Last Boss

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Even with the typos it still is very resourceful.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sure, but if all it is is copying the official guide then that should be noted. Otherwise it's plagiarism. And copying it badly doesn't make it less so.

Zorra
Burg Farmer

Post by Zorra »

I hope no one trounces me for bringing up an old thread, but I had to share my experience.

First time I tried to beat Ghaleon I was around level 45. He kicked my butt twice. My inventory was low, including four silverlights, maybe six or so angel tears, and three starlights. I thought, "okay, I need more items" and went all the way back through the fortress thinking I could leave and get more. I ended up earning more starlights but used them on my way back out. Alex was virtually out of MP and everyone else was in red or orange but I thought I could fill them back up later. Once I was at the exit and realized to my horror that I couldn't leave, I decided I had managed to level up on my way through and worked too hard to quit. I went back through, using one starlight on Jessica to keep us alive and just made it back to the first statue. Then when I got to the second, I fought a bunch of times to level up some more and try to earn more items, though all I got were holy waters and angel tears.

I took another shot at Ghaleon again at Level 49. Everyone had two angel tears except Nash who had three. Everyone but Nash had a silverlight, Nash, Jessica, and Kyle had one starlight a piece. The rest of everyone's inventorys were healing nuts, one herb, one water cane, and one of my ten million holy waters. I had no Hell ring, no Gale ring, no Ghaleon's tear. I also forgot until the last minute before my third round against Ghaleon to equip the Dragonmaster's Ring. I equipped Nash, Mia, and Jessica with the Angel rings.

Since I had so few items, I decided I could waste as little MP as possible on healing, protection, and vigor. I beat him but ended up dying afterwards anyway, and I neglected to save. The fourth time I was just a bit upset. I altered my previous strategy a tad and spent no MP on protection or vigor. I just wailed on him with Red Anger, Flameria, Thunderbolt, Powerslash, and when Jessica didn't heal, she attacked with the water cane item in her inventory. I used Dragon Healing once or twice with everyone taking turns using items in their inventories as necessary. As Alex ran under 35 MP for Red Anger, I would Sword Dance a couple of times before giving him the Silverlight so I didn't waste those 12 precious MP.

After all this, I finished the game and walked around Meriba, sharing in people's joy. Then some guy in the pub says something like "You couldn't have done it without Althena's Sword". I'm like, "What sword?" I go into my inventory and realize I never equipped the sword.

I plan to play it over smarter the second time.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Youch, tough break man. At least you got through it though. Sometimes those battles that take a few tries are more fun because of the different strategies you get to try. Then again, sometimes they aren't.

Either way, no worries on bringing up a fairly older thread. It's a good addition, and if someone has something worthwhile to add, it's certainly okay, which is the case with your post.
-G1

Zorra
Burg Farmer

Post by Zorra »

Sometimes those battles that take a few tries are more fun because of the different strategies you get to try.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I had started out in the Level 45 fights relying a lot on Dragon Protection but at 60 MP, Alex was too empty near the end of the battle and so was everyone else since they had to make up the slack. Those first couple of battles ended up with everyone around or under five MP and I died because I had nothing more to attack him with beside plain old physical attacks. Vigor/Power-Up and the like was deemed too wasteful because all Ghaleon had to do was kill Alex or Kyle and then I would have to recast, which would use up turns when I could be attacking Ghaleon. At least I remembered to save my Angel Rings for Ghaleon. I don't think I would've made it without them.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

In general, Vigor/Power Up is not a very efficient way of defeating any enemy. Casting an actual attack spell will cause much more damage than the extra bit of damage that will be added on with the Vigor/Power Up spell.

Zorra
Burg Farmer

Post by Zorra »

I thought it was kinda effective with other bosses that don't kill you so readily as Ghaleon does with Fate Storm or whatever that spell is. With Kyle especially, that extra bit looked like it added up. If I had enough MP to last me throughout the fight, I probably would've casted them.

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

I believe that it was quiet effective. Vigor and Power up has saved my @$$ a couple of times. Besides you give up one turn to power up. The rest of your turns make it up by doing more damage than ever.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, I've never found those spells to be a waste of time at all, except obviously for very short fights.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I used them on all but the easiest of boss fights as well.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Boy, all the power up spells and defense spells are truely worthwhile. Normally I would have Alex use Vigor, then have Mia cast that power up spell on him, and have Kyle use power up. Then have Mia cast power up on Kyle while Alex starts to wail on the enemy. Same with Kyle. Then I cast the ice shield thingy on alex and kyle then start to use Mia for fighting :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Atticus »

I dont use most Stat base Party spells most time
Other then few times that it really is need

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

They really come in handy against booses such as Ghaleon. Mia defense and attack stat boost are fun to use aainst him.

Ghaleon101
Burg Farmer

Beating ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon101 »

I first tried to beat ghaleon on the sega cd version and I could not do it. I was a bit inexperienced in rpgs. I always wanted to have a rematch with ghaleon to settle the score. I was happy when the ps1 version came out. I finally got to me and I kept on getting beat. I think it took me four or five times to beat him. I was so ticked off that I could not beat him. So one day I just throw everything at him. I kept hitting him with all of the spells and I finally did beat him. I still don't know how I did it. I saved right after. I was not going to screw that up after trying to beat ghaleon. I don't think I have fought a boss as hard as ghaleon. I would usually get half way through the battle and then he would just level all of my people with one attack leaving only one alive. I also was a bit foolish. I did not prepare enough items as needed, which was a dumb idea to do. If I ever get to go up against ghaleon I would prepare and level up a bit more.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

i don't think ghaleon has a battle nearly as hard as fighting zophar.

Ghaleon101
Burg Farmer

Post by Ghaleon101 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:i don't think ghaleon has a battle nearly as hard as fighting zophar.
I forgot about zophar. Zophar is one hard boss. I still have trouble beating him.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Ghaleon101 wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:i don't think ghaleon has a battle nearly as hard as fighting zophar.
I forgot about zophar. Zophar is one hard boss. I still have trouble beating him.
Zophar (especially in the Sega CD EB) is one of those rare bosses where even if you go in with the perfect strategy, he can still kick your ass if you're unlucky. I remember one time (probably my 4th or 5th time through EB) where I saw the tell-tale dark shadow of Hell Wave appearing on screen. No problem -- I tell my party to flee or attack depending on the location of the shadow and they'll be fine. Well, unfortunately, that panty-waist must've gotten a really good "initiative roll" that round relative to Hiro and co. and managed to cast Hell Wave before any of my party could avoid the shadow. :( That sucked.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

i swear i've noticed bosses taking additional turns in the lunars before.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:i swear i've noticed bosses taking additional turns in the lunars before.
Dragonmaster Lou's First Law of Console-Style RPGs is, "Bosses cheat." :P

I regularly follow that rule when designing bosses for my various console-inspired table top RPG sessions.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

okay good. it's not just me.