Langrisser remakes

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Langrisser remakes

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/29/sa ... -new-work/

I've yet to beat any of the original Langrisser games, though on and off I am working on translating the I and II 32-bit remake (moreso as an exercise to practice Japanese, don't expect me to finish anytime soon, or ever really.) But I've always been interested in the series, and it's nice to see a return of it that isn't a MMO or cellphone game, plus yay for an Urushihara's art option. Hypetrain!

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Langrisser remakes

Post by Imperial Knight »

I admit to being a little wary of this, just because of how disastrous pretty much every Langrisser has been since the departure of Career Soft. It's been a parade of unrelated games that get the Langrisser name slapped on them, attempts to just imitate what the old games did except with a much less talented team, and flat out vaporware. Extreme just treats the series as something to license out for cash, and the developers who have licensed it so far mostly seem interested in making a quick buck off of nostalgia.

Of course, if this can buck the trend it would be great. Langrisser was a fantastic series and Langrisser IV in particular is one of my favorite games so a revival of the series has potential if nothing else, it's just that potential has gone unrealized for the past two decades now.

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

Sans some ROMs I've dabbled in I've never really got the chance to enjoy Langrisser so I'm pretty excited for this when I heard a PS4 remake was coming.

That comparison of Urushihara's to Ryou Nagi's designs makes me realize why I enjoy Urushihara so much. Any arguments against the practicality of the armor design aside, Urushihara's design is vividly detailed and full of "life" whereas Nagi's is largely atypical to these types of modern 2D designs. I believe Nagi is also doing or either did character work for the remake of the YU-NO visual novel in addition to obviously being known for Ar Tonelico.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Imperial Knight wrote:I admit to being a little wary of this, just because of how disastrous pretty much every Langrisser has been since the departure of Career Soft. It's been a parade of unrelated games that get the Langrisser name slapped on them, attempts to just imitate what the old games did except with a much less talented team, and flat out vaporware. Extreme just treats the series as something to license out for cash, and the developers who have licensed it so far mostly seem interested in making a quick buck off of nostalgia.

Of course, if this can buck the trend it would be great. Langrisser was a fantastic series and Langrisser IV in particular is one of my favorite games so a revival of the series has potential if nothing else, it's just that potential has gone unrealized for the past two decades now.
I mean there haven't that many Langrisser games since Langrisser V, so I'm gonna keep my hopes up. Compared with say modern Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy anyway. Obviously it *could* be bad but personally I'm giving the devs the benefit of the doubt for now.
AkagisWhiteComet wrote:Sans some ROMs I've dabbled in I've never really got the chance to enjoy Langrisser so I'm pretty excited for this when I heard a PS4 remake was coming.

That comparison of Urushihara's to Ryou Nagi's designs makes me realize why I enjoy Urushihara so much. Any arguments against the practicality of the armor design aside, Urushihara's design is vividly detailed and full of "life" whereas Nagi's is largely atypical to these types of modern 2D designs. I believe Nagi is also doing or either did character work for the remake of the YU-NO visual novel in addition to obviously being known for Ar Tonelico.
Certainly not practical, but Urushihara's designs are more detailed, and much nicer to look at than Nagi's. And overly realistic armor can get boring, plus the real world doesn't account for magic anyway. I'm interested in the new music though, I'm not a huge fan of the original Langrisser OST, hopefully we can mix and match between music and art, instead of simply classic mode or new mode for both. Iwadare is returning, so I'm hoping for more real instruments using the same compositions.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Langirsser mobile came out today...it requires a Facebook login to save. Considering how wary I am to log in there nowadays, I think I'm gonna pass for now.

EDIT: Never mind, Guest login for LM works. The way it was worded I thought I couldn't save my game, but it auto-saves...granted I would like to save in multiple files, but it's better than logging into Facebook every time to save. The devs have been fixing many launch issues so maybe multiple saves will happen...

EDIT #2: Langrisser Mobile is actually really good so far, they added Google login btw. Currently on Chapter 4, there is an actual plot unlike so many other mobile games, nice animations and voice acting. Maps are big and have terrain advantages, units have weaknesses and strengths vs other classes. Also the music is basically a more arranged with real instruments version of Iwadare's work (some songs still have that chiptunes feel), and I'm not sure how involved Urushihara was(if at all), but any new designs are much more faithful to his than the Nagi art in the PS4/Switch remakes. Obviously many of these are SRPG staples, I'm just glad they included them in a mobile game. I never played much of Fire Emblem Heroes, but one complaint I heard was that it was really dumbed down from the Nintendo console/handheld releases.

As for the PS4/Switch remake: https://gematsu.com/2019/01/langrisser- ... 7-in-japan