Is Popful Mail (Sega CD) overrated?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Is Popful Mail (Sega CD) overrated?

Post by Kizyr »

nadiaff wrote:It'll probably always be one of my favorite games, but the gameplay was atrocious. This was the game that taught me how to swear and also how to throw my controller across the room.

I recently got the SFC version and tried playing it on the Retron 5. I just don't have the patience to struggle through it like I did when I was 13.
Huh... I mean it was a bit hard, but I just don't remember it being that much of a challenge. I played the SFC one quite recently too (maybe 1-2 years ago), and had an easier time with it than I remember the Sega CD version to be. Though honestly that end-boss got a little button-mashy + spam heal items, but that was it as far as I remember.
nadiaff wrote:But man, I memorized lines from that game. Sven T. Uncommon and Venuncio are still very fond memories. I think at one point, during my younger years, I actually sat down and transcribed all of the audio dialog into text. I can't remember what possessed me to do this but it took a really long time. I probably still have that file somewhere.

Man, I was a weird kid.
I still remember so many of those lines!

"Too much Venuncio can be bad for your health!"
"With this tin foil, paper clip, used gum, and bat droppings, I've crafted us a bomb that's sure to get us out of this place!" (Slick)
"If I don't get my weekly dose of Heather I'm gonna be *pretty* upset..." (also Slick)

...now that I think about it, since it was a bit of an average platformer, those goofy lines might be the only thing that made it really memorable. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)