Pre-ordering?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
brit
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Pre-ordering?

Post by brit »

Is it worth it? I kind of want to pre-order a copy of Tales of Xillia 2, but I know normally when I gave it (pre-ordering) a chance my local Game Stop always seemed to mess it up in the past. They would run out of copies and tell me to come back. Or forget to call me until the week after release, and my personal favorite when they gave my pre-order bonuses to other people who didn't pre-order (back when they were just loose things not attached to the actual game box).

Have you guys pre-ordered games before and had issues?

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: Pre-ordering?

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I have always had zero problems with Gamestop, at least with pre-ordering in their stores. I can't speak for ordering on their website as I have only done it once for a game guide. Whenever I pre-order, they always have my game the same day it is suppose to be released. I don't know if all Gamestops do this, but the ones in my area send out an automated calls telling me a few days in advance when my game is going to come out. I think they also send texts to your phone as well if you have a cell phone number in their system, but I have always had a regular phone in their system so I can't speak for the texting thing.

I could of course, be blessed with having good Gamestops in my area though considering how many people usually end up complaining about Gamestop. Out of the three Gamestops that I shop at in my area (one being out of town), all of them are pretty good and I have gone to all three of these Gamestops forever.

Also, with a lesser known RPG like Tales of Xillia 2, they usually don't get very many copies. The less known the game, the better it is to pre-order it to be on the safe side. That's just my experience though. I pre-ordered Xillia 2 myself, actually. :P

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Yeah, I've also never had any problems with GameStop, though I've heard plenty of bad stories. I think you just have to judge 'em on a case-by-case basis. The people who work at my local one are really cool and hook me up with free stuff pretty often.

That aside, however, I've never had a problem picking up a copy of a game on or soon after its release, unless it's a limited box. Speaking of which, I'm kinda worried about my Xillia 2 LE pre-order. My delivery estimate for it on Amazon says some jive-ass--Dragon Diamond-.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

In my experience, it depends on the location. Some places are really good about honoring pre-orders. A few have oversold the copies they have available. My suggestion is to only pre-order from a place that has positive reviews about pre-ordering, and to leave reviews on Yelp or Google noting when they fail to satisfy expectations. Otherwise, I would just pre-order online.

The last game I preordered was Xenoblade Chronicles, because I was worried about there being copies available. I did that online through Nintendo, and received the game through the mail in a timely fashion. So there are reasons to do it, and it can work.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time