Lunar The Last Hope

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Lunar Rpgmaker project

Post by LunarRaptor »

Lord Yggdrasill wrote:This surely looks interesting, good chance it will get done before Lunar 3's official release. Best luck!
That, or Kingdom Hearts III's release, neither of which will likely ever come.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

EternalDragonX
Nanza Bandit

Re: Lunar The Last Hope

Post by EternalDragonX »

Kizyr wrote:
EternalDragonX wrote:its a shame these frauds here havn't been trying to give you all the motivation in the world to keep the project going
I assume you're not serious about this statement, right? KF
I on hundred percent stick with my statment and what kind of person would I be to back off of them. I strongly agree that this comunity should be backing this project 10 fold. I was embarassed by the shear lack of mativation the community is giving this mean. Do you not all realize that the potentail for this game is staggering? I mean my dear lord we havn't played a lunar game with an original story for 17 YEARS!. Its been the same darn thing over and over and over I mean how many freakin times can one man play The Silver Star?

As for the characters I love the list and am with you 100 percent that Leo should be in and not Jean unless as I said before you could choose your party and sub out the characters in the menu. I am extatic that Tempest will be my man once again. Honestly I was curious if you thought the same but ask yourself this. What if the main character was neither Alex Nor Hiro but.......wait for it................Nall from Eternal Blue and He's trying to get the crew back together because Hiro was captured or something.. That would be magnificent, its all up to you though my friend.

My dream team:
Nall the leader Daggers as a weapon type and dragon powers.
Tempest with the bows and whips with wind magic
Leo as my brawler with support magic
Human Ruby with healing powers
Mia sporting a new outfit with the devestatin Fire and Ice
Best part yet a little flying blue dragon to manage my team (Nall and Ruby got married and had a baby not yet a Human)

Well back to patiently waiting I love the Tempest news but to mix the characters I really think you need to work it into the story somehow about some mixed Time lapse as I said before or else it would seem really fake and mashed together.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

EternalDragonX wrote:
Kizyr wrote:
EternalDragonX wrote:its a shame these frauds here havn't been trying to give you all the motivation in the world to keep the project going
I on hundred percent stick with my statment and what kind of person would I be to back off of them. I strongly agree that this comunity should be backing this project 10 fold. I was embarassed by the shear lack of mativation the community is giving this mean. Do you not all realize that the potentail for this game is staggering? I mean my dear lord we havn't played a lunar game with an original story for 17 YEARS!. Its been the same darn thing over and over and over I mean how many freakin times can one man play The Silver Star?
In the last decade I've seen over a dozen projects similar to this spring up. Some have gotten huge backing. Only two of them have come even close to an actual, playable project -- the failure rate is really high.

Regardless, you have a full page of response of other forum members offering help, suggestions, information, and other resources. There's more initial support for this project right off-the-bat, from folks who this is their first time seeing anything of it, than I've seen for any similar effort in the last decade. So your statement that there's no support for this community makes absolutely no sense.

Even then, many people in this community don't have a lot of free time, myself included. So saying that we're 'frauds' for not devoting all our time to yet another project, given the failure rate -- despite the fact that this has gotten more support in the first several days than most of the others similar to this -- is off-base. If you want to back the project, help out, or do anything else, then that's fantastic; saying that other people should feel ashamed for not sharing your enthusiasm, though, is ridiculous. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

EternalDragonX
Nanza Bandit

Post by EternalDragonX »

Kizyr wrote:
EternalDragonX wrote:
Kizyr wrote:
In the last decade I've seen over a dozen projects similar to this spring up. Some have gotten huge backing. Only two of them have come even close to an actual, playable project -- the failure rate is really high.

Regardless, you have a full page of response of other forum members offering help, suggestions, information, and other resources. There's more initial support for this project right off-the-bat, from folks who this is their first time seeing anything of it, than I've seen for any similar effort in the last decade. So your statement that there's no support for this community makes absolutely no sense.

Even then, many people in this community don't have a lot of free time, myself included. So saying that we're 'frauds' for not devoting all our time to yet another project, given the failure rate -- despite the fact that this has gotten more support in the first several days than most of the others similar to this -- is off-base. If you want to back the project, help out, or do anything else, then that's fantastic; saying that other people should feel ashamed for not sharing your enthusiasm, though, is ridiculous. KF
Point well taken. I was unaware of previous projects so you can see where my views would come into fruition. I apologize if I offended anyone and lets just hope that this project doesn't fall off the cliff that why I think maybe small chunks being finished and released would be the best course of action. Making the game a 2 or 3 trilogy with 5 to 10 hrs each also with side quests giving it a few more optional hrs. So the project doesnt overwhelm.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Man, people are hating on fanfics here. There's nothing wrong with them, and they're where many good writers have gotten their start, despite what George R. R. Martin might say to the contrary. (I just found out that Naomi Novik started with that, as well as writing for games like Neverwinter Nights.)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

EternalDragonX wrote:Point well taken. I was unaware of previous projects so you can see where my views would come into fruition. I apologize if I offended anyone and lets just hope that this project doesn't fall off the cliff that why I think maybe small chunks being finished and released would be the best course of action. Making the game a 2 or 3 trilogy with 5 to 10 hrs each also with side quests giving it a few more optional hrs. So the project doesnt overwhelm.
No problem. It might help (not just you, but everyone -- particularly Punisher) to know a bit why some of the other projects tend to fail.

