Transistor is an amazing game.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Transistor is an amazing game.

Post by Jenner »

Hey chumps.

Go buy and play Transistor. It's often on sale on Steam but it's actually worth full price. It's a profoundly beautiful game with an utterly amazing soundtrack.

The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Transistor is an amazing game.

Post by Kizyr »

Descriptions and images can't really do justice to how amazing this game is.

I try to provide a harsh rating system (Lunar is sometimes an exception because of personal bias, but oh well). In other words, a fun game like Grandia gets a 6/10, a good game like Final Fantasy Tactics gets a 7/10, a great game like Chrono Trigger gets an 8/10, and an amazing game like Lunar: TSS gets a 9/10. There are perhaps 2-3 games that to me are so flawless that they merit a 10/10. Lunar: Eternal Blue is one, and Transistor is another.

...so, to put it simply, I rate Transistor up there with Lunar: Eternal Blue. I mean, Transistor is shorter (about 10-15 hours for a single playthrough) so maybe I won't build my life around it. But... the storytelling conventions, the storyline and characters, the gameplay, the music, the art design, just everything is simply flawless. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We started it last night. I didn't really follow it well though because I was deeply engrossed in a book when I-Gene started it up and my brain just didn't have enough attention stockpiled to handle both. I do like the soundtrack though. Good voice acting too. We'll probably play it more tonight.

It was on sale for the amazing price of $0.00 via Playstation Plus, IIRC. That didn't hurt.

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Oh, I didn't even realize this was free on Plus. Guess I'll go download it and give it a whirl.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Argh! Error while saving => save data corrupted. Had to delete and start over. I think we were about 3/4 through the game, too. >_<

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I always play it while my computer is hooked up to the TV (via HDMI). Let's me fully enjoy the sound quality and get immersed in the visuals. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, we're already playing on the TV since it's on PS4. The only problem with that is reflections from other things in the room, like the floor torch -- though actually, that fits in pretty well.

I'm not overly fond of the character portraits, or more specifically their faces. It feels like they don't fit in with the esthetic as much as they could. But that's pretty much my only complaint thus far. We haven't gotten back to where we were when we lost the save data, so I haven't seen the ending yet.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

OK, we finished it. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just ask: is more story revealed through additional playthroughs? Besides potentially getting new bits from using the various functions more fully. I'm not sure if we got all of that. I'm still kind of confused about how much was metaphor and how much was literal. Can take to PM if that seems reasonable. (Say, are you ever on IM, Kiz? And/or Jenner?)

I will say that I didn't care much for the voice of the last character, mainly because he sounded a lot like, well, a programmer I knew who was in his 50s or so. Just could not match that up to the character portrait.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:OK, we finished it. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just ask: is more story revealed through additional playthroughs? Besides potentially getting new bits from using the various functions more fully. I'm not sure if we got all of that. I'm still kind of confused about how much was metaphor and how much was literal. Can take to PM if that seems reasonable. (Say, are you ever on IM, Kiz? And/or Jenner?)

I will say that I didn't care much for the voice of the last character, mainly because he sounded a lot like, well, a programmer I knew who was in his 50s or so. Just could not match that up to the character portrait.
So, there is quite a bit more background revealed about the characters, their motives, and Cloudbank/society in general, by playing through and getting all 3 of the information details for each character (and a little more from applying the limiters, but that just gives you info on the Process-based enemies). It took me 1¾ playthroughs to get all of that.

There is the main story that you get via the game and direct interactions, true, but those storyline bits and everything else in the background feel a lot like puzzle pieces falling into place, which eventually form a cohesive structure, even though you don't necessarily get those pieces in a linear order.

Anyway, I have my theories on the game, Cloudbank, the process, and the characters. We can try discussing it here with a bunch of spoiler tags, or take it elsewhere (I don't use AIM anymore... I either do Facebook messenger or, sometimes, email). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)