What are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Hirox
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What are You Currently Playing?

Post by Hirox »

Im currently playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario kart Wii, Animal Crossing (my friend just got it so ive been pickin it back up). Also started Persona 3

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Wow, it's been 10 months. :D

Right now I'm playing through Wild Arms 3 for the first time. I found it a few months ago at Gamestop used for $5. And wow, I would've paid $40 for it. (To explain the markdown, the game is an old PS2 game, and so its cel shading is sometimes rougher than more recent games, but sometimes it manages to look like Dragon Quest VIII... except of course in the desert.)

And then I'm playing Oblivion on my new computer. :D Right now I'm footing it in the wilderness, and I most recently came upon a haunted ruin, and I'm going to have to retreat because I can only damage it with the offensive spells I originally skimped on. I created my own class which is based in melee combat (Heavy Armor, Blade, Blunt weapons) and noncombative magic (Restoration, Alchemy).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I have a bad habit of playing too many games at once, takes me forever to complete them. :-P

1) Grandia (Saturn) - I play this game while I run on my tredmill in an effort to lose a little weight (lost 5 lbs w00t!)
2) Wii Fit - I want to lose weight. ^^
3) FFCC: My Life as a King - My kingdom is called the Kingdom of Vane. XD
4) Lunar: Eternal Blue - Play on my PSP while my sister drives us to New Jersey for Japanese lessons
5) Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 - same as Lunar: EB
-Nobi

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Man, it's been a while. Currently playing Tsukihime, Phantasy Star Gaiden and Legend of Legaia. Will start on EBC once I'm finished with Legaia.

Nobuyuki, is Grandia for Saturn in English? Or Japanese only?
Last edited by Jasonb12 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Japanese only. I've played it in English on the Playstation before, but I'm trying to practice my Japanese reading whenever I can.
-Nobi

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Tch...! What about Sakura Taisen? I read a sample of the manga a while ago and was interested.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I've played all 5 Sakura Taisen main games to DEATH (and am playing 1 and 2 again on PSP). So I'm doing Grandia right now for variety. XD
-Nobi

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Are they in English or have a translation? Can you explain the series to me? And what systems are they for?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

They're in Japanese (there are translations for the first 3 games online if I recall correctly...) The first two games were originally released on the Sega Saturn, but were later ported to the Dreamcast (I recommend the ports, the artwork is higher res and the music is sharper). The 3rd and 4th games were released on the Dreamcast (though the 4th game was rushed and is really really short. It was done as a present for Japanese fans of the series since the 3rd game sold so well on the Dreamcast...). There was a remake of the first game for the PlayStation 2 called "Sakura Taisen: Atsuki Chishio Ni" that used the same battle engine as Sakura Taisen 4 with some additional "improvements" (that I never used and thankfully, they're not required). Sakura Taisen V was released on the PlayStation 2, sadly to little fanfare, and the series has kind of run its course in Japan (though I hope they will make a new awesome one someday). Sakura Taisens 1 & 2 were ported to the PSP on one disc, but do NOT play this version unless you're using a PSP slim, because on the old PSPs the load times are atrocious (not just from one scene to the next, mid gameplay/scene). There was also a new Dungeon Crawler for the DS released just a couple of months ago. It's alright, but it's a low budget game that's really just testing the waters to see if there's still a market (sadly, there isn't much of one anymore in Japan).

Sakura Taisen is essentially a combination of an Adventure game/Dating Sim (no hentai)/Strategy game. You spend (usually) the first half of each episode talking to the girls and progressing the plot, then when the evil forces attack, the game switches to a battle mode that plays out like turn-based strategy. It's quite fun and the first game especially is a decent challenge at points. I love the story and characters and if you can read Japanese (or at least enough to understand the general idea of what's going on), it's a great series of games. ^_^
-Nobi

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Seems reallly interesting. I don't have a Dreamcast though. :(
What about the PC Versions? Would they work just as good as the Saturn/Dreamcast versions?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Oh yeah, I forgot they ported 1-4 to the PC. Yes, those are fine as well.
-Nobi

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Cool. I'll look into it. I take it you're a Disgaea fan, right? What do you think about the new DS port of Hour of Darkness?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Haven't picked it up just yet, waiting to see if the US version will have Japanese language on it. (PS2 and PSP do, but those are on discs, I don't want to take any chances for the DS version).
-Nobi

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I'm not sure about that myself, but do you think it's a good idea to port it to DS?

It wold be nice if they could port Disgaea 3 to PS2 or PSP though...

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Right now I'm playing Star Ocean: The Second Story--yes, for the first time. I'm really loving it so far.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

How far into it are you, Katze?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

BattleMedic
Student of Vane

Post by BattleMedic »

Just finished Mass Effect and now working on GTA 4
To have no fear, you must know fear.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Jasonb12 wrote:I'm not sure about that myself, but do you think it's a good idea to port it to DS?

It wold be nice if they could port Disgaea 3 to PS2 or PSP though...
Can't hurt I suppose. I want a Wii version but I'm crazy like that. XD
-Nobi

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

LunarRaptor wrote:How far into it are you, Katze?
Right now I'm fighting two of the Wise Men, Decus and Vesper. And I hate them.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts: Re- Chain of Memories for PS2. I'm also playing some games on the side of that like Doom 3 and a bit of Halo 3 every now and then.