The two most consistent problems are (1) lack of a long term plan (so it never gets past the "I got a cool idea!" phase), and (2) lack of the necessary resources to make a good game. Eventually the project just takes so long and gets absolutely nowhere, so people give up. The funniest thing is when someone announces a project, asks for help, and you get 20 responses of "I can't code or do any artwork, but I can write!" -- since the people who respond as such usually are very bad writers, and the most important things to actually make a game are people who can code and do the artwork, not write. So the best thing to do to help out on any project is, first, to see if the person making it actually has a fully-fleshed out plan for the game, and second, to figure out what resources he/she needs, not just what you can offer. (Figuring out what you can realistically offer also helps.)

The closest projects that got somewhere had people who could program really well -- or translation projects where the coding wasn't too difficult (like Lunar Walking School).
Lishy wrote:The setting? Thousands of years after Eternal Blue... Taking place not on the Silver Star... But the BLACK Star!
Ok, the initial general story you had was really, truly going somewhere. Everything after this point though absolutely ruins the idea, however... I can boil it down to one thing to keep it simple:
Obviously this has many parallels to the real world, with Jeuscholtz being Israel, Alkeneah being America, Cifca being Africa (though Cifcans are more a reference to Muslims and Arabs).
Forcing parallels to the real world ruins the story. It comes across as incredibly transparent, shallow, and unimaginative -- you spend all the time trying to replace real-world names/places with fictional world ones and you lose all of the depth in the middle (not to mention it completely ruins the fantasy environment while you're at it). Sonic# might be able to offer more guidance on why this never works (he's more of a literary expert). But the basic reason is that rather than trying to "build" a world, you just take some news headlines and replace all the proper nouns. Readers will notice, it'll be very obvious and predictable, it leaves no room for creativity or original execution -- and that's not the sort of reaction you want from an audience.
Lishy wrote:In one religion, god is Deus, and the devil is Iblis. But in the desert regions of Cifca with a religion inspired by Islam, the one god of the world they speak of is Zophar and the taboo angel whom refused to bow to god was named Althena!
...I'm also not sure how I feel about the implication that I'm worshiping the God of Darkness... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

Hello guys ! :P 600 views and more ! Thats nice !
My topic is for the first time ... sooo alive , and i like that 8-)

Don't forget i'm a french guy , let me know if my english is bad sometimes lol ( i already know that lol)

First of all , my first priority with that project was ...
to release a demo with the battle system , menu system and a little part of the story ,where u can go in a village and a dungeon with a boss at the end. Yeah i know that is classic for a demo . But thats what i want for now. After that, the motivation will go by itself !

I got a good part of the story sypnosis right into my head .I dont let u know it for now , but really soon ,i hope so.

Sometimes , i dont know how to say that ... but i dont even bother about the 2 lunars game story , i loved it so much !
But what i want in my project , is a real new story . I will take all the graphics from both lunars , i will keep in mind the
emotions i got when i played them , and i'll create a new one by my own.
Thats not gonna be a sequel , or a remake . Thats gonna be a "brand new one".
Keep that in mind ...

I know many peoples gonna be angry about my decision , by exemple

(No way man ! Is not suppose to be like that ! Is not like in lunar!)
(Leo is a archer ?? wtff ???)
(Tempest is one of the main characters ?)
(You mixed hiro and luna ?? i'm angry)
(Ghaleon is in the party ?how it can be ?!)
(Kyle is sober ?? holy shiit !!)
(Alex can fly with a rocket in his ass ? wtf ?? ... so unreal ... ok that's enough loll) :lol:

(DONT FORGET)Thats not what my game gonna be ! Thats just a exemple of how my game can be twisted .

I dont want to recreate every characters one by one,with same game mechanics , and every same stuff ...

-The battle system gonna the same as lunar 2 , but with many other features.
-The menu system is probably , completely a new one
-Side quests will be added
-Skills improvement
-Stats booster (maybe with items or by points)
-etc...

