Gameplay Mechanics...What Do You Think?

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Gameplay Mechanics...What Do You Think?

Post by YoungDyne »

I know at this point it's all just speculation and all that, but what's your opinon on how the graphics engine should be? Or P.O.V.? Will it be the same 2-D over-head third person style, or would it be better for purposes of the DS technology, not to mention the demand for today's game developers to always be "new, innovative" and all that (sometimes I really miss those old-school Paperboys, Gun Smoke, etc.) if the game went through a more dramatic make-over? I'm very curious as to how their going to utilize the touching technology of the DS. I hope it's a key feature in game play, other than using the other screen for something like invetory.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

My guess:

Essentially 2D. They might make some use of 3D or prerendered characters, but you're looking at a handheld and there's only so much depth you can portray in it. I doubt we'll see fully 3D environments with controllable camera angles just because so much of the effect is lost on the small screen.

Most likely third person POV. Most RPGs are. The Megaten series is the only one that's ever made common use of first person dungeons (though interestingly enough the latest installment, Nocturne, drops that) and the last completely first person RPG I can remember is Shining the Holy Ark.

They will probably have some limited touch screen ability since that's a selling point of the DS and developers are encouraged to make use of it, but it will probably be limited since a lot of developers haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet.

What I think would be fun, though I doubt the game would incorporate it, would be requiring the player to use the mic since the DS comes with a microphone. Since Lunar often involves singing, the player should be made to sing along. ^_^ (Or at least pretend to sing along.)
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

wisequark
Decrepit Old Dragon

Post by wisequark »

If I tried to sing along my DS would shatter into a hundred billion pieces :-P

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

>.> I just wanna touch Ghaleon...

*cough cough*
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Hey, I think the singing thing would be a good idea. Almost makes you wish Lunar: Legend came out for DS...wouldn't you like to sing with Alex and Luna at the springs in Burg? XD

I kind of hope They change the P.O.V...I mean, I think it should remain third person, but something like over the shoulder might be nice, like running around in SM64DS, or maybe something a little 3D like Xenogears. I'll bet you could pull that off with a DS. I know DS is capable of atleast some voices, and they'll probably have videos on it...hell, they do for GBA. I saw my little brother playing Kingdom Hearts...very impressive. As for how touching is used?...hmm...maybe it'll have a new battle system created for this, maybe they'll have you run around like mario, or maybe hit enemies...like a giant boss with multiple heads, maybe it isn't a RPG anymore. Or maybe nothing in the game will have it, but they'll have a few mini-games included for touching.

wisequark
Decrepit Old Dragon

Post by wisequark »

Personally I'd be saddened to see the series go 3d. Lunar has a unique feel to it because of its 2d roots - in a time when all other RPGs were heading the way of the 3d realm Lunar remained planted in a 2d era. Suikoden went 3d and it lost its charm for the most part - players who were used to the 2 dimensioned navigation system quickly found themselves lost in vast wastelands of nothingness searching hopelessly for an exit. The same can be said of final fantasy though the way seven inspired shock and awe amongst those who played it can be arguably the turning point in the fate of american RPGs (which were no way near as abundant or popular before its release).

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

I see what you mean, but I guess my point is that I'd like to see the P.O.V. changed...not so much the graphics, though a sense of atmosphere for the things around "you" would be nice, as opposed to being enclosed in that small square of space you have in the others. I have to admit that the way it is was fine the first time a lunar game came out...but by now (even though it's only been a bunch of remakes) I've gotten a little sick of it. But as long as the sprites stay something like the ones in Lunar: Legend (I rather liked those!) it'll be pretty cool.

You can still pull off the whole atmosphere thing with 2D graphics, and a DS can make 2D look much better than 3D (I played sword of mana, great stuff) and both 2D and 3D are awesome...just please change the P.O.V. ;_ ;

And they should add some puzzles, like the stuff in Wild Arms games...something different from "Hiro attack, Lemina fireball, Ronfar heal, rinse, repeat."

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Long live 2D graphics!!!!

Yeah....Jenn has it right. I was to TOUCH Ghaleon. >.> I mean it says we can do that right?

wisequark
Decrepit Old Dragon

Post by wisequark »

ugh, I hated wild arms after the first one...the story got way to repetitive. Som of the puzzle aspects were alright but the series suffered from overuse of it. You couldn't get through a single point in the story without having to solve one and they became quite repetitive

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If I were god (which I should be), this is how I'd design the gameplay.
When walking around in towns and on the world map, the party would be on the top screen, and menus would be on the touch screen.
When in a battle, the party would be on the touch screen. Then you could use the touching to move the characters around, target enemy zone spells, etc.

