Nintendo Switch console revealed!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Nintendo Switch console revealed!

Post by Silver Phoenix »

This is Nintendo's rinse and repeat gimmick with little in the way of 3rd party support as usual. It's the Wii U but slightly more powerful and fully mobile with no backwards compatability and paid online. Free for 6 months at launch or until Fall.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Silver Phoenix wrote:This is Nintendo's rinse and repeat gimmick with little in the way of 3rd party support as usual. It's the Wii U but slightly more powerful and fully mobile with no backwards compatability and paid online. Free for 6 months at launch or until Fall.
Wouldn't you think the Switch is almost mysteriously underpowered?
I mean, it has the SAME storage space as the WiiU (at least the black one, which is the only one that matters).
And its specs are also mysteriously low, being only slightly more powerful as the WiiU like you said.

My prediction is that this is no WiiU successor at all.
What I THINK they're doing is succeeding the 3DS but in secret. Now THAT makes sense that the Switch is the next portable thing.
The rule is: If it can be taken on the portable, it's not a true big home console, so this is a portable system regardless how anyone uses it. It just merely has the ability to connect to TVs, just like a PSP would, or a PS Vita would have if the designers had some brains... the brains that Nintendo might prove to have if my prediction is correct.
But, they're still developing things for the 3DS, right? So how can this be the successor to it? Well, the situation is new, because a Nintendo home console had never failed this hard. They can't admit that the Switch is the next handheld, because that would kill the 3DS, and having both a dead 3DS and WiiU is not gonna be convenient at all for them. They need the 3DS to be alive while they experiment with the Switch.
What I mean is, the WiiU's true successor has yet to be invented, and is some years away. It would coexist with the Nintendo Switch much like the WiiU and 3DS did, but in this case, the Switch is the 3DS. Or like the PSP and PS3, which even had a very similar User Interface! So maybe the WiiU's true successor would be a true next gen level of powerful, improved, home-only version of the Switch.

The only thing that goes against my prediction is that the Switch won't fit in your pocket :P
however, it IS mysteriously kinda small too, people have commented how almost uncomfortably small the joy cons are.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I don't understand why they would replace the 3DS in secret. Like, that would be sacrificing longer-term trust for a very short-term gain.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Sonic# wrote:I don't understand why they would replace the 3DS in secret. Like, that would be sacrificing longer-term trust for a very short-term gain.
What did you not understand about it other than the fact that it has low specs that obviously wouldnt have competed even in 2012 as a home console? (because it's basically a WiiU just a few thin hairs slightly better, and that wasn't enough in 2012)

Also, I don't know how that sacrifices trust any more than making tons of Standard 3DS models with different designs and having sales right before announcing the "New 3DS".
... or charging everyone for every digital game 3 times (Wii, 3DS, WiiU).
... or announcing an almost forced $20 DLC for Breath of the Wild right before release.
... or promising NES Classics for CHRISTMAS (it's been 2 months as of today since THAT holiday, and you still can't buy one at the store, yet it "came out" in Nov 11 2017)
... or saying they don't like DLC in general, but created Super Smash Bros to have like over $100 in digital DLC and like $200 in physical DLC (amiibo)
or even up to $1000 if you got the amiibo when they were hot.

Nintendo is really weird, and they're very unpredictable, so in the end that was still a wild prediction :mrgreen:

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

?
What did you not understand about it other than the fact that it has low specs that obviously wouldnt have competed even in 2012 as a home console? (because it's basically a WiiU just a few thin hairs slightly better, and that wasn't enough in 2012)
That's a misleading query. On the one hand, you seem to be asking me to say that "I didn't understand it has low specs that obviously wouldnt have competed even in 2012." On the other, I don't think that's "obvious" - that assumes all consoles succeed based on the same objective criteria, when so much of it is either flexible (what criteria found a market for, say, the Wii, which was technically "weaker" in specs) or subjective (during the SNES/Genesis era there were a lot of systems more powerful than either console, but neither of them were perceived as high-value.)

