Anyone seen Princess and the Frog yet?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Dark Sploosh
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone seen Princess and the Frog yet?

Post by Dark Sploosh »

I saw it yesterday. Now, it may be because I'm an old fan of the Disney Renaissance, but it was probably one of the best movies of the year, and certainly the best thing Disney's put out in years. It was such a joy to see traditional animation coming back after all these years of CGI flicks. I just hope it makes a ton of money so Disney decides it's worth it to keep putting out traditionally animated features.
"The most powerful weapon on Earth is the human soul on fire." - Marshal Ferdinand Foch

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: Anyone seen Princess and the Frog yet?

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I plan to go see it next weekend, and I'm super excited about it! It was going to be this weekend, but I have finals to study for.*coughIprobablycoughshouldn'tbeonherebutohwellcough*
Dark Sploosh wrote:It was such a joy to see traditional animation coming back after all these years of CGI flicks. I just hope it makes a ton of money so Disney decides it's worth it to keep putting out traditionally animated features.
I couldn't agree with you more. I miss the good old animated classics. I hope they make more.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Dark Sploosh wrote: Now, it may be because I'm an old fan of the Disney Renaissance, but it was probably one of the best movies of the year, and certainly the best thing Disney's put out in years.
Are we counting Pixar movies as Disney movies? If so, I find this claim dubious.

Dark Sploosh
Saith Pirate

Post by Dark Sploosh »

Werefrog wrote:
Dark Sploosh wrote: Now, it may be because I'm an old fan of the Disney Renaissance, but it was probably one of the best movies of the year, and certainly the best thing Disney's put out in years.
Are we counting Pixar movies as Disney movies? If so, I find this claim dubious.
Don't worry, I consider Pixar separate from Disney.
"The most powerful weapon on Earth is the human soul on fire." - Marshal Ferdinand Foch

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Planning to see it as soon as I get a friend to come with me. :3 I love 2-D animation.
-Nobi

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I just got back from seeing it.

I gotta say it was pretty good. But one thing bothered me.

DID SOMEONE COPY AND PASTE?

lol.

Other then that, the art was gorgeous. I loved it every second of it was colorful, and very well drawn. They had a good mix of computer animation and drawings.

I recommend it. The music was really good too.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

*shrug*

I guess I appreciate that it uses hand-drawn animation, but I'm more anxious to see "Rapunzel."

Dark Sploosh
Saith Pirate

Post by Dark Sploosh »

Well Aaron, Disney Princes have always had this weird tendency to all look very similar, haven't they? Seriously, I can't think of one who's even blond. Still, at least they gave Naveen a personality, something that previous Princes were sorely lacking, so I think that really helped make it work.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Dark Sploosh wrote:Well Aaron, Disney Princes have always had this weird tendency to all look very similar, haven't they? Seriously, I can't think of one who's even blond. Still, at least they gave Naveen a personality, something that previous Princes were sorely lacking, so I think that really helped make it work.
Beast in his human form is rather blondish. And Prince Philip from Sleeping Beauty is a brun. Outside of that... yeah, their faces all look pretty similar.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark Sploosh
Saith Pirate

Post by Dark Sploosh »

Sonic# wrote:
Dark Sploosh wrote:Well Aaron, Disney Princes have always had this weird tendency to all look very similar, haven't they? Seriously, I can't think of one who's even blond. Still, at least they gave Naveen a personality, something that previous Princes were sorely lacking, so I think that really helped make it work.
Beast in his human form is rather blondish. And Prince Philip from Sleeping Beauty is a brun. Outside of that... yeah, their faces all look pretty similar.
*Facepalm* I totally forgot about Beast. It's probably because he's human for a grand total of two seconds, but still...thinking about it, Human Beast always had my favorite character design out of all the Disney Princes. Probably because he looked nothing like the others.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Saw it, loved it, laughed, cried, etc. It was so nice to see some traditional animation. Hope there will be more in the future, I miss it. Dr. Facilier was probably my favorite part of the movie. He was a solid villain. (I imagine Kingdom Hearts will have a field day with him if they decide to incorporate TPatF into the games. :roll: )
I guess I appreciate that it uses hand-drawn animation, but I'm more anxious to see "Rapunzel."

The concept art for Rapunzel is absolutely gorgeous, I can't believe they're making it a CG movie. It has so much potential... just my opinion, but I don't believe CG movies have the same level of beauty that 2-D animated films capture.

Oh and on a related note, Roy Disney passed away today, bless his soul. At least he held on long enough to see TPatF make it to #1 at the box office its opening weekend.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3