Last game to give you an emotional reaction?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Last game to give you an emotional reaction?

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

I was just listening to the SSC soundtrack and remembered how the majority of my school days were spent with the two major story lines (SSC & EBC for me) and I often reminisce about how great those were. It got me thinking about how many other games have had an impact on my emotions in the past. For me, the last game to give me an emotional reaction was Fantasy Life on the 3DS. I won't spoil anything but there's a part where two parents are separated on how to raise their daughter. When you find out what the real reasoning behind it all is, it makes you (well me anyway) stop and put things into perspective. I remember being on the Metro train and just sat there for a second and thought "it's nice to play a game with some semblance of a thoughtful story". For me personally, as I grow older and focus more on a career my gaming habits have unfortunately shifted from JRPG's and MMO's to quick games (short online matches like MGO) that you can put down if needed, which makes me a little sad. Anyone else have experiences like this? Sorry for the long winded post!

-WKL

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Last game to give you an emotional reaction?

Post by Ardent Fox »

Life is Strange has certainly hit myself and my friend right in the feel-zone. Beyond that, the last game to do anything to me emotionally was Spec-Ops: The Line, but that's tied to me having been in the service and understanding to an extent the stress of combat.

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

I honestly can't remember a game, in recent times, that has hit me emotionally. Probably the latest was FF8, but that was like 2-3 years ago and I didn't even finish it.
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Same with Ardent Fox, for me, Life Is Strange has been having a huge emotional impact on me. Episode 2 had me in tears by the end, and Episode 4 (released last month) did the same in the first act -- the whole series so far has been a bit of an emotional whirlwind. ...and Episode 5 (the final chapter) is set for an Oct. 20th release. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Valkyria Chronicles, which I was playing over the spring, perhaps.

There's a distinction between story-based games, which are often designed to provoke emotional engagement, and other games, which may accommodate emotional play but need not be played in that way. So there are some JRPGs and some scenes in other games where I would be surprised if someone wasn't emotionally affected by it. However, my sorrow over losing a particular long-running character in Nethack is my own, and sorrow is not a reaction the game tries to invoke. Other players may feel disappointment, but that's more a reaction to failure.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Well, I just saw a game that got me emotional. I haven't even played it and I began crying with joy. Allow me to set the scene for you. A younger me, with no worries in the world is moving among the shelves of my local Blockbuster when I come across a curious game. The game had upon it a skull surrounded with fur and a single eye and in big letters "Skullmonkeys" emblazoned across the instruction manual. I peered at the back, curious of this new found game. It looked like a platformer, which was perfect for those weekends away from school. I grabbed the case behind it and took it to my father who got it along with a few movies for himself.

The drive home was filled with anticipation as I kept reading the description over and over in the passenger seat under the dim glow of street lights that poured in from the window. As soon as I was home, I dashed to my room and sat upon the floor next to my PS1, taking out whatever game I'd had in the tray and putting in the fresh new hotness. The next four hours of my life felt as though they'd undergone metamorphosis. The graphics, the claymation portions, the humor, the music, everything about this game was a symphony of weird. It was glorious to watch, to play these difficult platforming segments just to make it to the next cutscene or stage where I could hear more of the soundtrack. My head swam until the next morning when I sat before the dull glow of the television and played for hours, only stopping when I needed a break.

Years later, I can still remember the feelings this and Neverhood stirred within me. It was almost as though the game were so weird it understood me. We had a bond, a connection. The musical stylings of Terry Scott Taylor, the Earthrworm Jim brand of characters Doug TenNapel made and the creations of Ed Schofield and Mike Dietz told me it was okay to be weird.

But now, I come to find out they've come back together to make a game similar in tone and humor. Not only that but Mike Nelson of MST3K fame and Rob Paulsen who voiced Pinky from Pinky and the Brain are there too. It's like a childhood explosion of rainbows and puppies. It was so much that I started crying. I literally could not contain the joy and felt the need to share with everyone I could at one in the morning. Even as I type this I feel myself getting emotional. The passion I feel for games like these that defined my childhood is strong and it's the reason why I stream and look into getting into games.

Anyway, that's my story.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I guess...Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.
I just really like how it played out and how there were multiple endings - I missed when it came out on the wii and played the chronicles version that was released on the ps3 just last year.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Greco12
Pao Hunter

Post by Greco12 »

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain for the most part lacks the crazy elements that made past Metal Gear games endearing, and its overly-stoic protagonist highlights the game's overall lack of personality. However, the Shining Lights, Even in Death mission genuinely hits home for me, especially the end cutscene. Everything clicks: the overall mission objective, the way the mission cruelly toys with you, the music, the cinematography, and the vocal performances. It's one moment the game executes perfectly.

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

It was either Crisis Core or Lost Odyssey. They both brought me to tears. I haven't played one like that in a while.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Cried during Undertale.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Werefrog wrote:Cried during Undertale.
Same. Good God I'm glad I went into that game blind.
-Nobi

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:
Werefrog wrote:Cried during Undertale.
Same. Good God I'm glad I went into that game blind.
Undertale - 21505035 - Pacifist - New Home - Dialog.png
Undertale - 21505035 - Pacifist - New Home - Dialog.png (16.64 KiB) Viewed 29188 times
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Just got some dust in your eyes?

-Nobi