jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: This Game Can Kiss My Ass.

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Hmm, tastes a little lame in here...

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

-I thought Ghaleon's second form was awesome. (And terrifying)

-Luna should have stayed behind. You have to leave behind your true love to go on a journey. It sucks, but that left all the more impact.

I was okay with Royce and Phacia, but it mostly seemed like more obvious betrayals waiting to happen.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Silver Phoenix wrote:
Oh, and for whatever reason I want to change the name of this thread topic to...

This Ass Can Kiss My Game
I dunno, donkey slobber can be harmful to games...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Ghaleon's Magic Emperor Form was much cooler and "vile" in TSS, especially when he gargled milk and transformed into Magic Emperor Megazord. That, and the awesome battle music of course.

I think we should start a poll to see how many people haven't heard the music in TSS, and then I will slap each and every one of you with my disco stick. I think Lady Gaga should dress up as Ghaleon.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I think Lady Gaga should dress up as Ghaleon.
If you could ask her, I think she just might do it.

I also liked Ghaleon's second form. I didn't see it coming. So when it happened I was shocked and afraid that 2 hours or so of playing was about to be lost because I was going to lose to Ghaleon's second form. It never really felt like a hat trick to me.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think the first time I fought him I either died, or just barely made it with Alex left alive and pretty much all of my items used. I went into the battle ill prepared. I think TSS was a much harder game compared to SSSC, especially if you were underleveled.

I hated Grizmol/Grimzol's Cave every time I played it.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I hated Grizmol/Grimzol's Cave every time I played it.
"HERE COMES THE INCA GOD! WATCH OUT!" :roll:
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I hope you're not rolling your eyes at me for no reason. I was more annoyed by those giant meatball faces than the actual boss.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

She's probably rolling her eyes at how Grimzol (called Grissel by at least one NPC) became the Inca God. None of which bear any resemblance to the Japanese name, Karal.

I generally thought of that cave and the one just after it, the Dark Cave (leading to the Frontier) as the two hardest and creepiest. There was something about the monsters in them that really gave the feeling of danger and fear you wouldn't make it. In the case of the former, at least, it was at least partly that Alex was the only healer in the party and that those meatball heads, as you so aptly describe them, have four painful attacks apiece. Though they had no moves at all, so it was generally only Alex and Kyle that got smacked around by them. Another reason was that the first time or two or three that I played I didn't realize that Wind Essence teleported the party out of a dungeon, so I always felt I really might not make it out.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Didn't the meatball heads have status attacks? I dreaded coming across them. Also, did they ever even settle on a name for Grizmol/Grimzol in TSS? It seemed to always be either/or. I don't know why they came up with that name in the first place. I guess the same could be said with Fidy becoming Quark. I think they're both weird names anyway.

Zophar was Zone Pharaoh in the Japanese EB right? I actually like Zophar better. His real name should have been Tranny Funfest though.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I hope you're not rolling your eyes at me for no reason. I was more annoyed by those giant meatball faces than the actual boss.
It wasn't my intention to offend you. Just jumping on the bandwagon about having issues with that part of the game, though for different reasons, it seems. I think the Pao events are thematically scattershot because of shortfalls in localization and relevance to the overall plot.

The TSS J to E list describes how originally the demon causing the Pao curse wasn't named by NPCs and the boss was named Karal. WD called the demon both Grissel and Grimzol at various points and renamed the boss to a real world reference, all of which is various shades of annoying and confusing. And the whole episode is a fetch quest in the first place, tossing in new characters to keep things from getting tedious. I was a lot happier with the way SSS grounded the Pao events into the overall plot, even if it's hard to justify having Ghaleon and Luna show up.

Zophar in the Japanese version is Zophar, the Zone Pharaoh thing comes from Lunar 1 & 2 artbook. It seems to suggest that the name Zophar is a contraction.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I wasn't sure, that's why I made a comment. I guess I just wasn't expecting that response even though you had provided a quote. The different names is confusing, and frankly stupid. Did they just call it "The Inca God" in SSS? I haven't played in years so I'm lacking specifics.

I have the artbook so that's probably why I assumed Zophar was Zone Pharaoh in Japan. I still hate how he looks in the remake compared to the original EB, especially when he becomes bonehead. Lame and WTF?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There is no equivalent to that boss in SSS, and no cave. Instead, it's the Black Dragon keep that Tempest and the guys storm, and the boss is of course the Black Dragon.

