Just finished Lunar: Genesis

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Just finished Lunar: Genesis

Post by Kizyr »

I just finished Lunar: Genesis.

Full review to come later. It's nearly 3AM and I don't feel like writing one up right now.

But I did really enjoy it. The ending in particular...
Can't spoil anything, though. Except for one thing:

***SPOILER FOR DRAGON SONG***
[spoiler]Titus is such a fairy[/spoiler]
***SPOILER FOR DRAGON SONG***

Overall I'd have to give the game a 75%. I still recommend it, and you can expect it to be good, but don't hold it to the same standards as EB or TSS. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

So what prevented it from being a solid 76%? ;)
-Rich-

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Kizyr, it's so nice to hear confirmation the game is good, I haven't been excited for a game like this in a long time.

Though, honestly I'd feel a little better if Alunissage acknowledged it as a great game. I don't mean any offense, it's simply the matter of a fact that she seems to me to be some kind of Lunar guru, outranking anyone else's knowledge of the franchise(thus would be the hardest to win over)...and if DS got her attention, I figure anyone could like it ^^;;

I have to ask something about your spoiler, though...

*SPOILER!*

[spoiler]Are you reffering to Titus from FFX? Or is this a new Lunar character?[/spoiler]

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Titus is a character in Lunar DS.

No slight to Alunissage at all, but if there was a Lunar guru, my top choice would be Rune, just because she's been around longer than any of us. Though Dragonmaster Lou used to take that rank before disappearing it seems.
-G1

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

I see, I guess I'll know what he's talking about when I play the game.

It's hard for me to see your side of things about Rune, or dispute against it. Again, nothing against a person's knowledge, but I haven't been coming here for that long and I don't know anyone like you all seem to know each other. While I don't usually post I still visit these boards frequently and I see Alunissage posting and correcting people a lot, so to me it seems she knows the most.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hehe. I'm flattered, but I'm probably just the mouthiest. ;) And what I care about for the most part is the stuff I can't appreciate in Genesis due to the language thing, unfortunately. Mostly what I have is a good memory for where to find things, but not always what the things actually are.

Rune runs the Shrine to Ghaleon and is thus archivist/curator for quite a few fanfics, and also ran a Lunar RPG for a while, requiring a lot of study of the games. I seem to recall she didn't play at least one of the PS games in English, though. Also, from having been around so long, she can comment on how thoughts and theories have changed through the years, such as what the explanation of Ghaleon's purple scaly bit in EB is.

By the way, if you haven't already you really should check out the Shrine's library and read her novelization of one of the Vheen manga stories. I consistently can't remember which is which. >_<

Rune's also the one boardmember I've met in person. That was fun. ^_^

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well Rune and I are like Lunar elders, if you want to look at it in that respect. I've been a Lunar fan since I was 13, and I'm 25 now. I can't claim to know everything Lunar related though, just that I'm one of the sexy fans. :P

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Rune ran an RPG?

Pity she vanished.

Did she run play by post or MU format?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Vanished? She's just in crunch mode right now. She'll be around. She does not currently run RPGs, though. Her site has some information on the ones she did.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I was rather underwhelmed by the ending, but concidering how good Lunar 1 and 2 were at building tension it'd be hard for any game to compare. I have to say that plotwise, Lunar Genesis isn't on the same scale as it's predecessors.

The ending raised more questions than it answered. It'll make great fanfic fodder.

[spoiler]After all, if someone falls to their 'death', you mustn't believe it until you see the body.[/spoiler]

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:No slight to Alunissage at all, but if there was a Lunar guru, my top choice would be Rune, just because she's been around longer than any of us. Though Dragonmaster Lou used to take that rank before disappearing it seems.

My top choice would be myself.

Yes, I'm vain. But if you want Alun's honest opinion, you'll have to wait until it's released stateside anyway.

Shiva Indis wrote:The ending raised more questions than it answered. It'll make great fanfic fodder.

Yep...

Major spoiler below.

[spoiler]No kidding, the falling-to-his-"death?" scene was classic. No body tends to mean no death. Though I will say, it was unexpected not to battle him.[/spoiler]. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Angelalex242 wrote:Rune ran an RPG?

Pity she vanished.

Did she run play by post or MU format?

I'm still very much alive. :P I just haven't been here for the past week. I'm probably more like the retired Lunar guru though. Everything that Alunissage is doing now I used to do back when I had more time. :| Silver Phoenix and Kizyr probably remember "Ghaleon Dragonstar" debating on the old Lunar-L. I'm just... older now, and more tired, with less time.

I was the GM for the Lunar: Magic Empire RPG which ran from Nov 1996 - Jan 1999. We did not play by post. We used IRC (chat room) using a homebrew gaming system (simple dice-based stuff) that you're probably familiar with if you've played table top D&D at all. The game ended pretty much because the campaign ended. I started it intending to take the players through a story from start to finish, so when the story finished, the game did too.

The web page is still archived here if you're interested in seeing it: http://home.earthlink.net/~kazyr/
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I see.

I mentioned elsewhere that I meant to start a Lunar based MU*, or work the cast into an existing MU*.

Anyways, I regret not being there for that sort of thing. But, I didn't discover RP in truth till after your series ended. And it took me a while to mature as an RPer anyway, so you wouldn't have wanted me back then anyway.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Someone mentioned that the game brought up more questions than it answered. Wasn't it said in that one Nintendo Power article that Lunar: DS may have a direct sequel of some sort? Or did I imagine it? :?

Oh and don't spoil anything regarding the ending for me, please. :oops:

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Katze wrote:Someone mentioned that the game brought up more questions than it answered. Wasn't it said in that one Nintendo Power article that Lunar: DS may have a direct sequel of some sort? Or did I imagine it? :?

The article did state that there may be another Lunar game, but it may not be a direct sequel -- Four Heroes Story is a likely candidate.