Night in the Woods

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Night in the Woods

Post by Jenner »

... Gregg rulz ok
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Night in the Woods

Post by Kizyr »

....Hun this game has been emotionally impacting you given that it takes place in a dying rust-belt town and evokes a lot of themes of hope/despair.

...I was kinda hoping for a bit more content. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I'm getting there.

Taking place in the fictional, dying rust belt town of Possum Springs A Night in the Woods follows the story of Mae, a sarcastic and edgy twenty year old college drop out who has returned to her hometown because where else would she go? The Game features dialog options and choices which allow you to craft a bit of the tone and content of the game.  In too many cases, all the options are horrible just like real life. The game touches on issues like poverty, emotional and physical abuse, defense mechanisms, poor decisions and consequences, hopelessness, and so many other things. It is an experience and we should talk about it. We should also flood this thread with cute pictures because holy -Fatal Hopper- this game.

Mae is the first person on either side of her family to go to college and to whom her family put all their hopes and dreams for breaking the cycle of poverty on. Only, Mae casually dropped out of college her sophomore year for reasons I haven't found out yet and she's returned to her home town of Possum Springs to catch up with her old friends who are all working themselves to death in joyless dead end McJobs because there is no future in Possum Springs. One of her friends, Bea, is a brilliant and intelligent woman who can't afford to go to college and who is being exploited by her father while supporting him emotionally and financially. She gets to hang out with Mae who casually talks about bailing on school and quite possibly her only escape out of this hell like it's no big deal. Completely ignorant of the fact that she callously squandered an opportunity Bea will never get and who would have never let such an opportunity go without a fight. Mae doesn't even know what she lost but Bea does and it is sickening.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Haven't played the game so I can't speak to it, but after reading the spoiler I concur on the need for cute pictures. Most of mine are too big to attach though.
Velcro kitten 100407_12192.jpg
Velcro kitten 100407_12192.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 17294 times

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

>.> I'll eventually be playing the game soon so I need to avoid the spoilers...

Is the rhythm game part common, or just that one part? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

There are three band segments which get progressively more difficult.

That ending was... something alright.  You know I bet there really is a cult of racist Trumpster dads sacrificing the poor and undesirables to a pit under the illusion that it gives them some kind of control over their miserable fates somewhere because of course there is but it's still absurd! And it's obviously not working! The Pastabilities went under!

And  Oh gosh, Angus... same... same...

And... and...  As someone who has gone through all the -Dragon Diamond- I've gone through I found the message that I'll be forgotten and I'm meaningless and that the universe will forget and be forgotten. And that God is not God and also doesn't give a -Dragon Diamond-... that the universe doesn't give a -Dragon Diamond- either... that it'll all be nothing one day and we'll all be forgotten comforting. Because every day I live is in defiance of that inevitability. That living, existing, is defiance. That every life I touch and change has meaning to that person who will, like me, ultimately be nothing and forgotten. But it doesn't matter that, in a handful of generations, it'll be as if we never were. Because that doesn't change that we were. The inevitable end of everything doesn't change the fact that there was a something! We can't find the answer that will save us forever because death is certain. But we can find the answer that can save us right now. And even if we don't? Even if we don't find the answer right then when we need it chances are, unless we die over night, are murdered, or kill ourselves, we'll be alive the next day so even without the answer we survived! YAY! Our existence is resistance.

Gregg rulz ok.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.