Sound good?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

If it was interactive with the original Lunar battle system (not the lunar Legend one), I'd say, yeah, that'd be great. But I also think they should keep the option of using the normal gamepad as some people don't like the touch screen as much.
-G1

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Well, quark, wildarms was the only game I could think of that related with RPG puzzles ^^;; And the story and puzzles in Wild Arms 3 weren't that bad...they just weren't that great. Kind of generic, but it kept me entertained for a while...until I traded it in for store credit.

Your idea is okay Mr.Guitar, but an invetory to use during battle would be a lot more useful than one on the world map...couldn't do much with your recover items and such while walking around town, you know? Though, the idea of touching characters during battle is cool...like, maybe whenever you cast a spell you have to draw a magic design and if you did it right than the spell would be cast. The faster you draw it and more perfect the shape is the more power is added to the spell.

Okay, so I think I stole that spell idea from a DS game that'll be coming out (even though I can't remember what it is...I probably saw it in the summary for games on the-magicbox.com)...but it'd still be pretty cool.

They could do that G1, but personally I'd like to see something original if they're going to go all the way and put it on a DS, instead of a new GBA game.

Whatever it is, I just hope they don't try to pull off some "card battle" thing -_-

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

YoungDyne wrote: Though, the idea of touching characters during battle is cool...like, maybe whenever you cast a spell you have to draw a magic design and if you did it right than the spell would be cast. The faster you draw it and more perfect the shape is the more power is added to the spell.

That would be sooo cool! I love that idea. Because you would get better at casting them the more you played the game so it makes sense.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

They could have the menus on the top of the touch screen at the start of each round of battle, the way the menus appeared on the old Lunar games. You touch your commands, touch which enemies you want to attack, and watch 'em go.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

They could have the menus on the top of the touch screen at the start of each round of battle, the way the menus appeared on the old Lunar games. You touch your commands, touch which enemies you want to attack, and watch 'em go.

Yeah, that's cool...I don't really want them to totally revamp the game, though I'd like to see them add one or two interesting features to make it different from other games, not considering the story.

...Atleast, I assume the story will be something unique. I swear, if it comes out to be the most generic game I've ever played...

Also, there's still your idea about using the touch screen for an invetory on the world map or town. I think there could better uses for the touch screen when out of battle...what specifically? I'll think about it and post my opinion :D

That would be sooo cool! I love that idea. Because you would get better at casting them the more you played the game so it makes sense.

Heh, actually I'm starting to really like the idea myself. As long as there are a lot of seals to draw, and not just one or two. But between this, what people say here, and "Help raise Vheen by rubbing the touch screen up and down!" I think we have a pretty good DS game on our hands ;o

I was to TOUCH Ghaleon.

This part confuses me ;_ ; Did you mean you want to touch him? If so...the caps of TOUCH lead me to believe you're poking him real hard, while at the same time he flinches and repeats "Damnit, knock it off!"...either that or you've implied it to be pervertive >_>

And...how do people here get it to say "So-and-so wrote..." when quoting someone?
Last edited by YoungDyne on Mon May 02, 2005 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dingle
Pao Hunter

Post by Dingle »

Poor Ghaleon.

I, too, am eager to see how the touch screen will be used in this game. The lot of these ideas sound really cool, especially the sing-along one.
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Pogi
Pao Hunter

Post by Pogi »

Hope every one has sound proof door.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

YoungDyne wrote:This part confuses me ;_ ; Did you mean you want to touch him? If so...the caps of TOUCH lead me to believe you're poking him real hard, while at the same time he flinches and repeats "Damnit, knock it off!"...either that or you've implied it to be pervertive >_>

And...how do people here get it to say "So-and-so wrote..." when quoting someone?

Yes, I want to touch him. I want to touch him in all sorts of ways. ;) Mwhaha

Oh, and the answer to your second question. We're magical!
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Dingle
Pao Hunter

Post by Dingle »

Pogi wrote:Hope every one has sound proof door.

Oh, I can sing, definitely.

Singing well is what I have trouble with.
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Yes, I want to touch him. I want to touch him in all sorts of ways. :wink: Mwhaha

I knew it! I thought it might be rude of me to imply it, but now that I'm right...you're sick! XD

Oh, and the answer to your second question. We're magical!

Come on, I'm serious! I need help with this...