I never minded the Grimzol name; it seemed to work for me. Inca God was just a bit weird, but descriptive enough. It was probably a couple of playthroughs before I caught the Grissel/Grimzol thing. I thought the section as a whole made at least some story sense as part of how Ghaleon kept the Frontier isolated by not only drying up the transmission spring but keeping the Prairie Tribe from replenishing it by weakening them with illness. The part that didn't quite make sense was how Xenobia was able to invoke the plague that Grimzol had caused long ago while the Goddess Seal was still in place. That didn't bother me nearly as much as Tamur having been prosperous as the gateway to the Prairie before the plague when the Prairie is so low in population -- seems like there should have been at least one more town there.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It shows you how long it's been since I played SSS that I forgot that cave had been omitted completely. I remember the Black Dragon's Keep though.

I honestly only ever played SSS once, yet I played EBC a couple times starting with my Saturn import. I think SSS was just a disappointment to me because of how drastically the game changed and it took away most of the things I loved in TSS including the entire essence of the game (hello music).

SSS felt more like a blatant love story, whereas in TSS Alex really wants to become a hero and realizes his love for Luna in the process. It still pisses me off about how much impact they took away from the story in both TSS and EB (to a lesser extent) when they made the remakes.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

WD RPG WD wrote:
Jenner wrote:
Kizyr wrote: Oh she's never satisfied... KF
Oh you can satisfy me baby. If you could last longer than three minutes.

Hey! Thats MY man you're messin' with. And he can most definately last longer than 3 minutes! Unless we are playing Mean Bean machine, that is, in which he ussually only lasts 30 seconds before I lay the hammer down. :x
Back off you dirty home-wrecker! I saw him first!

Alun I liked the voice acting. In fact, I think Lunar the first, if not ONE of the first, RPGs to ever have Voice Acting. I'd like to keep it.

Additionally, I like your suggestions, I'm in line with most of them though I did not like Luna using pots and pans... it made the feminist in me squirm a bit...

.. I'd like to keep the explorable world from TSS and go back to random encounters...
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I am now determined to reget an emulator and download TSS. I only got to Meribia in my farthest file-- I liked how dark that game was. I think its also the reason I like EBC/EB more compared to SSSC.

This new bad guy sounds like crap... Why would you diminish Ghaleon's role? Might as well have him turn into some kinda reincarnation of Aeifurun while youre ruining the plot. So far the only thing I disliked about SSH was the sprites, now Im worried about the plot... However, Im still excited for having a portable version of this game. When I want a console one, I'll pick up SSSC.

Having not finished TSS, what are the differences between, let's say Pao to the Grindery's halt? I know thats where most of the major changes took place.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Oh jeeze... that could take a little while to explain, and I don't have that time right now. I will tell you that TSS is just about always being sold on eBay, so I'm sure you meant to say you were going to buy it, not download it.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

ShindoW wrote:This new bad guy sounds like crap... Why would you diminish Ghaleon's role? Might as well have him turn into some kinda reincarnation of Aeifurun while youre ruining the plot. So far the only thing I disliked about SSH was the sprites, now Im worried about the plot... However, Im still excited for having a portable version of this game. When I want a console one, I'll pick up SSSC.
You played SSSC first, right? You're practically HSS's target audience; no worries there. Unless you're worried about where Xseed decides to place their jokes. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking about starting a thread titled "TSS is the Awesomest Game in the Series".
「まあいいけど。」

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Shiva Indis wrote:
ShindoW wrote:This new bad guy sounds like crap... Why would you diminish Ghaleon's role? Might as well have him turn into some kinda reincarnation of Aeifurun while youre ruining the plot. So far the only thing I disliked about SSH was the sprites, now Im worried about the plot... However, Im still excited for having a portable version of this game. When I want a console one, I'll pick up SSSC.
You played SSSC first, right? You're practically HSS's target audience; no worries there. Unless you're worried about where Xseed decides to place their jokes. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking about starting a thread titled "TSS is the Awesomest Game in the Series".

I would participate in such a thread. Though TSS is only the awesomest version of Alex's story. Eternal Blue is the superior game.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Alunissage wrote:Oh jeeze... that could take a little while to explain, and I don't have that time right now. I will tell you that TSS is just about always being sold on eBay, so I'm sure you meant to say you were going to buy it, not download it.
I figured as much. I can just research it myself eventually. ^^

And oh my Goddess I just read what I typed-- I meant download the emulator, not the game. Unless the game is in the too-many-$$ range (Panzar Dragoon Saga, Terranigma) I wouldn't even consider it (and Saturn ROMs are impossible to find anyway-- also, Im determined to own the WD games, its no fun pirating them if there's no pretty packaging and funny manuals right? lol). >< Sorry for the misunderstanding.