Metroid Game Already Has Petition Against It

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Metroid Game Already Has Petition Against It

Post by Ardent Fox »

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petit ... tion-force

This game was literally announced today. It was this morning that Nintendo held it's digital conference when they showed it off. Suddenly, with just the little bit of footage shown, this pops up. If you don't want to click the link, I will post what is said here:
Metroid Prime: Federation Force was announced at the Nintendo digital event on June 16, 2015. For almost a decade, long time Nintendo fans have been waiting for a true Metroid game. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most beloved and respected franchises spanning almost 30 years of legacy. The foundations of isolation, atmosphere and exploration in unknown planets are what made Metroid great. With the release of the Wii U and its greater technological capabilities thousands of fans were expecting a new and improved Metroid game.

What we got however is a disgrace of a game with the name "Metroid" slapped on the title. It has no elements at all of what Metroid is about and its a disrespectful manner to old and new fans of the series of showing them that the Metroid franchise is not dead afterall. This is not the Metroid we asked Nintendo to make. We should let Nintendo know what we really think of the game and make them actually LISTEN to their fans for once. Help us stop this atrocity of a game from bearing the beloved Metroid franchise name and make Nintendo halt production on it.
On the one hand, I get it. There is no Samus and the last Metroid game we got was Other M. But, I feel like the idea of boycotting this game so suddenly is asinine. Instead of boycotting the game, then let them release it and protest with your wallets. It's pretty simple. For all we know this'll be a fantastic game. It wont be because Nintendo is spending more time doing Mario things, but still. Could be good.

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Re: Metroid Game Already Has Petition Against It

Post by Nonononoki »

Well, I was about to buy a new 3DS as soon as a heard that a new Metroid is coming out... well, I better keep my money.

I'm not saying that the game ist horrible, it just isn't Metroid. As far as I can tell it's just another Sci-fi shooter, but for kids. I can see that they're targetting a whole different demographic, but we oldfags deserve a litte love too ;)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

You know what's funny? :lol: I like this!
Not the game, I mean the situation.
When Prime was released on GameCube, Metroid died to me. That game is NOT. METROID. AT ALL.
But I was alone in the world. I can never complain enough about the game, to a point that I even annoy fellow Lunar-NET members with my rants.
95% of the people I encounter love the series though! Magically, they see nothing wrong with it.
I always hear that it's a really atmospheric game, yet Zelda A link to the past had more atmosphere, and impact.

Now this game gets announced, and well, it looks really goofy, but it's Metroid Prime all right! Oh look, suddenly the fans hate it.
NOW they feel exactly what I felt for Metroid Prime. If it was for me, I would have canceled it on GameCube.
I'm glad this happened. Now that we reached the bottom of the barrell, maybe a wake-up slap will come next. With all due respect to Nintendo, who makes awesome games... but it's been 21 years since Super Metroid, and no Metroid has surpassed it.
Fusion and Zero Mission came close.

Or... maybe they'll just do whatever they want and not listen, like they always do xD
I can't be bothered with that petition. I don't see how this game is much worse than anything in Prime series. It might be so bad, that it even looks kinda good! :lol:

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Nonononoki »

I can see where you are coming from, somewhat. While all other Metroid Prime games have a lot of Metroid element in them, the new Metroid does not. It's like Metroid Prime without Metroid. People will probably be a lot happier if they just call the game "Prime" instead of "Metroid Prime". That's probably the only reason why Metroid fans (like myself) are complaining.
I do agree that the old Metroidvania games were the best ones (Fusion being my favorite).

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Sometimes a game needs to evolve. Sometimes a game needs to explore new territory, rather than sticking to the same thing. Were it not for this branching off, we wouldn't have Super Mario 64, Symphony of the Night, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. My point being, yeah, there's a lot of missteps, but a game can't keep being the same thing over and over again. That's what killed Mega Man.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Change we can believe in.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

To me, it doesn't even have to be "metroidvania" to be a successful series.
Metroid 1 to 4 (that's NES, GB, SNES and GBA) all had a few key elements besides exploration:

1 - Music
2 - Exotic visuals
3 - Fun gameplay

1 - Prime ruined all 3, starting with the music, by being too quiet or atmospheric. When it DID have music, it was some music that didn't match in style to the previous ones in any way, OR they were remixes or old games, but those were few.
It's like making a Lunar game with the soundtrack of Half Life. To a fan of Half Life, that might be good, but not for a Lunar fan.

