Advertisements I really can't stand...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Advertisements I really can't stand...

Post by Kizyr »

Most ads don't really get my interest, but then there're those few product placements that go beyond that well into piss-me-off territory. Anyone else have a few of those?

The main culprit that comes to mind right now are those damn Evony ads. "Large-breasted women! Free strategy game! Large-breasted women! Play online! Oh, did we mention large-breasted women!? And elf women!? It's like Civilization with more breasts!"

Ugh... I would actually consider playing it if it didn't look so damned stupid from the ads.

Oh and don't even get me started on the Enzyte commercials. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Re: Advertisements I really can't stand...

Post by Jenner »

Here we get those commercials that they just play OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

For awhile it was Enzyte, and then it was some commercial for some pharmaceutical constipation relief.

I couldn't watch 15 minutes of show without seeing 3-5 of the latter. It was a largely harmless commercial until they saturated the market. I hope that company fired their marketing guy.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

For me personally, Empire Carpet and Stanley Steamer, especially the one with the little kid saying repeatedly, "It's boo-de-ful". Oh, any and all diaper commercials. The discovery channel's habit of pimping their shows repeatedly in one hour on their channel. I think that about covers it.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Any online ad, period.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

BattleMedic
Student of Vane

Post by BattleMedic »

Girls Gone Wild ads, there is no need for playing +30 second-long ads back to back
To have no fear, you must know fear.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

The HughesNet commercials come to mind. They're just long and annoying. :/
Also any weight loss/exercise equipment commercials. Far too many of them these days.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

BattleMedic wrote:Girls Gone Wild ads, there is no need for playing +30 second-long ads back to back
Oh man, I forgot about those. And then there're the 30-minute Girls Gone Wild infomercials at 4-5 in the morning.
LuNaRtIc wrote:Also any weight loss/exercise equipment commercials. Far too many of them these days.
Anything with stock setups of women in tight outfits exercising in the background, to me, spells a lousy product. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The worst ads are the ones that they show at movies since you're paying 10 dollars already to see the film.

The worst part about commercials is that there's always one that my parents think is hilarious and talk about every time I see them (example, Geico cavemen).

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kiz wrote:Anything with stock setups of women in tight outfits exercising in the background, to me, spells a lousy product.
I'd say that the most obvious indicator of a lousy product is when they throw in lots of unrelated crap with an already cheap mail-in offer. You know exactly what I'm talking about. "You would expect to pay $50 for this top quality ginsu knife, right? But for two easy payments of $9.99 you get two. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. Act now and you'll also get a pocket flashlight, a chia pet, a trip to Cancun, and my eldest daughter!"

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

The one commercial I can think of that really grinds my gears is on the radio. It's a commercial for Chevron where they explain how they're California's oldest company and say how they went out west to find oil but instead found "Smart, inquisitive people". Every time I hear it I turn my radio off...I hate that add so much. It's so smug and fake.

Kizyr wrote:The main culprit that comes to mind right now are those damn Evony ads. "Large-breasted women! Free strategy game! Large-breasted women! Play online! Oh, did we mention large-breasted women!? And elf women!? It's like Civilization with more breasts!"
:) I like those ads.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

My favorite part of those Evony ads is that some of them advertise the fact that you can play the game discreetly at work. It better be discreet. I'm embarrassed to even see those ads when I'm in public: I can't even how embarrassing it would be if someone saw me playing that game.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

My work requires me to spend a lot of time using Mapquest, which has been running video ads for this movie - Couples Retreat. There's something really unsettling about watching those actors and actresses taking off their shirts over and over while you're staring at a website that you'd rather not be using. Supposing I had any interest in seeing that movie before, (which I didn't) now I wouldn't watch it if they paid me.

At least the poor critical response it's gotten means that I won't have to deal with it any more. Yay!
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Aaron wrote:The one commercial I can think of that really grinds my gears is on the radio. It's a commercial for Chevron where they explain how they're California's oldest company and say how they went out west to find oil but instead found "Smart, inquisitive people". Every time I hear it I turn my radio off...I hate that add so much. It's so smug and fake.
You don't think there are smart, inquisitive people out west?
:) I like those ads.
No doubt you're their target audience. Too bad they don't seem to want any other type.

I dislike just about any commercial I see. I don't watch TV, so my tuning-out resistance is low and so when I do go somewhere which has TV (a relative's house, say) I find it very difficult to ignore the commercials. And mostly they make me sick and bitter at what they show of mindsets, covert or overt. The sexism is appalling. It is, of course, particularly bad on any channel which is assumed to have a predominantly male audience; I know I needn't elaborate on its nature. It's the video version of spam.

I encounter radio ads slightly more often because I listen to news radio when I drive. There have been some I got so sick of that I turned off the radio while they were on, but mercifully I've mostly forgotten them. Political ads which take the form of a husband and wife (or other pair of peers) talking and one of them "enlightening" the other on the nature of such and such legislation make me cringe with their one-sidedness and artificiality. For nonpolitical ads, I remember getting particularly irritated with one for eyeglasses, of all things: two female coworkers planning on going out with some other people that evening and one says to the other, "You're not going to wear your work glasses, are you?" in tones of extreme disapproval. It just enraged me that the already ridiculous demands of dress code for women were being extended to include wearing the appropriate corrective eyewear for the occasion. Grr.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Alunissage wrote:You don't think there are smart, inquisitive people out west?
Well since I am a smart, inquisitive person I would have to say no...

But what I am getting at is that Chevron didn't come out to California for people. They did it for profit. (BTW California still has large untapped reserves of oil). And conning people into thinking that a company cares and believes how smart you are is fiendish. Especially when oil companies are making money hand over fist.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

I would go with any commercial for a car dealership that is accompanied by a theme song.....which includes most I suppose.

I especially despise the song "That's what makes a Subaru a Subaru"

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Although I guess that last song I mentioned is a song for a manufacturer as opposed to a dealership. Still annoying!

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Quark wrote:I would go with any commercial for a car dealership that is accompanied by a theme song.....which includes most I suppose.

I especially despise the song "That's what makes a Subaru a Subaru"
I'm quite fond of the Da da da VW commercial... at least I think it was a VW commercial.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytKJOhyyrA

Link might get taken down for copyright issues. It's the finallyfast.com commercial. Hands down, worst thing I've ever seen in my life. They actually run this crap on G4.. -_-;;

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Shin Otaku's post just made me realize: no one's mentioned Free Credit Report dot Com yet.

Besides those songs being ridiculously irritating (seriously, the guy in those commercials sings like a sick bird) the entire thing is a scam. The kind that forces you to either pay a monthly fee or watch your credit rating suffer. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

The commercial is pretty insulting and annoying. The first person says "Can you say Free credit score.com 3 times fast?" then the rest of the commercial everyone just keep's trying to say it. Apparently the company dosn't think I'm smart enough to figure out that it's just a tactic to engrave the website on my brain. I mean, It's not exactly a tongue twister. :roll: