paying for the commercials, and SE is pushing the game on 360 because of the larger installed base of the Xbox 360 in the US. There are differences in the audio, video, and resolution in the 360 version but the mainstream consumer or most gamers aren't going to see this unless they had both versions running side by side on the same television settings. If you only have a 360 then by all means by that version. If you have both systems then you'll want the PS3 version.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I preordered FF. I won't be playing it til I'm done w/ Lunar though. I'm getting the PS3 version seeing as I don't have a 360 that actually works. :P

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

LOL. On facebook, a friend of mine told me that he plans to get FF13 for the Wii. This is his first new system since the N64 (and he's never played a FF besides the NES ones), so I'll let this slide without calling him a noob.