Lunar DS to cost $39.99

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
laus
Iluk Crackpot
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar DS to cost $39.99

Post by laus »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256786.asp

:?

Was 29.99 two days ago

I don't get it. Same price as Shadow of the Colossus(another game I'm really looking forward to). And DS is suppose to have one of the lowest development cost with the GBA. How can it be the same price as a PS2 game is beyond me.

Oh well I'm still gonna get it for sure, have it pre-ordered anyway. Still frustrating tho. Wish it was a mistake, but I seriously doubt it is.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Isn't it still $29.99 on Ubisoft's website?

EDIT: Oh, and the game is supposedly delayed until September 27th, 2005 now. No real harm in waiting one more week.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Unless they're giving away something with it, it's probably a mistake. AFAIK, Nintendo doesn't let DS games retail for more than $35
-Rich-

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well I certainly hope the game doesn't sell for $39.99. Prices usually tend to be different as well, depending on what stores you go to. EBGames is pretty much never the cheapest.

I have to buy one for myself, and I'm buying one as a birthday present, for a friend. Hopefully I won't have to spend over $80 in total.

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

well thats whats good about preordering, if you fully paid it off, then if theres a price change you usually get the price you paid at pre order.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Unless the price change means it goes down in price, right? ;)

Now EBgames, well, they're usually more expensive than most places.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Apocalypse
Lann Fisherman

Post by Apocalypse »

I go to Gamestop and I get almost ALL of the DS games (even ones that were JUST released) for $25.00. Pretty damn awesome. 8)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

$39.99 seems steep for a DS game, especially given that most games are $29.99-$34.99, but it's not unheard of. Alas, this probably means I won't rush out and buy it though. :| By the time I'm ready to play it, it'll probably have its first price drop.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

This is the first new Lunar game in over ten years, and you're gonna put it off? I'll smack yo' ass with the Ghaleon Punching Puppet just for that. :wink:

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I kinda doubt the 40 dollar price tag will hold. We'll have to see though.
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Silver Phoenix wrote:This is the first new Lunar game in over ten years, and you're gonna put it off? I'll smack yo' ass with the Ghaleon Punching Puppet just for that. :wink:

Hey, hey... :D Don't make me chase you with my own punching puppet. As soon as this weekend is over I'm going back to crunch mode at my job and I barely get any time to play games as it is. A half hour every other night of the week is no way to play an RPG (and keep any sense of story), so I'm going to have wait anyway. I'm sure Dragon Song will still be fun when I get there.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, with my college classes I don't know how much breathing room I'll have myself. I'm sure I'll manage it somehow. From now on, we'll refer to the punching puppet as "Ghaleon's PP." Just so it sounds dirty. Hopefully work won't wear you out, so you can at least have some time to relax.

Vinnk
Meryod Yokel

Post by Vinnk »

Well.. It's almost 5000 yen here in Japan (about US$47), so really that dosn't sound so high...

But I suppose if you are used to paying only $30...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Well, prices in Japan for all entertainment is generally higher. So you're right that it's better to compare it with the average prices in the region. I mean, a new CD typically costs about 3000 yen, and let's not get started on DVDs...

Comparably, $30 is the price for most DS games out right now. It'd be a bad move if they priced it any higher than, say, Castlevania. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You know, speaking of cost to buy something, why is it so inflated in Japan? Another thing I'm curious about, is why does it take 5000 yen to make 47 US dollars? I mean, that would put a normal US paycheck (based off of my old earnings) at about 212000ish yen.

HuBBsDoctor
Reza Thief

Post by HuBBsDoctor »

Some DS games do go for $40. Almost all EA games goes for about $40.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:You know, speaking of cost to buy something, why is it so inflated in Japan? Another thing I'm curious about, is why does it take 5000 yen to make 47 US dollars? I mean, that would put a normal US paycheck (based off of my old earnings) at about 212000ish yen.

First question, it's not inflated, just certain things cost more. Entertainment in particular will cost more since Japan tends to produce the same quality material with about half the market of the US, for instance. So, to sell a CD in Japan that has about the same overhead cost as it would in the US, the price needs to be higher to accommodate a relatively smaller market. Video game prices don't have to be as high, though, since the market in Japan is still sizeable relative to the US.

Your second question doesn't really make sense. It's about as arbitrary as asking why we don't just say it costs 1300 cents to buy a CD, or why we don't call our Dollar the Credit instead. It's just names and numbers; that's all arbitrary. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

But why such high numbers? I mean, I feel sorry for the chap who moves to Japan and thinks a million Yen makes him rich :P (Though I doubt that ever happens, for one, if you go to japan obviously your going to learn the exchange rate when you first get there.)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:But why such high numbers? I mean, I feel sorry for the chap who moves to Japan and thinks a million Yen makes him rich :P (Though I doubt that ever happens, for one, if you go to japan obviously your going to learn the exchange rate when you first get there.)

...you're still getting hung up on the numbers. The numbers aren't 'high', they're just higher than those if they're denominated in dollars. I mean, why not just eliminate the cent and round everything off to the nearest dollar? Same difference, and just as silly reasoning.

Dollar-denominated things are high compared to Euros, Pounds Sterling, and Gold-Pressed Latinum. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

and...what?