2 - The colorful and interesting / exotic landscapes of the older games were replaced with very dark, almost hard to see, generic grey-ish graphics. The aesthetic design and maps were detailed, but unappealing when compared with the previous games.
It's like making a Lunar game with the graphics taken from a Resident Evil game.

3 - Lastly, the gameplay was hurt by the scanning and dull reading replacing almost all the fun action and exploration .
There's this place in Metroid Prime 2 where you find a ship with like 10 seats. Each one has to be scanned and each one says something different! And it is less fun and less enlightening than a school book.
Killing things is also not as satisfying, since it was either done with an awkward controller layout (gamecube) or having to aim with a wiimote. You're just not in control as strongly as in a side scrolling game or other proper First Person Shooter games.
It's like making a Lunar game with story and dialogue taken from Myst, the adventure game.

---------------

If at least this new Metroid Prime Federation Force has nice, metroid-like music, i might enjoy it!
The graphics are already looking uninspired, but at least they aren't too dark. Kinda like Metroid Prime Hunters which is ok.
Looks like the gameplay won't force me to scan stuff : )

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

What's your vision of three dimensional Metroid?

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Well it would be difficult without using images for references.
Add everything i already mentioned, now add this:
Imagine third person view, you can see Samus at all times, just like the classic games.
I choose this over first person because:

1 - You get to see what suit Samus is wearing
2 - You get to see HOW Samus looks while performing all those awesome moves
3 - More gameplay visibility
4 - Once a game is third person, there's always a "look" mode which can turn it into a First Person view temporarily, making it more versatile than games that are First Person view only. There ARE cases in which you need to for example look at a painting on a wall, or in the case of Metroid, you may need to see what's on a monitor or something.

Samus does ALL kinds of moves in the classic games, and you don't get to see any of that in first person view, taking away a lot of the fun.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/met ... 1006152141

Unless the camera leaves that view and shows you morph ball view. But a camera having to switch for that is not very appealing visually ...
In morph ball mode, in Metroid Prime, you're like WOW THAT LOOKS COOL!! But then when you go back to normal, the camera goes back in and it's boring to look at again.
Look at how much fun it is looking at your character fighting a big monster:
http://www.tetrahedralgames.com/img/cn_b3eb63db.gif

So basically I could say Morph ball view for the entire game. I've played this game Batman Arkham City, which had something i've almost never seen in a third person game, that's a nice looking camera angle:
http://www.moreapps.org/wp-content/uplo ... Apps-3.jpg

There can be art in how the camera follows you, OR the camera could control nicely like in the newer Zelda games.

The dialogue and story, they got it perfectly done in Metroid Fusion. Why didn't Fusion get 3 games made based on it? Why was it Prime instead? Just watch the intro of Metroid Fusion. The way they talk about things and what is happening in that story is pretty much what I had envisioned in Metroid many years before there was any dialogue in the games.

The art direction...... this one's very easy, yet impossible to understand for FPS developers, apparently.
Google "sci fi FPS".
You will get images of games with unappealing colors and design, but incredible amount of detail. Nothing will catch your eye.
Maybe 1 or 2 pictures out of 100.
Now Google "metroid fusion".
Suddenly, the whole search is brimming with interesting color and design! It just makes you want to play the game.

Back in the 8 bit and 16 bit eras, there were certain limitations in colors. You couldn't just make an NES game that looked all grey. There were only 2 or 3 shades of grey! You needed different colors to tell things apart.
http://vgmaps.com/NewsArchives/MotM-2011-06.png

The statue is yellow, the ground is green, the door is blue, the door path is grey/pink-ish, the water is turquois-ish.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is a savior in that it brings some of those interesing colors into a 3D world that's supposed to be dark, and an FPS no less!
http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/medi ... agon_7.jpg

Metroid Other M did a few of these things right, but I haven't played the game to know. I heard it was generally negatively received.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I like a lot of your ideas. I think Metroid should keep both 2D and 3D games going, though. There's clearly still a market for that. I thought there was another old school Metroid when I first saw Axiom Verge.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:I like a lot of your ideas. I think Metroid should keep both 2D and 3D games going, though. There's clearly still a market for that. I thought there was another old school Metroid when I first saw Axiom Verge.
I'm glad you liked it!
Yeah, it would just be ideal to keep both! They should switch between 2D and 3D with each release.
At this point without counting Other M (because I don't know if it's 2D or 3D)
we have about 5 games in 2D and 4 games in 3D. To make it even, Federation Force will be the 5th 3D game.
After that, they should go back to 2D. (Or 2.5?)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I'm cool with both. I was satisfied with Metroid Prime: Hunters.. well except the online. That COULD have been fun but there was never a match without glitchers and hackers.

