Way to go, Nintendo!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Leo
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Way to go, Nintendo!

Post by Leo »

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/250120-nint ... -hd-remake

Because a fan-made game that nobody is making money off of is incredibly detrimental to Nintendo, right? Nintendo has behaved this way on multiple fan projects and Square has too. When will the people making fan games or remakes learn to shut the hell up until it's completed and online?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Way to go, Nintendo!

Post by Sonic# »

It could be detrimental to their intellectual property claims, which is the usual argument I've heard for companies cracking down on fan projects. I'd welcome someone who knows more on the topic speaking to that.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I've heard people say that but there are TONS of different fanmade Mario games that pretty much everyone knows about yet Mario is still Nintendo's IP.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

What makes most sense to me is that Nintendo thinks people might play that game, for free, and not spend money on their product. Mario is their biggest cash cow, after all. But who knows why they only go after certain fan games, then.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Leo wrote:I've heard people say that but there are TONS of different fanmade Mario games that pretty much everyone knows about yet Mario is still Nintendo's IP.
They were trying to port a specific game. That leads to issues that, say, a new Mario game using the physics and icons from Super Mario World would not run across. Someone might play the fan game instead of buying Super Mario 64, whereas someone could not obtain any of the other fangames and get a one-for-one port of a game they'd otherwise have to pay for.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:When will the people making fan games or remakes learn to shut the hell up until it's completed and online?
LOL this has me very intrigued. What could possibly happen once its complete, online, and you have a copy of it?
Why give the companies a chance to request removals?
There was a 3D Chrono Trigger fan project and it went just like this too.
So, it's like playing the rom is fine, but playing the fan made version is near impossible? So confused right now.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I agree that they should learn to can it until it's ready to go, but one reason they don't, is because they want support. They want to know that people even care about what they're doing, and would want to play it. They want and need encouragement when it's hard, and look to prospective players.

But that's something they'll need to learn to live without, because, "Oh, I'm so sorry, Square/Nintendo/Whoever... We already distributed it for free, and now you'll never stop the flow of a thousand other people offering it, even if we remove ours."

Taiyaki
Meribian Merchant

Post by Taiyaki »

Sega also did that to the team behind the Streets of Rage fan game which was actually worse because the project was ongoing for many years and it's only after it was finally complete that they had their lawyers send the letters. :(

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Sonic# wrote:
Leo wrote:I've heard people say that but there are TONS of different fanmade Mario games that pretty much everyone knows about yet Mario is still Nintendo's IP.
They were trying to port a specific game. That leads to issues that, say, a new Mario game using the physics and icons from Super Mario World would not run across. Someone might play the fan game instead of buying Super Mario 64, whereas someone could not obtain any of the other fangames and get a one-for-one port of a game they'd otherwise have to pay for.
I replayed Ocarina Of Time on PC with high res texture packs that made the game look incredible. Fanslations, HD-fan remakes, non-canon sequels and things like that are the sincerest form of flattery and since they aren't turning a profit, it's definitely not an attack.

If Nintendo would think a little, they'd realize that they should be EMPLOYING these people rather than sending them cease and desist letters and things like that. It's not like they're making the N64 edition of Super KKK Bros. It's not like the video demo they had taken down was playing "Anything you can do I can do better!" in the background.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Nintendo has had over thirty years to think about protecting their intellectual property. (Longer if you count before video games, slightly shorter if you only mean "on the internet.")

I wasn't suggesting fangames were turning a profit. I'm suggesting that Nintendo opposes direct remakes because they are free replacements of products that Nintendo already offers. If people download Super Mario 64 for free rather than getting the DS or VC version, that hurts them.

Also, if people have previously published copies of Nintendo's games and Nintendo hasn't legally asserted their ownership, then Nintendo will have greater difficulty in a court defending their intellectual property from being copied by a for-profit company. Not defending their copyright sets a precedent that the other company can cite as reason that they are allowed to copy the game. In short, if Nintendo doesn't defend their copyrights, they risk losing them. That has nothing to do with whether or not they like fan communities - if they have to defend their work, that comes first.

Similar things have happened in the Elder Scrolls community. It has a thriving mod community, but developers have made it clear that modders cannot use game assets from prior games, since that offers Bethesda's paid content without requiring players to pay for the prior games. For the Skywind (Morrowind in Skyrim's engine) project, the developers can't pull assets directly from the earlier game. Instead, all of the assets must be recreated by fans, including the music and textures. They've also made it so that you require copies of both Morrowind and Skyrim to play, so that Bethesda won't object that gamers are getting their property for free.
Sonic#

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Sonic# wrote:I wasn't suggesting fangames were turning a profit. I'm suggesting that Nintendo opposes direct remakes because they are free replacements of products that Nintendo already offers. If people download Super Mario 64 for free rather than getting the DS or VC version, that hurts them.

Also, if people have previously published copies of Nintendo's games and Nintendo hasn't legally asserted their ownership, then Nintendo will have greater difficulty in a court defending their intellectual property from being copied by a for-profit company. Not defending their copyright sets a precedent that the other company can cite as reason that they are allowed to copy the game. In short, if Nintendo doesn't defend their copyrights, they risk losing them. That has nothing to do with whether or not they like fan communities - if they have to defend their work, that comes first.
ROMs and ISOs are typically downloaded by broke people who can't spend money on games in the first place. At least when it comes to emulators, which tend to only run properly and with full support ten years after the system comes out. Virtual Console games should have something added to them to lure gamers in that direction. Be it a visual upgrade or a bit of extra content. I don't support emulating games that are still available in places like Target and Walmart by playing them on your hacked system. I don't know if the Xbox One, Playstation 4 or Wii U can be hacked or not, though.

I have a hard time believing that a fan releasing a work that he did singlehandedly or with a handful of people and just set a download link on the internet for people to just take would lead to a game developer making a Mario or Zelda game, using Nintendo's music and characters and expecting to get away with it..not even if they offered to split the profits with Nintendo. Nintendo should seriously be offering these people jobs.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'm not talking about why people download ROMs or ISOs. Their motives are irrelevant; doing so is illegal. Companies and individuals have a right to their intellectual property, and they should be able to defend it. Unfortunately, that means defending it even when players mean no harm.

As for whether a company would copy intellectual property, look at the Giana Sisters or any of a number of Mario clones. There are also several mall kiosks over the years that have purported to have machines that allow one to play knock-off Mario and other games. Like I said, Nintendo has been at this a while. They know the legal ground they have to tread far better than you do.
Sonic#

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Then it looks like the only solution is to get as many people as possible spreading the "Hey! Shut up until it's finished!" mindset until it sticks. I wish IGN or GameStop would do an article about people clamming up and just releasing it silently.