Silver Star Story Touch may disappear with iOS 11

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Silver Star Story Touch may disappear with iOS 11

Post by Zhane Masaki »

http://toucharcade.com/2017/06/05/ios-1 ... p-support/

This should be worrisome. I contacted SoMoGa but I don't know if one voice alone will work. So I'm sounding the Horn of Gondor here.
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Silver Star Story Touch may disappear with iOS 11

Post by Kizyr »

>.> and folks wonder why I'm not too sanguine about mobile gaming... More than PCs (where there are ways to play most games designed for older OSes), mobile OSes seem to be totally unaware of the concept that some folks want to play older games and their updates make it impossible to emulate. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ And also unlike PCs, the homebrew emulating crowd doesn't seem nearly as prominent or viable. :/ Nor (yet) do official emulators seem like a possibility.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Regarding emulators, I've had limited success using John NES, Super Retro, and GENSPlus (for NES, SNES, and Genesis, respectively). Nothing too complicated though and they seem pretty bare-bones -- though they work on my weak 5+-year-old MP3 player. Also Genesis emulation in general seems to be harder, or at least worse -- can't tell if it's because of the complexity or that there're fewer people dedicated to it.

...though I need a bluetooth controller to play anything. It lets you use the touch screen, but it's kind of impossible to use the screen as a controller while I'm actually trying to look at the screen (not to mention having no tactile feedback makes it impossible to play anything).

BTW that's to say nothing of emulating older OSes -- like, I've seen nothing attempting to "emulate" an environment to play older games in (like DOSBox, or WINE in Linux). It's like the basic attitude is "old games? why play old games when you have new games?!" KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Kizyr wrote:...though I need a bluetooth controller to play anything. It lets you use the touch screen, but it's kind of impossible to use the screen as a controller while I'm actually trying to look at the screen (not to mention having no tactile feedback makes it impossible to play anything).
I recommend trying one of the 8bitdo controllers like the SFC30 or the SNES30. Those two in particular are bluetooth replicas of the Super Famicom and SNES controllers respectively. They use such high quality plastic, and are put together so well that they feel exactly like their original wired counterparts.

Also, emulators aside, they also make "retro receivers" for both the NES and SNES. These are bluetooth dongles that you plug into the controller ports of your NES or SNES in order to make your systems compatible with bluetooth controllers. Obviously the 8bitdo controllers are supported since the receivers are their products, but the receivers are also compatible with the Wii Remote, Wii U pro controller, PS3 controller, and PS4 controller. There may even be a few others, but those are the big ones I can remember.

In any case, strictly from a controller standpoint, I can personally vouch for the quality of the 8bitdo controllers, or at least the SFC30 (which I own). It's the best bluetooth controller I've ever used, and it's compatible with both IOS and Android. If you're interested and happen to have any questions about them, let me know.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."