Many things have yet to come :P

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

Think you might ever release the source so people like me can see their story come into fruition? :lol:

And how do you explain the timeline issues? Lunar 2 takes place hundreds of years after Lunar 1.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

kizyr wrote:In the last decade I've seen over a dozen projects similar to this spring up. Some have gotten huge backing. Only two of them have come even close to an actual, playable project -- the failure rate is really high.
Kizyr took the words out of my mouth. I'm sorry, but fan games just don't work out.

It takes a tremendous amount of skill in *every* area of game design to create your very own, no matter how easy an RPG maker may look. Also, it takes a -Dragon Diamond--ton of charisma to achieve anything that fans will respect; not about you personally, but what you create.

You have plenty of encouragement. People do love seeing fan games made, and being able to interact with them. So good luck, fellas. But realize what you're doing.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Just FYI, I split the topics unrelated to Punisher999's project off into their own thread. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

Thanks. I think my posts went a little too far :X

(I should have just put it up on a pastebin or something...)

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

still on working
Last edited by Punisher699 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EternalDragonX
Nanza Bandit

Post by EternalDragonX »

Lesson learned I guess. Poo Poo Pah Chu Suikoden has nothing on Lunar BTW.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Heh. Sorry for chuckling, but surely you knew this was going to happen when you announce a small idea and a few quick pictures?

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

Hello everyone ,
That's a little news , i'm going to do some work on my project , isn't really over .
It was just on the ice during the spring. But i'm going to keep working on my
project without "stress" and "timeline". And I found a new way to rip lunar's
graphics , so ... that's really a good news to me !! 8-) . Don't forget ,i'm
alone on that game ... and it's always tough to do everything alone... SO if
anyone would like to help me. With sounds,musics,graphics,programming,ideas,or
anything else , that's could be the best !

I just would like to say, it's always easy to come here and watch news , and see
what others wrote, and do nothing about it . Or you can come here , to help me .
Never forget one thing ... We are "all" fans of that great game , called "Lunar"...So
u all know what to do :roll:

*The only thing i would like u to know , that is the project still ALIVE , but at my speed.*

I hope you will continue coming here , watching my news :P

EDIT: Thats a little picture :P

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

I'm trying to figure out ... if i'm going to keep shadows for the characters.
All my rips come without it ... and its a hard work to put every single shadow for
each character. I don't know if it doesn't really matter ? don't u think ?

Here a sample of with n without shadows

What do you think of that ?

EDIT :

OMG !!! I have just finished the whole chipset of my first village :P (256 x 9210 pixels) SO Huge ! loll

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59 ... outer.png/

Don't try to use it ... anyway its all resized . It took me 5 hours to do it ...

Yeah , the chipset is from meribia , i'm going to make a brand new one for my game ... to be continued :P

I will give you a picture of my village when it's over

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

I'm thinkin about names for my characters,bad guys and NPC's.
That's the result for now...

MAIN CHARACTERS
Alex = Matt,Teo,Alen,Ted,Max
Luna = Lucia,Sarah
Kyle = Viktor,Luke,Samson
Mia = Anji,Ahri,Anri,Mel,Wendy
Jessica = Marie,Natasha
Leo = Leon,Slade,Chaz,Shade
Tempest = Hans,Kayle,Nash,Kyra
Laike =Georges,gordon,Albert,Sig,Randolf

And this is what i like the most

Alex= Max
Luna= Sarah
Kyle= Samson
Mia= Mel
Jessica= Marie
Leo= Slade or Leon
Tempest= Hans
Laike= Randolf

BAD GUYS
Zio
Kain
Kane
Chaos
Oddler
Lorele(Lorelai)

NPC's
Higins
Melody
Julia
Sylvia

But now ! i need your help ,
I want to know what you're thinking about names.
Tell me yours , or if you like it or not.

About my village , it's going very well... it's more than halfway done :P

PS : Since June 19th , i have received no answers...
Please guys,do something about that , i need your comments and ideas . I really need it

Thank u a lot 8-)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Zio is an interesting choice; as I recall, one of the villains in Phantasy Star was named Zio.

And Mel has a problem, since it draws a parallel to one of the Four Heroes. I like the name in other contexts, but here you might want to avoid confusion.

Finally, I haven't had much to say - I like the tile sets. Have fun with it. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

Zio is an interesting choice; as I recall, one of the villains in Phantasy Star was named Zio
Yeah the name Zio is from PH4. One of the best villain ever .
And Mel has a problem, since it draws a parallel to one of the Four Heroes. I like the name in other contexts, but here you might want to avoid confusion.
My first choice was Anji ,probably i will choose that one instead of Mel... you're right

But what do you think about the other names ?

Punisher699
Pao Hunter

Post by Punisher699 »

My map is OVER ! loll
But it's really late here ... and i have to work tomorrow , so i will post my picture tomorrow 8-)

EDIT : Was too busy today ... so tomorrow afternoon 8-)