Input lag with an EverDrive?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Input lag with an EverDrive?

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Hey guys,

As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts, I have a retro video game room in mine and my fiance's house that I refer to as my "nerd cave". Lol. Anyway, I watched some videos that talked about the various EverDrive flash carts for different systems, and I became fascinated. For those of you that don't know, an EverDrive is a cartridge that has either an SD card slot or a micro SD card slot which allows you to load ROMS and essentially play any game for that system all from one cartridge.

I'd love to get one for each of my cartridge-based systems, but I'm concerned about is input lag. I know that is a problem with various types of emulators out there. I guess what is different in this situation is that it's simply emulating the games themselves, but not the hardware.

Do any of you guys have experience with an EverDrive for any of the retro cartridge-based systems? If so, did you experience any input lag? I need to keep my Mega Man reflexes sharp. ;-)
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Input lag with an EverDrive?

Post by Sonic# »

I can't say for sure, but I suspect the lag would be inconsequential. I use a RetroPie installation on a Raspberry Pi for playing my old games. It uses flash memory via a microSD card; I've never noticed latency issues.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Input lag with an EverDrive?

Post by jay_are »

All right, I may have some experience with this, but I can't talk about EverDrive because I haven't used that before.
I've used flash carts, and they run the games perfectly. Even if the flash cart itself is crappy and the game you're running has compatibility issues and glitches with the flash cart, it will still not affect input lag.
If what you're using is the original system, there should be no input lag at all as the console will do the same exact thing as with a real cartridge.
Input lag commonly comes when the systems involved in the emulation are very different from each other and there has to be a little bit of time to translate the code in real time.

Just make sure your A/V cables are connected to the CRT! (You already know that Im assuming cause you have 2 TVs, but I think you said the N64 is connected to an HD TV and unless you modded it for HD, that's gonna be an inferior experience)

Raspberry Pi, no latency? I'd like to hear more about this.
My go-to test is fighting Mike Tyson in Punch Out!! :mrgreen: