The Karate Kid

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Karate Kid

Post by phyco126 »

So, anyone see the previews for it? It looks interesting. Only problem I have is that it isn't Karate, but Kung Fu.

The preview makes me wish I was wisped away by some old wise man to a peaceful temple and trained.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: The Karate Kid

Post by Kizyr »

Pat Morita is dead. There is no more Karate Kid.
This movie is A LIE. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote:Pat Morita is dead. There is no more Karate Kid.
This movie is A LIE. KF
Is Shia LaBeouf playing the role of Mr. Miyagi in this movie?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Jackie Chan plays the role of Mr. Miyagi. While the original movie was indeed a classic, I feel that this one is enough of a remake that it qualifies as, basically, a whole new Karate Kid all in of itself.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

The original Karate Kid is one of my favorite films of all time, but this remake doesn't look so good to me. I especially don't like how the main character is a lot younger.
Last edited by brightshield on Sun May 30, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

China Karate Kid?

I liked the look of it, obvious terminology issues aside. It was a little disconcerting to discover that I actually want to see it.
「まあいいけど。」

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, like I probably said before, I'm going to see the movie but I'm purposefully going to replace the name as Kung Fu Kid, as well as put this as a sequel rather than a remake.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I actually rather like Jackie Chan... that's the only thing that might draw me into it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Jackie Chan and Jet Li are epic. :)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Do. Not. Want.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

phyco126 wrote:Well, like I probably said before, I'm going to see the movie but I'm purposefully going to replace the name as Kung Fu Kid, as well as put this as a sequel rather than a remake.
I actually am really looking forward to this movie. As a personal preference, I like kung fu better than karate. After I watched the previews I said the same thing "shouldn't this be called kung fu kid??" But hey, they wouldn't get nearly as many viewers if they weren't remaking an older movie. Oh, and Jackie Chan says he thinks it will be called "kung fu kid" in the release over in Asia. Source: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/07/ja ... rane-kick/

Also, there is some controversy surrounding this movie since the star is Will Smith's son, and Will Smith is one of the producers. There are some people boycotting the movie because they feel the casting was inappropriate and Will Smith is just trying to get some fame/money for his son. If you ask me though, I'd say hey that's hollywood ;)

JeansPast
Lann Fisherman

Post by JeansPast »

I honestly can't wait to see this. Ya ya ya, it's supposed to be Kung Fu and all that jazz, but in all honesty, the original movie was hardly "karate" in itself. *Goes and stands in crane position* This move can kick anyone's ass!
I am the funeral dancer on the outer wave

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

JeansPast wrote:Ya ya ya, it's supposed to be Kung Fu and all that jazz, but in all honesty, the original movie was hardly "karate" in itself.
Actually, the "white crane" is a part of Karate. No, it's not something that is popularized by today's dumbed-down karate studios that can be found off of almost every exit off of every major highway in the United States. However, in karate's early years it was referred to as "Te" meaning "hand." It later became "karate" meaning "empty hand." Te was refined by the Okinawan people from their original teachers: the Buddhist and the Taoist pilgrims from China. Source: http://www.martialarts.org/styles/japanese02.html
Source wrote:The martial arts of the Okinawa Islands dates back to the 7th century. Chinese martial arts were introduced to Okinawa through Chinese Taoist and Buddhist monks late in this century.
It was the influence from the Shaolin Kung Fu animal styles that is seen in the various early forms of Te. Fujian White Crane in particular was the animal style that influenced Naha-te. Source: http://www.mardb.com/naha-te/
Source wrote:Naha-te was primarily based on the Fujian White Crane systems of Southern China
So there you have it. The influences you saw in the original Karate Kid movie, while they weren't much like modernized American Karate; they were actually very true to Karate's early forms/roots. But hey, with a bad ass teacher like Mr. Miyagi, you should expect no less! :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Actually, the "white crane" is a part of Karate. No, it's not something that is popularized by today's dumbed-down karate studios that can be found off of almost every exit off of every major highway in the United States.
This is discouraging. Where would I go if I wanted to do smarted-up karate? Should I just use the ears-and-eyes-open method, the review scour?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Sonic# wrote:This is discouraging. Where would I go if I wanted to do smarted-up karate? Should I just use the ears-and-eyes-open method, the review scour?
Not sure I fully understand your post, but I agree that it is discouraging. I have spent nearly four years just trying to find a decent martial arts school in Georgia. What I am against is the "black belt mills." These are the schools that will just take anyone and give anyone a black belt as long as they pay enough money. I say dumbed-down because Americanized martial arts today (especially MMA) forgets that martial arts is an art. It is a philosophy and a way of life. It's not some "lets get in shape and learn self defense" that it is advertised as. The Taoist and Buddhist monks understood the importance of balancing inner strength with outer strength (their yin with their yang). Unfortunately, martial arts in the United States has forgotten that inner aspect (although here in the south I've seen plenty try and "Christianize" it).

Sorry /rant off :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Shin Otaku III wrote:
Sonic# wrote:This is discouraging. Where would I go if I wanted to do smarted-up karate? Should I just use the ears-and-eyes-open method, the review scour?
Not sure I fully understand your post, but I agree that it is discouraging. I have spent nearly four years just trying to find a decent martial arts school in Georgia. What I am against is the "black belt mills." These are the schools that will just take anyone and give anyone a black belt as long as they pay enough money. I say dumbed-down because Americanized martial arts today (especially MMA) forgets that martial arts is an art. It is a philosophy and a way of life. It's not some "lets get in shape and learn self defense" that it is advertised as. The Taoist and Buddhist monks understood the importance of balancing inner strength with outer strength (their yin with their yang). Unfortunately, martial arts in the United States has forgotten that inner aspect (although here in the south I've seen plenty try and "Christianize" it).

Sorry /rant off :)
I meant exactly what you said - karate that preserves the focus on inner well-being as well as outer form. I don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon, but I'm in the US South too, and see a lot of schools that make me raise my eyebrows. So I was curious.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I dunno about you guys, but I prefer to stick with Wind Karate. I haven't lost a battle yet. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Kizyr wrote:I dunno about you guys, but I prefer to stick with Wind Karate. I haven't lost a battle yet. KF
This made me think of Avatar!! :3 Bagua Zhang! :DDD