Jenner was right (The Last Airbender)

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Jenner was right (The Last Airbender)

Post by Werefrog »

Jenner wrote: Additionally, please come back to this post and see this lovely I told you so after you read a The Last Airbender review.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

However, I'm still not sure that this means the movie betrays the original. As much as I like the Avatar series, you must admit, it's not high art. The word "joyless" seems to be popping up a lot though, which is too bad because I don't think I would ever use that adjective to describe the cartoon series. Still... whenever kids series are released on the big screen, I have to wonder if the problem is that these movies just aren't for the critics. Granted some children movies are just amazing and can be enjoyed by anyone (Studio Ghibli and Pixar come to mind), but some can't be. I think Avatar the series might fall in between.

Still, the obvious warning sign was that the movie was live action (also, there were some odd casting decisions http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/24/heresies/). Still, I try to give movies the benefit of the doubt. I'll probably still see The Last Airbender when it comes out on DVD (almost said VHS).

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Re: Jenner was right (The Last Airbender)

Post by Jenner »

...This is one of the few times where I really hate being right. This had the potential to be so good.

But I saw it coming the second he whitewashed the cast, and the fact that the co-creator had to be given two giant bags of money to pretend to be on board with this abortion of his story.

Everyone has a price.
Hope the diamond plated ceiling fans are worth ruining the only decent animation to come out of the west in over thirty years, Bryan.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Jenner wrote:Hope the diamond plated ceiling fans are worth ruining the only decent animation to come out of the west in over thirty years, Bryan.
I would step over my dying mother to get diamond plated ceiling fans. It would be worth it.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

This movie made me rage sooooo hard. There are literally so many things I could -Borgan- about that I would not have the time in a day to sit down write it all out. I thought I learned my lesson with the Happening, but I am such a big fan of the Avatar series that I had to go see it. Well, suffice it to say that I am not a masochist so I did not enjoy myself.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I haven't seen the series, much less do I care to see the movie. >>;

However, I thought The Happening was awesome.