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

I'm just laughing at the fact that there's actually a petition to cancel it. Whoever's idea it was at Nintendo to make this game happen must being feeling like straight garbage right now, what with this petition and how many dislikes vs likes the official trailer has on YouTube, lol. I dunno, on one hand I feel like a petition to cancel it is silly and going to far but, on the other, if they cancel it now they could put the time, effort and money into actually making another quality Metroid game. Personally I like 2D Metroid the most but I also like Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3... so I'd be happy with either, really.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Eh, I doubt they're losing sleep over it. Nor should they. There's room for multiple types of games in the franchise.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

It already has well over 18 thousand signatures. Whoa...

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Nintendo will probably not do a thing even if this reaches 100 thousand signatures.
5 million signatures, maaaaaybe.
But their state of mind is this: If they change the title at the fan's request, that's like admitting they did a bad decision to call it Metroid. And they'll NEVER do that, because they THINK every decision they take is the most correct one. At least unless the game is released and flops :lol:
Only if it fails to produce money, they will admit they were wrong.
This game will probably sell well EVEN if the people who buy it complain, because it's a Metroid game. And I'm confident it's gameplay will be well balanced and fun, and not a disaster like Lunar DS's battle system / navigation system.

As for needing more types of games in the franchise, I agree with that!
But............................. this game is obviously not a good "variation".

See, Castlevania was the same type of game until Symphony of the Night came out. That was meant to be a spin-off series.
But it was beautiful, big, artistic, and inspired. Metroid needs something more like that. Something not as gritty, dark or atmospheric as it's been for over 10 years now. Seriously, dark gritty games don't seem to end, sweet holy Althena! Why doesn't THAT go out of style, instead of RPGs like Lunar?

Anyway, back to Castlevania, there were a few spin offs, but right now my favorite is Kid Dracula (GameBoy, NES).
That game was almost as different to Castlevania as Federation Force is different to Metroid, and imagining this game being revealed on an E3 to fans expecting a Castlevania game, even at the time it came out when Castlevania games were common, I can imagine disappointment. But the game was lovely!

The REAL disappointment comes from the fact that Metroid is really freaking scarce. GBA saw only 2 Metroid games, 1 being a remake. Castlevania saw 3 brand new games.
The DS saw 1 Metroid game, and it was from the prime series. (pinball doesn't count)
And Castlevania, again, had 3 brand new games.
So seeing a "not serious at all" Metroid spin off game, AFTER it being so scarce for SO long, adds a lot to the offense.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I don't know. I found the way things were in Azado to be a bit unsettling. Lunar has some pretty hardcore moments here and there.

I see it like this. If Nintendo refuses to satisfy Metroid fans, play Axiom Verge and praise the hell out of it. They might decide to up their game if they see people claiming someone else is doing THEIR THING better than they are. But yeah this petition will do nothing. People say 20k is a drop in the bucket compared to how many people have a 3DS, but the comparison should be made to the sales numbers of the games. What are the typical sales numbers of a Metroid title?

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:I don't know. I found the way things were in Azado to be a bit unsettling. Lunar has some pretty hardcore moments here and there.
Lol wait, what do you mean? What are you replying to with this?
If it's about the Dark/Gritty part, that's one of the awesome things about RPGs!
They are lighthearted in general, but when something dark happens, it has a lasting effect.
Dark/gritty shooters are just that, nothing else. No impact. A million people could die in those types of shooter games and no one will care. Which is why im surprised that style of videogame doesn't go out of style. Nintendo understands this at least, and always strives for quality. Which is why it's weird how this trailer for Federation Force came out.
Leo wrote:They might decide to up their game if they see people claiming someone else is doing THEIR THING better than they are.
While this makes total sense and I support this idea, we HAVE already been doing that since 1997 :lol:
Remember Symphony of the Night? (sarcasm)
"Metroidvania" is even a genre tag on Steam. If 3 GBA "metroidvanias" and 3 DS "metroidvanias" didn't send them the message, i doubt Axiom Verge would, sadly.
In fact, sometimes I wonder if Nintendo is well aware of this and just wants to start a different type of thing.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I get the comparison. Though I do like that the term is shifting to "Igavania" now.

And I loved every minute of both Lunar's on Sega CD and Playstation. Imagine living in a society that's like how Mauri had Azado running, though. I'd rather go insane listening to everyone sing in Lyton or put up with the incestuous citizens of Meryod.