GRANDIA PSOne Classic to be released on PSN tomorrow.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: GRANDIA PSOne Classic to be released on PSN tomorrow.

Post by ShindoW »

Since I only started Grandia on the PSX, I might get this later down the road.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I'm downloading my copy now.

I love psx games on psp because I can play them on my commute, then when I get home I can connect and play them on tv with the composite cable.

There are a few snags though... games that use both sets of shoulder buttons usually need re-mapping using the thumbstick which can get awkward, and I have to play with a cryptic setting on my tv remote labeled "pix" to get it full screen with the right aspect ratio, but all in all I think it's pretty cool that the device is actually a portable playstation.

And I'm sure Sony likes the fact that I repurchase games I own for the price of a download's bandwidth.

Edit: It's 851MB if anyone was curious.

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

I found the Saturn import on Ebay for $5 and bought it. Having a stack of Japanese RPGs I can't understand much of gives me incentive to study. :P

Alan_Geitz
Lyton Singer

Post by Alan_Geitz »

Woohoo! I've been wanting to play this game for a long time!
Well, that and Thousand Arms. And Xenogears.
Still waiting on those games...
Yep.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

localflick wrote:I'm downloading my copy now.

I love psx games on psp because I can play them on my commute, then when I get home I can connect and play them on tv with the composite cable.

There are a few snags though... games that use both sets of shoulder buttons usually need re-mapping using the thumbstick which can get awkward, and I have to play with a cryptic setting on my tv remote labeled "pix" to get it full screen with the right aspect ratio, but all in all I think it's pretty cool that the device is actually a portable playstation.

And I'm sure Sony likes the fact that I repurchase games I own for the price of a download's bandwidth.

Edit: It's 851MB if anyone was curious.
I could only imagine it makes the game look sharper being on a small screen. Your tv settings do sound odd, but at least you can manage. If you downloaded it onto a PS3 (if you have one) you could upscale the image to Full Screen or leave it at 4:3 aspect ratio through the Game Settings on the XMB screen.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Can anyone tell me how it plays on the PSP? The PSX version had some bad slowdown, and PSX games always seem to have little bouts of slowdown as is. FFVII in particular. That game is slowdowntastic on the PSP.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

As far as I know the games are basically emulation, so unless there is a game made directly for PSN you may have hiccups in the transition. Problems with freezing or slow-down can be fixed during programming, but that would take more effort and you know how that goes.

Even Grandia on Saturn had hiccups, like during a spell animation the screen would literally freeze and then finish with the spell animation or the music would cut out near the end of a battle and all you would hear were the voices and sound effects.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Grandia has always been on my to-try list, so maybe this'll give me an excuse to run it.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It is a fantastic game, but the localization may annoy you a little with some bad voice acting from some characters.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Really? The acting is that bad sometimes? I find that hard to believe...
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Jasonb12 wrote:Really? The acting is that bad sometimes? I find that hard to believe...
The main character is the worst, really. The rest are at least ok, and some are actually pretty good. I thought Sue's VA in particular did a great job.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I just wonder if I should buy the PSN version or track down the physical copy... What do you guys think would be the best thing?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Do you want to own a physical copy or have it a download? You can't have it on both PS3 and PSP if you buy the disc though.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Part of me wants to own a physical copy, really. But is it better for me to download it from the store? I heard that the real game doesn't work too well on certain firmware. When it comes to these games, I like having a physical copy so I can switch between running it on my PS1 and PSP using the same file.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Jasonb12 wrote:When it comes to these games, I like having a physical copy so I can switch between running it on my PS1 and PSP using the same file.
I assume you can do this if you have the BC PS3 and the memory card converter thing? Thats kinda cool.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

No. I have the Dex Drive for my PC and it helps as I run through my games on my PSP and PS1. Do the PSN games use the same file format as PopStation?

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

I'm going to pick this up, but not right away. I had been thinking about scouring the net for a copy also. I played Grandia II, but it was quite a long time ago. I'll probably play through both again.
† Final Night †

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Jasonb12 wrote:No. I have the Dex Drive for my PC and it helps as I run through my games on my PSP and PS1. Do the PSN games use the same file format as PopStation?
The emulator is the same, and I've converted games that weren't available, then purchased them once they were available on psn. Some of the saves worked and some didn't. I think if you converted the psx game using the correct ID it'll work. It's running on the same emulator so it makes sense that it would work. I don't know why only some of mine worked though.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Thanks for letting me know. Then in that case, I should be able to back it up like I've done my other PS1 games. =)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Jasonb12 wrote:Thanks for letting me know. Then in that case, I should be able to back it up like I've done my other PS1 games. =)
Yeah, I used to go back and forth between my laptop and psx using a save converter and dex drive. It was pretty convenient. As far as psp games go though, I haven't found a converter that can convert saves to the psp format, or even if one exists. I just thought it was cool that Symphony of the Night was able to pick up the save from my popstation copy. Again, it's tha same emulator, I just didn't expect it.

And thanks to Grandia I don't know what to play on my psp now... I go back and forth between Grandia and Lunar constantly.

On a somewhat related note, Grandia 2 would probably make a great psp port. The graphics and scope are pretty much on par for a psp game. It fit on a dreamcast disc so it should be able to fit on a umd. Maybe that'll happen someday...