Indy 4

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kakoloukia
Iluk Crackpot
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Indy 4

Post by Kakoloukia »

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1100311/i ... 4_trailer/

Makes me think of what Hiro will be like about 40 years after EB.
Uwe Boll brainstorming for Lunar: Silver Star Movie

Rick Astley as Alex, casting White Dragon Protect.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Indy 4

Post by Kizyr »

All right!

This weekend!

Indy 4 and Dark Knight are the two movies I'm most looking forward to this summer. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I've got a full list of movies I want to see.

Indy 4
Dark Knight
Hancock
Chronicals of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Some movie about a girl on an island, that looks good
Iron Man
Dragonfly

A few more that are there.

Oh yeah, and Serenity. Again. For the 7th time. In a month.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

It was a fun flick, a bit off from the originals (being based on Biblical artifacts,instead of aliens), but Shia's charcter added a new, fun bonus to it all. Heh, heh, gotta love greasers.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

It was kinda a let down. If you go into the theater with no expectations you'll be fine, pretend its not an indiana jones movie and it will be even beter.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

LunarRaptor wrote:It was a fun flick, a bit off from the originals (being based on Biblical artifacts,instead of aliens), but Shia's charcter added a new, fun bonus to it all. Heh, heh, gotta love greasers.
Well, there were the river rocks from the Temple of Doom. So all of the artifacts are based on some religion or another... it's just that this one took a turn for the fantastical. Which I was a little perturbed by at first, until I remembered that the Ark was fantastical, as were stones that blazed with fire, and a grail that turns someone old instantly.

I enjoyed it even as an Indy movie. And this is coming from someone that watched the first three innumerable times in my childhood. I had expectations and they were pulled off. The first is still the best, but I like it about as much as The Last Crusade, I think.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:
LunarRaptor wrote:It was a fun flick, a bit off from the originals (being based on Biblical artifacts,instead of aliens), but Shia's charcter added a new, fun bonus to it all. Heh, heh, gotta love greasers.
Well, there were the river rocks from the Temple of Doom. So all of the artifacts are based on some religion or another... it's just that this one took a turn for the fantastical. Which I was a little perturbed by at first, until I remembered that the Ark was fantastical, as were stones that blazed with fire, and a grail that turns someone old instantly.
There's a difference, though.

God shooting ghosts out of a box? Fine.
800-year old knights and the cup of life? Fine.
An evil cult centered around magic sacrifices to a Hindu god? Fine.

But Aliens? No...

The reason is, this is Indy, not X-Files. Aliens are completely out-of-place in the Indy world. Divine occurrences, the supernatural, whatever, that can work. But extraterrestrials throws a sci-fi element in there that ends up looking... weird. It's almost like George Lucas really wanted to throw more Star Wars into it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Kizyr wrote:
There's a difference, though.

But Aliens? No...

The reason is, this is Indy, not X-Files. Aliens are completely out-of-place in the Indy world. Divine occurrences, the supernatural, whatever, that can work. But extraterrestrials throws a sci-fi element in there that ends up looking... weird. It's almost like George Lucas really wanted to throw more Star Wars into it. KF
I don't know...while I haven't seen the film yet, so I don't know if it works in the context of the movie itself, I don't have any issue with it on a thematic level*. Honestly, once you get into a universe where we encounter Actual Functioning Magic Doohickeys from three separate, major world religions, the whole thing pretty well falls into Fantasy Kitchen Sink territory where anything goes and the only reason it's not the X-Files is strictly due to the number of episodes thus far encountered (actually, it took the X-Files three episodes to get to something that wasn't an alien, so the Indy films aren't too far behind).

*well, other than the fact that "New Age Crap Turns Out To Be Genuinely Paranormal For Whatever Reason" is never one of my favorite plot twists anyway; I'd rather have something with some genuine history behind it than something based on 19th-century (18th?) fake archaeology...one reason among many why "Temple of Doom" kind of fell flat for me, because I don't know enough about the Hindu religion to know if the three stones are rooted in genuine tradition the way the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail are or if they're something just made up by the filmmakers, but they felt about as genuine as the "Mysterious East" of the Yellow Peril novels if not quite as offensive.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:There's a difference, though.

But Aliens? No...

Well, if Wookies had shown up, then I would agree with you.

I think the saving grace of the sci-fi element is that it is so isolated, both in terms of time (several thousand years in the past) and space (being hidden; otherwise why would they go out searching for it?). Its isolation means that the only point the extraterrestrial elements become a concern is the end. Before then, the only focuses areon the Crystal Skull's powers and its former use in religious worship. By the end, with all of that established, I was willing to go the step further, because for me the distinction between the supernatural and the extraterrestrial is... superfluous. As Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." It's just a different kind of magic.

I can understand seeing an alien and going, "Mon Dieu! Science fiction cop-out!" But here, I think it works. With tensions.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Hahn Solo and Indiana Jones go out and have a drink with their wives, the end.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I actually really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't amazing by any means, but it was certainly was an entertaining movie.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"