Dragon Warrior plot question.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
ShadowAce
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dragon Warrior plot question.

Post by ShadowAce »

So I've been playing the first 3 Dragon Warrior games for gameboy recently. I wanted to play them to get in the mood for 8, anyway.

Anyways... I noticed something that I can't quite understand. (I'm thinking from an in-game perspective. I know it's just a game and it doesn't need to make sense.) Dragon Warrior 3 is the prequel to DW 1. Okay, we all get that much. So here are some things that don't make a lick of sense to me, story-wise: (Please refrain from telling me the obvious, that they were made in the order of 1, 2 and 3. I know this. I'm talking chronologically)

1. You fall in a volcano to Alefguard (sp?) near the end of Dragon Warrior 3. When you take your boat, you can sail too much in each directions and reach "the edge of the world" which is like a huge waterfall. I'm assuming this is the edge of the underworld (assuming that Alefguard in DW 3 is like the underworld in Final Fantasy IV). In DW 1 you don't have a boat (given you don't need one) But in DW 2 there's all sorts of land??

2. Daylight in the underworld. It's dark there, yes, until you destroy Zoma (or whoever the end boss is, can't remember). But how does it get sunlight if it's the underworld? Is the Light Orb their version of the sun and it has a "timer" or something to let people know when it's time for sleep? Or is the Light Orb always on?

3. Tantegel. In DW 3, Tantegel Castle and town (Brecconily in the NES version) are ONE PLACE. In Dragon Warrior, they're seperated? Did the place grow so much they had to seperate?

I won't get into monsters, since they are all cliche anyway. (As all monsters and weapons and stuff like that is.)

Here's one for fun though, I'd like to think the Wyvern Wings as the Dragonwings in Lunar 2. They just lost their power they held from DW 3 to be able to go to any previous town (for the most part) to only being able to return you to the last place you saved your game (DW 1 and 2)

With all that said, and as I stated previously, yes I know it's just a game. But I thought it'd be nice to see anyone else's take on the differences and/or plot holes that don't make sense (when looking at it in Chronological order) in this series.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It's amusing that the original Erdrick had 3 companions...

But DW1 man had to go it alone, and DW2 man only had 2 companions.

By that measure...you gotta respect DW1 man. Takes guts to go it alone.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.