Breath of Fire III - Australian scene................

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Breath of Fire III - Australian scene................

Post by jay_are »

*facepalms*
OK guys. I was playing Breath of Fire III, and I'm loving the game, even though it's easy to notice the dialogue is kinda weird and unpolished.
Something tells me that this game got butchered in it's english translation, and I'm really sad to say that because I had higher hopes for the dialogue, judging by the graphics and music. Or maybe I'm wrong!
There's this scene with a dolphin that apparently speaks Australian, but the game asks you if you want to replay the scene when you meet him just because the dialect was so strong that the player might not have understood it. Im not the least bit Australian but I have an idea of how they speak, and it still was SO EMBARRASSING and silly to me that i had to facepalm myself away from the game for a break xD. I'm offended a bit actually. I think the game tried too hard to be funny. But I wanna hear your opinion guys. Maybe I am not culturally educated enough to laugh at this? The person that uploaded the video likes it, so maybe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA62q1STU4A

Watch from the beginning to 3:40.
Last edited by jay_are on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nadiaff
Burg Farmer

Re: Breath of Fire III - Australian scene................

Post by nadiaff »

Ahaha, oh my god, what were they even thinking? I have a feeling that they had the dolphin speak a dialect in Japanese and they were trying to go for the same effect in English so they somehow picked Australian??

Now I'm really curious what this scene was like in Japanese. I wonder if I have a Japanese copy of the game. Need to go searching.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

There was a similar scene in Austin Powers 3, in which he and his father have a conversation almost entirely comprised of European slang. Subtitles are on the bottom of the screen.

Same joke, just in a game. Yes, they're poking fun at Australians. Unless you're from Australia, and can't stand getting poked fun at, I don't see what there is to get offended about.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Not sure I see the problem here. They talk funny in upside-down land.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

They talk funny there. Almost every country or even person has their thing. But it's unfunny how you're asked to repeat the scene. Someone could have explained it after or something, or leave it like that for the player to guess. It's so random...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think something like this was actually a bit of a plot point in Monkey Island 4 -- there's a new pirate in town who's defeating all the other pirates at insult swordfighting -- because they can't understand what he's saying (both accent and slang) so can't riposte to top his insult. I don't remember whether he was specifically called Australian or if that's just what was strongly implied.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ Yes, Ozzie Mandrill was Australian.

It does sound funny to me. I'm sure that Australians don't think that they talk funny though. I wonder how an Australian would respond to the scene - would they hear it normally, or would they be sensitive to how it sounds like a stereotype? (I have that issue with many Hollywood "southern accents.")
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Honestly, getting offended over something like this just seems petty. It's like trying to look for a grenade to jump on just so you can say it hurt you. It's a joke. If you think the joke is poor, then that's your opinion and you're free to it. To get offended for an entire group of people though, I don't see the point. It's like when people say "Americans are all fat". Well, it's not true. In fact, we're not the leaders in the belly bulge. But it's a stereotype and it's worthy of a chuckle every now and again.

What you witnessed was a poor joke that was simply that, a joke. It was a prod, a poke, and a riff. There is no need to feel rustled over such things.