Late news, but a passing in the LUNAR family

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Late news, but a passing in the LUNAR family

Post by Zhane Masaki »

:!: Iemasa Kayumi, Japanese voice of Zophar, is dead at 80. Died on September 30th
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Late news, but a passing in the LUNAR family

Post by Shiva Indis »

Looked this guy up on Wikipedia just now, and I bring you the following trivia: Kayumi was the Japanese dub voice of Frank Sinatra, Donald Sutherland, and Christopher Lee.

Also, he dubbed over Ian McKellen in all the X-Men films -- including the one this year.

ご冥福を
「まあいいけど。」

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Whoa. He dubbed a great combination of characters. Did he shift to more villainous roles in his later career?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

ZOPHAR!!!!!!!!!!! D:
I'm really sad to hear this. At least he got to do some good roles in his career though.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Shiva Indis wrote:Looked this guy up on Wikipedia just now, and I bring you the following trivia: Kayumi was the Japanese dub voice of Frank Sinatra, Donald Sutherland, and Christopher Lee.

Also, he dubbed over Ian McKellen in all the X-Men films -- including the one this year.

ご冥福を
You know he was someone awesome because they don't pick just anyone to be Sinatra.

Now I got Witchcraft stuck in my head but in the US Zophar's voice.. lol

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

This is probably as good a space as any to note another Lunar passing at the end of last year: Rokurou Naya. He lent a ghostly, wavering voice to Ghaleon in all entries except SSS.

Perhaps an appropriate send-off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXWE0jx0TBA&t=21m13s
aka Maou

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I remember the insane laughter on the Japanese TSS disc. Presumably that was him.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

A lot of the greats in gaming, big names and otherwise, are pretty damn old. They'll be leaving some incredibly big shoes to fill.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Alunissage wrote:I remember the insane laughter on the Japanese TSS disc. Presumably that was him.
It was indeed. Like John Truitt, he toned down the crazy and upped the sneering in Eternal Blue, to great effect.
aka Maou

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hm. I played the Japanese EB up to just after the fight with Borgan, but I don't remember anything about the voices. But I'm hoping to play that version again this summer.

I would guess that he wasn't the Ghaleon on the Lunatic Festa CDs, since they would've used the SSS seiyuu?

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Alunissage wrote:Hm. I played the Japanese EB up to just after the fight with Borgan, but I don't remember anything about the voices. But I'm hoping to play that version again this summer.

I would guess that he wasn't the Ghaleon on the Lunatic Festa CDs, since they would've used the SSS seiyuu?
Right you are, though Naya does appear briefly on the Lunatic Parade albums during the final bonus track, "Ghaleon's Last Moments." To the extent that Ghaleon is in Festa at all (and I don't recall), it would be the distressingly generic Kiyoyuki Yanada instead. Of all the changes to SSS, this was the one I truly couldn't get past. Naya was just too good.
aka Maou

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Temzin wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Hm. I played the Japanese EB up to just after the fight with Borgan, but I don't remember anything about the voices. But I'm hoping to play that version again this summer.

Right you are, though Naya does appear briefly on the Lunatic Parade albums during the final bonus track, "Ghaleon's Last Moments." To the extent that Ghaleon is in Festa at all (and I don't recall), it would be the distressingly generic Kiyoyuki Yanada instead. Of all the changes to SSS, this was the one I truly couldn't get past. Naya was just too good.
Where can I get this music other than HERE...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lunar-Eternal-B ... 35e5f7d3e9

I want it...that price though...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ack, that's reminding me AGAIN that I've had one to mail to Kizyr for like 3 years now. >_<

I do have an extra set of the four Lunatic Festas that I could sell for what I compute to be reasonable cost, if you're interested now that Ghaleon's been denounced as subpar. ^_^ (He has dialogue with Dyne on the first disc, and I'm pretty sure one with Xenobia on the third or fourth disc. I did enjoy her voice, as I recall.) Both the Festas and the Parades alternate music and drama tracks, though there's usually music in the background of some of the drama. Some pretty fun clarinet stuff in a couple of them.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

For now, I'll have to settle for hearing them on YouTube. Broke isn't fun. lol

Has anyone posted translations to the drama dialogue?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Temzin wrote:
Alunissage wrote:I would guess that he wasn't the Ghaleon on the Lunatic Festa CDs, since they would've used the SSS seiyuu?
To be honest, I generally thought Ghaleon's character also became distressingly generic in SSS, so maybe it fit.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Temzin wrote:This is probably as good a space as any to note another Lunar passing at the end of last year: Rokurou Naya. He lent a ghostly, wavering voice to Ghaleon in all entries except SSS.
Whoa, I had no idea. I didn't know he passed away....
Alunissage wrote:Ack, that's reminding me AGAIN that I've had one to mail to Kizyr for like 3 years now. >_<
Wait, what CD? I think I have all of them now.
...er also you need to PM me your address so I can return that extra copy of the MS TRPG book that you lent me ages ago {^^}.

EDIT: Wait, I don't have Lunatic Parade Vol. 2. I think that's the only one I'm missing now.
Leo wrote:For now, I'll have to settle for hearing them on YouTube. Broke isn't fun. lol
Has anyone posted translations to the drama dialogue?
...it's on my very long to-do list... I keep saying I'll get to it this year but it doesn't happen.

Damon swears that he won't let me remove the "probationary" from my title until I get those done. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I was wondering what that was about... lol

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Sad to hear about Rokuro Naya, I remember his work fondly from a few other shows as well. Trivia: he voiced Professor X in the Japanese dub of the 90s X-Men cartoon.

As to the relative merits of Naya vs. Yanada, Ghaleon is a somewhat atypical character for Yanada, who often is cast as bruisers or military-types. He provided the voice of Megatron in the Transformers show I've been watching ( :mrgreen: ) and I hear very little similarity to his work on Lunar. Meanwhile, Naya was all about eeriness.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Since you're here... do I remember correctly that you'd transcribed some or all of the drama CDs? Could I get a copy of that if so?

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

That would make a great addition to the site.