PSP - Lunarified!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

PSP - Lunarified!

Post by Greensky »

I just recently learned how to put wallpaper on my PSP home directory, so I figured I'd post a pic of one of the wallpapers I made for it, using a screenshot from this site :P

You'll have to excuse the poor, poor, poor lighting...

It's Meribia! :P

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

COOL! I wanna find a way to put a Lunar: TSS or EB rom on a PSP, cause there are SNES and NES ones out there......
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Yeah, it's only a matter of time :D Just don't download any official PSP updates if you can help it... then you're out of luck for using emulators and various other programs right now.

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

How did you do that? o.O

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Setting wallpaper is easy :P You just have to play around with a certain sized picture and filenames on the memory stick.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Greensky wrote:Yeah, it's only a matter of time :D Just don't download any official PSP updates if you can help it... then you're out of luck for using emulators and various other programs right now.

Why? Do the updates to the PSP actively disable various program? That's a real bummer if they do but it wouldn't surprise me.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The firmware updates close holes that the people making these homebrew programs use to get them to run. That's not very precise, but that's the gist.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Alunissage said it :P

I'll have to get a new Lunar backround up on my PSP... maybe a cutscene still this time.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Well, it's sad to see that Sony is determined to close the book on the real benefits of the memory card slot they have for their system. Since newer PSPs will probably have newer firmware installed on them I must say it's a real dent in what I'd have considered a very good selling point for the PSP.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Yeah that is sad... you actually have to mess with the files to get what should be an official function. Ahh well... we'll see... they will probably find a way eventually to bypass the firmware, haha :shock::shock::shock:

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

It's funny to see how different companies handle hackers messing with their stuff. A long time ago Doom was hacked by fans making their own levels, but instead of id software freaking out about it they embraced it and simply told people not to modify the shareware version of it. Because of that descision it became much more successful since there was a virtually unlimited source of extra levels online. Sony is throwing away what could potentially have been an incredible opportunity for them. Fans make cool things! Imagine if you could run Sega CD Lunar games (from iso files, mp3s, and a big memory stick) on your PSP. That would be enough for me to buy one! But you can't, so I won't. In the meantime I'll play my partially translated Lunar Walking School rom on my GBA and dream about what could've been...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

localflick wrote:Fans make cool things! Imagine if you could run Sega CD Lunar games (from iso files, mp3s, and a big memory stick) on your PSP.

You talk about fan-made products, then bring up a licensed product from Game Arts. The Sega CD Lunar games weren't fan-made; those aren't a good example. Running them off of your PSP via ISO or other files is the same as running them off your computer using an ISO. It's still piracy. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

That was kind of unclear... sorry

Post by localflick »

I was referring to fans making the emulators you run the stuff on. Fan made software for the PSP that developers would never put out would give it more functionality, and probably boost it's sales by quiet a bit.
But yeah, that's piracy, and it's wrong. But until they release the games commercially for the system in question I really don't see the harm. I'm getting a DS because there's a Lunar game for it. I got a GBA because Castlevania and Lunar games came out for it.
If there is no "killer app" on a system you won't buy it. Now, if you buy a system to play an emulated game you own on another system on it that isn't available otherwise, no one loses money, and the people that made the system sold another unit. I know someone who bought a PSP to play FF4 and Chrono Trigger on. He owns them both for SNES and PSX but wanted to play them on a portable system. I'm sure if they released them for PSP he'd pick them up.
BTW Kizyr, nice sig! Oregon Trail Rocks

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Yeah, I see no harm in downloading games that are no longer in production. Even Nintendo supports the download of past games now. When Revolution comes out, it will support all downloaded games from the net.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Source? Proof? I don't recall anything about Revolution supporting "all downloaded games from the net", just that there would be the possibility of downloading Nintendo games, probably for a fee (I think Iwata said that it wouldn't be free). That hardly sounds like "all the games from the net".

And discussion of playing Lunar roms is rather inapropos on the MB of the official Dragon Song site...even if they're no longer being produced, the series is clearly not dead and GA has a history of remakes.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

:shock: Oooh sorry. No more rom talk from me. But I am looking forward to the games for the Revolution. As with Animal Crossing, and the re-releases for GBA Nintendo does a very good job of keeping classics relevant.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I didn't hear anything about a fee for downloading, but yes, I meant Nintendo games of course. There's no way that Nintendo would allow Playstation/other console games to run on their new system :shock::P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

More like, Sony wouldn't be too pleased with PS games on a Nintendo machine. But yeah, I've heard conflicting reports on the downloads for the Revolution. Should be interesting to see how it goes. I'd be fine with them doing some kind of thing where you buy a Revolution game, you get a pass to download 5-10 old games. Something like that. Or by unlocking and beating stuff in Revolution you get to download a game. That would be the best kind of reward for playing games.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

What I meant by only Nintendo games was only first-party games. Not sure if that was speculation or whether it was actually confirmed, though.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

In a way Nintendo has done that in the past. Metroid Zero Mission has the original Metroid in it that's unlockable. And again, Animal Crossing had lots of classic games to unlock. So that seems to be the direction they are going in.

I still think it's funny that we buy these expensive cutting edge systems, but get hyped over playing games we miss from the 1980's. Kinda makes me want to just hook up my Nintendo and play them all over again. That's why I bought all three re-released Zelda games for advance too...