Meanwhile, playing Dragon Quest V

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Meanwhile, playing Dragon Quest V

Post by jay_are »

I encounter a tower which I have to enter from the top.

I attach the grappling hook and climb down into the tower.

Oh look :P just like Lunar 2 in the beginning! Cool!
But holy crap. Look a this shocking discovery a few steps ahead:

But it only gets more shocking:

You get to place the dragon's eyes after someone has taken them!
I had to look for the SNES (SFC) version to see what this scene looked like:

It's a lot bigger than the characters.

So now I have a question:
Did Lunar 2 get inspired by Dragon Quest V? Or did both games get inspired by something else?
I wouldn't know.

Leo
BANNED

Re: Meanwhile, playing Dragon Quest V

Post by Leo »

I haven't played a Dragon Quest game before but this is incredibly intriguing. This game is 3 years older than Lunar 2. Granted it's been ages since I've watched any of the Indiana Jones movies, that's the kind of feel that the opening to Lunar 2 had so maybe they were inspired by that?

There needs to be more research on this.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

My hunch is that it's a common JRPG/adventure motif to put the eyes in things. I'm in a hurry now - I can think of a (NSFW) Oglaf comic featuring a giant statue with gem-stone eyes, and on a quick Google search The Simpsons for the Wii have a parody of the puzzle where you put Maggie in the eye of a dragon gate.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Video games begin and end with Dragon Quest. I'm playing DQIV right now, and it's like I've found the missing link. It's kind of mind boggling how many of the games I enjoyed back in the day take their queues from it.
「まあいいけど。」

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Shiva Indis, I am unsure how I feel about that if Dragon Quest is such a powerful influence.
I am proud, cause I love Dragon Quest! But then I am sad cause I was expecting something bigger I do not know of XD.
That head still seems like its referencing something the player should be familiar with already.
BTW, Hiro himself looks a bit like Bartz (or Butz) from Final Fantasy V. Brown hair, blue clothes, and Butz sometimes has a cape.