There are lots of reasons to be slightly more powerful than the Wii U that don't have to do with replacing the Nintendo 3DS. They've made a hybrid console, so obviously they're banking on its multiple capabilities being more persuasive. Like the Wii U, they want to reach people who play at home but might also want to go play in another room or with the TV off. Nintendo's arguably pursuing a market less concerned with console specs - older people, kids, people who don't look up "specs." And, most obviously, they seem to be replacing what didn't work (the Wii U), not replacing what did (the 3DS). If they were replacing the 3DS, there's no evident reason why they'd want to avoid association with the 3DS, since that would hitch their wagon to a star. In other words, I don't see the substance for suggesting it's a "secret."

If you want to argue that "they're very unpredictable," then that undercuts the logic of what you're saying, since then there's no ground for your prediction. One other scenario against the secret: it's entirely possible that they will release the Switch and then in the next year look at purchasing data to decide whether to run down the 3DS. That doesn't mean that they were "replacing the 3DS in secret" (which implies that a decision has already been made but it's a secret one), but that they evaluated the current market post-release and made a choice (which suggests that there is no secret decision, but it may be something they'll evaluate on their 1, 2, or 5-year plan).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Nintendo may be unpredictable, but that's only in the sense of what they say things are meant to be. History has some interesting proof.

Remember, the concept taken wrong is that kids don't care about specs.
It's not that the kids care or not about the numbers and processing power, they likely won't know anything about it.
What they DO care though, is the latest Call of Duty game. That's one of the main games that kids usually play.

What happens when Call of Duty gets made?
Where do you think the devs will make this game if they want to impress? 3DS / WiiU? or PS4 Pro and XBOX Scorpio?
(I have personally had to explain what my WiiU was to some kids who were already gamers)

The consoles that existed at the same time as the SNES that were more powerful... how affordable were those? :)
Devs didn't even get a chance to develop for those, because the SNES (which was more powerful than the Genesis) already had the cooler games anyway... and there was the PS1 which btw, which came out in 1994 / 1995. It was affordable (much more than those others that were competing with SNES), it was next gen. (Though the PS1 was meant to be Nintendo too, but this is another long story)
Sonic# wrote: If you want to argue that "they're very unpredictable," then that undercuts the logic of what you're saying, since then there's no ground for your prediction. One other scenario against the secret: it's entirely possible that they will release the Switch and then in the next year look at purchasing data to decide whether to run down the 3DS. That doesn't mean that they were "replacing the 3DS in secret" (which implies that a decision has already been made but it's a secret one), but that they evaluated the current market post-release and made a choice (which suggests that there is no secret decision, but it may be something they'll evaluate on their 1, 2, or 5-year plan).
You're giving the "secret" more importance than the actual way things will go XD
It doesn't matter if it's a secret or not, or if the decision has been made or not. It could very well be the natural course of evolution.
That would happen, though, if they learned their lesson about the WiiU.
I just recently heard the Switch won't come with Virtual Console at launch at least. This is something I wouldn't have predicted, and is something that shows their decision making is strange at best. I do have another theory: Someone who hates Nintendo is changing them from the inside. (Sabotaging them). Before you argue about sabotage or not... XD this also just can plain mean they suck at making decisions, but I like to put it in a funny trivial way.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

jay_are wrote:I just recently heard the Switch won't come with Virtual Console at launch at least.
I've been trying to find concrete information about this, mainly because I can't sell my Wii U until I know I can transfer the Virtual Console games somewhere. I actually preordered the Switch when it became available because, well, you know... Zelda. But also because I had a lot of Best Buy gift cards saved up.
-G1

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

A friend of mine saw a defective Switch right from the box. Amazing.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Mine has worked flawlessly. I had a little inner worry about the size of the world and the talk about breaking weapons, items, etc. (kind of reminded me of Dragon Song actually) but 4-5 hours in and it's already up there for one of the best Zelda experiences in the series. I almost have more fun ambushing the small enemy camps. I get a little too much pleasure from climbing above them, throwing a bomb off the ledge and detonating it when it rolls into place, sending enemies flying in all directions. There's so much exploration. Just getting past the first area takes quite some time, and that's just if you're going from Point A to Point B, etc. I really need to walk away so I can get actual work done, but it keeps trying to draw me back in!
-G1