Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

Post by WD RPG WD »

http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.com/us/

Anyone else as cautiously optimistic as I am? SEGA seems to be a little better recently with Sonic.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

WD RPG WD wrote:http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.com/us/

Anyone else as cautiously optimistic as I am? SEGA seems to be a little better recently with Sonic.
I am actually quite optimistic! Why? It was recently leaked that DIMPS is developing Sonic 4. The DIMPS Sonic games (Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush series) are better than anything Sonic Team has put out in the last 10 years, with the happy exception of the surprisingly excellent Billy Hatcher.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I've been hurt too many times before by Sonic. I can never trust blue-furred hedgehogs ever again.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well this is purely no frills Sonic, with the essence of the first Sonic the Hedgehog save for a couple tricks. I still think it's a poor choice to discard series staples like Tails and Knuckles, but as long as the gameplay and level design is top notch than many people will be happy. I'm not a fan of the episodic release, and would prefer a disc copy with everything. This is a way for them to save mony on production, and who knows what might end up appearing in later episodes.

It's still in the Alpha stages so they haven't ironed out all the kinks, but I'm hoping for a little more creativity in design than just upgrading the textures/bitmaps to give it an HD look.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

They need to do alot more than give me a crappy run animation and some old corkscrew footage. I've been burned by the little blue guy so often these days that not even a return to his old medium could make me happy I don't think. The magic is gone out of Sonic Team if you ask me. There's nothing now, that they could do to please me or the rest of the fans short of retconing everything back to the way it used to be back in the early 90s and bringing SatAM back. Now THAT would be cool.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Well DIMPS is a pretty good company to do Sonic. Sonic Rush was pretty good. Also, the level design is being done by the level designer of Sonic 3 & Knuckles which is the main reason for my optimism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZMZ3-pXhc

Here is some actual game footage. The person playing it has no clue how to play a sonic game but it still looks pretty good.

lost_f0n_drive
Lostest Boy

Post by lost_f0n_drive »

I'm also optimistic because it looks good so far and I will probably buy it eventually.

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

I'm very much looking forward to it. I liked the side-scrollers and the Sonic Adventure games, so this one seem pretty appealing. There was a picture up on segabits that showed a boss fight against Robotnic with him swinging a checkered ball like the first fight in the original game. Since Sega made them take it down, it was most likely real.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Personally, I hope this steers Sonic in the right direction. To me, this is Sega/Sonic Team's last chance to get it right, honestly. As of this moment, the fanbase is griping and complaining about not having Classic Sonic in the game, as well as the Homing Attack and some old ideas being reused.

In any case, can't wait to play it!
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Cautiously optimistic.
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I know I'm about a year late for this, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Sonic 4. There are some frustrating level designs, but this is something that early Sonic games have as well. Inherent in Sonic is a difficult problem, balancing speed with platforming. Sonic 4 does this best since the early games.

Oh, and for the negatives, sometimes it did feel too much like a Sonic 2 rehash, and the bosses are way too easy and inferior copies of Sonic 2 bosses.