Ys?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
brit
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ys?

Post by brit »

So let’s talk Ys. Anyone else here happen to be a fan? If so what is your favorite Ys game?

I got into Ys around 2010 when XSEED released Ys Seven on the PSP. To me it was a fast-paced JRPG and I just fell in love with it. I mean I literally stayed up till 4 a.m. after classes just playing it. I loved the storyline, I loved the characters, and I loved the plot twist at the end. Like I never would have pegged that person for the final boss fight – no spoilers! After I beat it I was on such a high for more that I went out to the local GameStop and bought the other two premium edition box sets for I & II Chronicles and Oath of Felghana right after.

To this day Ys Seven is still my favorite game in the franchise.

I did buy Memories of Celceta on the PS Vita too when it came out, but I only played it a little because I got stuck super early on. Like I just picked it up again recently and finally got my third party member. XD

There’s also going to be a new game in the franchise hitting Japan on the 21st of this month. It’s called Lacrimosa of Dana and looks pretty good. Or at least I think so; I do wish they’d up scale the graphics a bit it still looks like it’s something that should be on the PSP. It’s said to be hitting PS Vita first and then the PS4 as well. Here's the actual Japanese site for the game.

Trailer for Lacrimosa of Dana.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Ys?

Post by Kizyr »

Y'know, the only ones I've ever played have been Ys I and Ys II, on the PSP (I have the rerelease/remastered version for the PSP, which I'd recommend as it's quite fun).

I knew about the Ys series itself since, like, Ys IV was released. But I never actually got into it as a series. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My husband got into it when Ys I+II was (were?) released on the TurboGrafx-CD. I think we have at least one version of all of them since then (including both IVs), and two of most. I haven't yet played any of them myself, but I watched him play I-III and VI (when it came out on PSsomething). I do really want to play most of them. VI was pretty neat. Oh, spouse just said he did finish Memories of Celceta. Sigh, so many things to play.

We have a lot of soundtracks, too. The Very Best of Ys and Symphony Ys '95 are two of my favorite soundtracks ever, especially the latter. (Not to be confused with Ys Symphony, which has one really good track and three unbelievably amateurish ones.) Anyone remember The GIA's April Fool's Day joke of Ys Infinity?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

For a long time Ys was a series that I had heard of but had never played.

I finally got a chance when The Ark of Napishtim (Ys VI) was released on the PS2. That was a very intriguing action-RPG. I liked being able to switch between three elemental swords. There were enough puzzles to whet the appetite. Its pacing reminded me a lot of Alundra, down to some specific elements (like beginning the game with a shipwreck). The story was relatively bite-sized but enjoyable. I know it was reviewed rather average at the time, but I was very happy with it.

I haven't beaten any other Ys games. I did play Ys I+II, and I think I've played selections of one other. I don't know why I never got into the series as a whole.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Ys might be in my top 5 favorite video game franchises. My first Ys game was Book I & II that came with the Turbo Duo. It's hard to decide whether Oath in Felghana or Seven is my favorite. I actually enjoyed Memories of Celceta a lot as well. Definitely looking forward to Lacrimosa of DANA. It'll be cool to finally have a Ys game on a home-console again.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Got into Ys this year. The games are seriously legit. I'mma have to go with Origins as my fav followed by Oath in Felghana.
-Nobi